PDA

View Full Version : Computer Diving Software

Roughwater
12-05-2007, 03:07
Hi,

I'm just wondering - do you use any software for diving (ie, log books, calculating dive profiles, etc)?

If so
- what do you use?
- what do you think of it?
- whould you recommend it
- is it freeware / shareware or did it come with an item you purchased?

I'm just looking at getting an idea of what's out there that may be able to help me with my diving. In particular dive log software that is compatible with various computers - but all in all, I'm also interseted in anything that anyone might use for diving.

Cheers

Adam.

Matt P
12-05-2007, 06:11
I dive with a Suunto computer. I use their "Dive Manager" software. It's ok - does the job but could be much better. It came with the USB download cable I purchased. I would recommend it to Suunto users who (1) just want a quick solutions and (2) can find a used download cable for sale b/c the retail price is just too high.

cummings66
12-05-2007, 07:18
I use Oceanlog and then the divelog software from Ghost that you will find a link to in the DIY section here. I like his, the printouts are what I like most about it.

I've tried the others out there but so far they have not done anything for me.

tarheeldiver
12-05-2007, 09:04
I use Oceanlog and then the divelog software from Ghost that you will find a link to in the DIY section here. I like his, the printouts are what I like most about it.

I've tried the others out there but so far they have not done anything for me.
I've used these two both are pretty good the Oceanlog is for Oceanic computers what type do you use?

RoadRacer1978
12-05-2007, 09:18
I've been using one I ound somewhere that is a Micosoft Access database. It works well, but I enter everythin manually. I need to download Ghosts program and give it a try. I'm still not using a dive computer, but when I do I know I will want something I can download into and the access program does not have that capability. Plus I keep a hand writen log. I just like having a computer program so I can look at different statistics from my dives, but don't want to carry my laptop with me on every dive outing.

bubbletrubble
12-05-2007, 11:58
I'm a Mac user, so I was really disappointed to find out that all of the major dive computer manufacturers only support PCs. Frustrated with the situation, I bought a separate dive logger, the Sensus Ultra device. It's a very compact product (1" x 1.3" x 1.75") that you clip onto your BC; it's so small that you just forget about it during your dive. The best part about it is that the manufacturers provide freely downloadable software which supports Mac, PC, and Palm OS computers. I like the user interface of the software, and it is very stable. If you can't find a cheap, used download cable and you're fed up with paying for ridiculously overpriced USB cables, I would consider the Sensus Ultra. It will cost a little more than the download cable for your dive computer, but you'll be able to download the data on pretty much any computer you may have.

Mycroft
12-05-2007, 12:22
Software? you asked for it:

1. The software that came with my original computer. I ended up writing software to extract the data (had to figure out the data file by myself). That software also went to Project Dive Exploration and Petar Denoble.

2. The software from my current computer. Fortunately in needing to extract the data, several of us around the world worked on extracting the data. I have 2 different format dump programs I currently use. One for the diabetic protocal doctor (Duke Scott) and one for to text dumping. I also had to format a program myself to load in the data from my first dive computer.

3. The dive software from that manufacturers newest computers, which fortunately can read my computer's files. Then I use this software to output data files for Project Dive Exploration. I was one of several people that have cracked the password on the database this program uses. I then mapped the data structures and e-mailed it back to the programmer, whom I have now been in coorespondence with for several years. (You can thank me for several bug fixes and new features to the current Uwatec software, due to this). There is still one field that has resisted complete mapping in this program.

4. I am a beta tester for Aqua Dive log, which allows for me to port my data down to my PDA. I also put the author of that software in touch with Uwatec, and am therefore partly responsible for that software on Uwatec's site.

