PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Gear

PhD4JC
12-05-2007, 08:54
What is the best, most useful scuba gear you have ever purchased?

What is the most useless piece of scuba debris you have ever purchased?

for me (I'm still a newbie in the gear category),

useful: Sherwood O2/Nitrox computer. I feel so much safer diving my OWN profile, and I dont have to remember to check surface intervals, water temp, or ask someone else for data.

useless: full footed fins. I guess they worked when I had nothing else, but now I would not be caught dead (well, maybe dead, then I wouldnt care) in the ocean without shoes on, even under my fins. Especially during shore entry and exit.

navyhmc
12-05-2007, 08:59
Most useful: I have to agree with the computer.
Most useless: The Nautilus CVS BCD or maybe the Sea-voice underwater voicemitter

I still keep my full foot fins to putter around in the pool and for snorkelling in lakes.

Grin
12-05-2007, 09:13
Most useless thing I ever bought:
Zeagle Octo inflator
I am a big Zeagle fan and have Zeagle regs etc... But that item they sold me is a total POS. I dove it one day, it freeflowed. I had it adjusted by the shop and the next dive it fell apart(unscrewed and parts disapeared into the blue). New parts ordered. Freeflowed. Left at shop to have fixed. Called Zeagle to have it repaired. I forget the rest, as I have tuned that situation out of my life. It's still there at that shop. That was 2-3 years ago. I feel it's junk and I cannot sell it to anyone on Ebay as it doesn't work. Every company has good and bad items. Put that one on your list of "never try this thing from this company". I have heard many of the same reports from others about the Zeagle Octo Inflator. What a letdown that thing was! It was well worth the price of not going to pick it up and try it again. Some things are just better chalked up to a bad situation and ditched.

RoadRacer1978
12-05-2007, 09:30
There are few peices of gear I would call worthless. To me each peice of gear has a purpose and if you are planning a dive and need that particular piece of gear, then it serves a purpose and will be useful. A 7mm suit would be very useful in cold water, but would be useless if diving in a hot spring.
The only exception I could see would be the peices of gear that are designed from a marketing standpoint to look cool and get the buyers attention without being designed to fullfill some aspect of diving.

LiteHedded
12-05-2007, 09:55
i bought a tank banger once :D

mitsuguy
12-05-2007, 10:37
i've been pretty careful with all my gear purchases thus far... I love my bcd and computer, but the rest works equally well... no regrets thus far...

bubbletrubble
12-05-2007, 11:43
Best Gear Purchases: Nitrox-capable dive computer, drysuit, reg setup with sealed first stage, spring straps for fins, gaiters (for the drysuit), BP/W, HP100 steel tank

Worst Gear Purchases: Ankle weights, too many octo keeper/bally thingies, a drysuit hanger which doesn't even work with my drysuit

Fortunately, I've been pretty careful with my large scuba gear purchases. I also have buddies who have had to resell hastily bought, ill-fitting gear on various websites (Ebay/Craigslist/ScubaBoard/ScubaToys).

ScubaJW
12-05-2007, 12:24
Best: Atomic Frameless mask (unbelievably vision and fits my narrow face) and Apollo Biofins

Worst: Jacket-style BC (I don't like the feeling of air all around me and I got rid of it)

terrillja
12-05-2007, 13:07
Best Gear Purchases: Nitrox-capable dive computer, drysuit, reg setup with sealed first stage, spring straps for fins, gaiters (for the drysuit), BP/W, HP100 steel tank

Worst Gear Purchases: Ankle weights, too many octo keeper/bally thingies, a drysuit hanger which doesn't even work with my drysuit

Fortunately, I've been pretty careful with my large scuba gear purchases. I also have buddies who have had to resell hastily bought, ill-fitting gear on various websites (Ebay/Craigslist/ScubaBoard/ScubaToys).

What weight are the ankle weights, I'm looking for a set of 2lb weights.

LI Diver
12-05-2007, 13:18
Yeh, whats up with those scuzball octo keepers??? I couldn't figure out why the octo always came out,but then I thought about it and obviously if you accidently hit the purge on the reg it blows right out of the holder!!!!

Diver Kat
12-05-2007, 13:29
Best piece of gear - Zeagle Zena BC ... hated the old cumberbund thing I had, hated the velcro sticking to my wetsuit .... Love the Zena as the vest zips up the front, it's easy to tighten up underwater, it's comfy and it unclips apart for easy travel packing ...

Worst piece of gear - well I can't say it was the worst, but I hated my XS Scuba rolling backpack - 1st one the wheels rusted, the replacement wasn't much better in the it didn't balance so that you could roll it properly and the straps would catch in the wheels. Plus it was too heavy for travel. That 50# allowance can disappear fast with some heavy scuba gear! (The compact version backpack that XS Scuba sent as a replacement for #2 doesn't roll, but works very well for a shorter person.)

As for the Zeagle Octo+ inflator - I've had one on my BC since I bought it more than 4 years ago, and it's still working great. Other than needing a tune-up for a little bubbling at one point, I've had no problems. So I don't know if I got lucky, or if Grin was just unlucky with his ....