MSilvia
12-05-2007, 12:27
I don't use a computer for logging, but I do use one for planning decompression dives and cutting my own custom dive tables using V-Planner (http://www.hhssoftware.com/v-planner/index_gs.html). It's excellent software for divers moving beyond recreational limits, and I recommend it to anyone doing dives with deco or multiple gas switches, although it definately is not an appropriate tool for those who don't know how to plan these dives without software. It uses VPM and VPM-B decompression models for it's planning algorithms.

It isn't shareware or freeware, and it isn't included with any product I'm aware of. Registration of the software is $85.

texdiveguy
12-05-2007, 12:35
I don't use a computer for logging, but I do use one for planning decompression dives and cutting my own custom dive tables using V-Planner. It's excellent, and I recommend it to anyone doing dives with deco or multiple gas switches.

I am on the same fence as Matt with minor difference in planning software...I use Deco Planner 3.0. I log all dives the 'old school' way. Several good dive planning softwares are on the market...V-Planner is very popular as is my pick Deco Planner https://secure.gue.com/catalog/order/software.shtml ...look around.

*Disclaimer: Staged decompression diving should not be attempted without proper instruction and certification, mastery of dive planning software alone is not sufficient in and of itself.

CompuDude
12-05-2007, 13:25
Hi,

I'm just wondering - do you use any software for diving (ie, log books, calculating dive profiles, etc)?

If so
- what do you use?
- what do you think of it?
- whould you recommend it
- is it freeware / shareware or did it come with an item you purchased?

I'm just looking at getting an idea of what's out there that may be able to help me with my diving. In particular dive log software that is compatible with various computers - but all in all, I'm also interseted in anything that anyone might use for diving.

Cheers

Adam.

I use the software that came with my computer: Uwatec's SmartTrak, which is actually free for anyone to download but only directly connects with Uwatec computers (you can enter by hand all you want, though). Generally, you'll want to use the software that came with your computer, but sometimes there are other options that may fit your needs better. Actually, I use SmartTrak in combination with AquaDiveLog (http://www.aquadivelog.org), mentioned by Mycroft above. Great combination!

Once good piece of software that is not free but is excellent and works with the largest variety of computers I've seen is DivingLog.de (http://www.divinglog.de). Worth checking out the free trial, and only $40ish if you decide to buy.

Mycroft
12-05-2007, 15:09
I use the software that came with my computer: Uwatec's SmartTrak, which is actually free for anyone to download but only directly connects with Uwatec computers (you can enter by hand all you want, though). Generally, you'll want to use the software that came with your computer, but sometimes there are other options that may fit your needs better. Actually, I use SmartTrak in combination with AquaDiveLog (http://www.aquadivelog.org), mentioned by Mycroft above. Great combination!

Actually, it is Datatrak, Smarttrak and Aquadivelog that I use all together. The programmer I have a direct line to? The programmer responsible for Smarttrak! Smarttrak is also the one that we cracked the password for.

And if you re already using Smarttrak, then I invite you to join Project Dive Exploration with DAN. You just have to get a reporting number assigned, and enter that into Smarttrak once. Then you fill out after action fields in Smartrak after each dive, and export the dive info. Then you e-mail rthat dive info to DAN and you are part of the project.

CompuDude
12-05-2007, 15:14

Actually, it is Datatrak, Smarttrak and Aquadivelog that I use all together. The programmer I have a direct line to? The programmer responsible for Smarttrak! Smarttrak is also the one that we cracked the password for.

And if you re already using Smarttrak, then I invite you to join Project Dive Exploration with DAN. You just have to get a reporting number assigned, and enter that into Smarttrak once. Then you fill out after action fields in Smartrak after each dive, and export the dive info. Then you e-mail rthat dive info to DAN and you are part of the project.

I already have a PDE number. :) I just have to get around to setting everything up and start doing it. The post-dive questionnaire is a killer for me. I'm lazy, what can I say?

If you know the SmartTrak programmer, perhaps you could pass one a couple suggestions: Add in an import function (excel, csv, etc), and export function (ditto), and a decent report writer! (The printing options are beyond pathetic and the main reason I bought DivingLog) Lots of other minor annoyances, but overall I really like SmartTrak... far more fully featured than anything else out there.

Mycroft
12-06-2007, 09:19
I already have a PDE number. :) I just have to get around to setting everything up and start doing it. The post-dive questionnaire is a killer for me. I'm lazy, what can I say?

If you know the SmartTrak programmer, perhaps you could pass one a couple suggestions: Add in an import function (excel, csv, etc), and export function (ditto), and a decent report writer! (The printing options are beyond pathetic and the main reason I bought DivingLog) Lots of other minor annoyances, but overall I really like SmartTrak... far more fully featured than anything else out there.

Well then I urge you to fill out those forms! Seriously though it is a good program.

As for your suggestions, they sound like good ones, but before sending them in, maybe we could hammer out some details? As a Data Processing professional, I find that it is much easier to get my fellows to respond to detailed requests then to vague ones. So:

Import function - import what exactly? Just dive header information, or detail depth and air information. Sample formats?
Export function - well, you already have DL7 format. You do know you can get the DL7 spec by asking Petar Denoble (DAN) for it? Or for that matter, I think I have a copy, though it may be out of date. If you need something else, then again, we need to specify the format.
Decent report writer - This is very vague. What exactly do you need / want?

Also, have you downloaded the latest version? There was a new one realeased just about a month ago, partly to support the new Galileo computer.

Anyway, if we iron out some of these specs, I will be happy to forward the requests to the programmer. I can not garuntee any specific results, other then that they will be communicated.

CompuDude
12-06-2007, 10:15
We are diverging from the original thread, but as for import/export, I don't see why there couldn't be an import/export function that covers every single field possible to fill in. Some are y/n, check/uncheck, others are quite simple, but it would enable the user to transfer data to and from other computers. And I'm thinking pure TXT files, so someone can assemble an import file by hand without actually being a programmer. DL7 import/export is only helpful if you have something else that imports/exports DL7. This isn't necessarily for me, note... all of my dives are already in. It would be nice to be able to get them out, however. :) For that matter, it would be nice to be able to import the actual data format from other computers, such as Oceanic and Suunto (to cover the biggest pair).

As to the report writer, I'd like something with more formatting control over the output, for printing actual printed log files for hard copy backup. Currently, IIRC, there are two main options: Print your dives in a super-condensed single-line spreadsheet format that allows you only the bare basics, or print a more inclusive one dive per page with graphs, but the formatting of the output still is pretty pathetic. Compare the output options and report writer of DivingLog (http://divinglog.de/english/download/reports.php?Site=Desktop), which is truly fantastic at this (although not quite 100% perfect due to a heavy internal use of metric and some funky conversions). Take a look at this (http://divinglog.de/english/download/reports/AlphaDivers.pdf) sample log format that someone prepared (using the included report writer) for the DivingLog software, and ask yourself which program produces a nicer printed log. Custom created logbook reports can even be exported and shared with DivingLog, if you're not able to create your own from scratch. By comparison, SmartTrak offers ZERO control over output.

I'm running the current version, 2.01.

We should probably take this to PM or email if you're interested in continuing the discussion. :)

MSilvia
12-06-2007, 10:29
CSV (comma seperated value) import would be a great way to support a variety of data sources, and If I had an export format wish list, XML would be at the top of it.

Mycroft
12-06-2007, 12:23

I'm running the current version, 2.01.

:)

Actually, I don't see this as beyond the original thread, but we could start another thread.

BTW: The current version is 2.0200 as of last month. You may want to upgrade.

In fact, I think I will start another thread, specifically for this topic, and I will migrate these last few messages.

loudgonzo
12-11-2007, 10:41
I'm a Mac user, so I was really disappointed to find out that all of the major dive computer manufacturers only support PCs.

Mac leopard can be configured to run just like Windows, you can download to Apple then couldn't you?