Oh yeah ... I agree on the stupid Octo holders ... we have a wide assortment of them in the bottom of the junk gear box ... 99% of them never worked like they said ....

bubbletrubble
12-05-2007, 13:34
Terrilja,

The ankle weights are 1.5 pounds each. They really aren't worth shipping all the way across the country. Maybe ST or your LDS has one pounders available.

What weight are the ankle weights, I'm looking for a set of 2lb weights.

dallasdivergirl
12-05-2007, 13:41
Best: Nitrox computer, my back inflate bdc

worst: mask that didn't fit, booties that had seam running up the back.

mitchy
12-06-2007, 18:31
I like all my gear so far. I dive Sherwood Avid BC and Blizzard reg. The only thing I detest is the octo holder. The octo pops out, and with gloves it is impossible to get back in.

Can't wait to get a computer next.

buddhasummer
12-06-2007, 19:09
worst: one of those noise maker shaker things, what was I thinking...
Best: apollo bio-metal mask...finally a mask that actually fits my apparently strange shaped face....* a little on the pricey side but hey it fits...

wheelman
12-06-2007, 19:15
Best: computer
Worst: short boots

somewhereinla
12-06-2007, 21:49
My first BC was a Mares morphos limited edition, it was well built but was a terrible BCD, it was very heavy and didn't have any feedback as far as the bc being empty, I never knew if air was trap or not, just a badly design bc...

Roughwater
12-07-2007, 00:53
Best: Scuba Shaker / tank banger.
Worst: Dive tables... seriously - who needs them? :smiley2:

OK - seriously, the best thing I've bought besides my computer (already listed) would be my drysuit. Absolutely love it!

But since we're supposed to be talking about small items, I'd go with camera with underwater housing. Best decision I've ever made (especially that the camera has a video mode, which does some good shots).

Worst thing would be the scuba shaker. Down here in temperate waters with hoods on, no one hears these things at all (although it does make a sound in the pool).

PhD4JC
12-07-2007, 08:09
what's wrong with short boots?
I just bought a pair (they havent arrived yet)
should I have read this earlier?

Best: computer
Worst: short boots

mitsuguy
12-07-2007, 09:29
Worst thing would be the scuba shaker. Down here in temperate waters with hoods on, no one hears these things at all (although it does make a sound in the pool).

heh, my OW instructor swore by his homemade scuba shaker (couple pieces of pvc and a nut inside), but in our OW checkout dives, I couldn't hear anything due to the hood... it did work well in the pool, as you said however...

MSilvia
12-07-2007, 09:37
The only thing I detest is the octo holder. The octo pops out, and with gloves it is impossible to get back in.
I must have tried a dozen different octo holders before I went with my current setup that doesn't require one. The best I found was one of the cheapo silicone snorkle keepers like this:
http://www.scuba.com/images/snorkels/H2O-Snorkel-Keeper-Silicone.jpg
You can attach it to a D-ring by putting one loop through the other, and then you just tuck the mouthpiece of the octo through the free end. It might cost a buck, and it works like a charm.

The best gear in my opinion is the humble mask. It makes every other piece of gear worth having, and can make an otherwise mundane swim an exploration adventure all by itself. Back when I was a 10 year old doggy-paddler who wouldn't go in the deep end of the pool, someone gave me a mask and it immediately changed my world. A few weeks later, I passed all the tests for my swim class (except for the "Australian Crawl", which I never did master), was comfortable opening my eyes underwater, and had signed up for Red Cross junior lifeguard lessons. The following year, I was jumping off bridges into the ocean, swimming across channels in the current, etc. Thank you mask.

The worst is a toss up between the 11 octo-keepers that stunk, and the tank bangers and other underwater noisemakers that seemed neat when I didn't know any better, but which I now consider worthless. My underwater laser pointer would have made the list, except that it's provided my cat with hours of entertainment.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
12-07-2007, 11:22
A lot of good answers, but I look at it from a different persepective.

Is my heart better than my brain? Are my kidney's better than my liver?

I can no more have a best piece of gear anymore than I can have a best organ, so I guess I'll have to say that my best piece of gear is my complete system with each part playing an important role. If it weren't playing an important role it wouldn't be diving with me.

Do I value some pieces more. Sure I do. I value my regulators more than my slate just as I value my heart more than my thumb. Would I want to be without either of them? No way.

mitchy
12-09-2007, 15:16
After a few too many beer last night, I'm going to say that most of my organs are better than my brain and liver.

Navy OnStar
12-09-2007, 16:59
After a few too many beer last night, I'm going to say that most of my organs are better than my brain and liver.
:smilie39::smilie39: Been there! And I never seem to learn my lesson!! :smilie39::smilie39:

I do agree that all your gear has to work together.
The gear I like the best is my Scubapro Knighthawk BCD and my Scubapro M25/S600 reg. (I am in no way affiliated with Scubapro)
The gear that gives me the most sense of security is my mirror and strobe.

OnStar

tarheeldiver
12-09-2007, 19:30
My best gear is my Zeagle Brigade bc I love it

WaScubaDude
12-09-2007, 20:27
The worst is easy. My computer. I dont have to bad mouth anyone in perticular as they all make beeping noises. Ruins the wonderful quiet of the sea.

MARTINB1368
12-09-2007, 20:39
My best is my SeaQuest tech vest and SP twin jets

Worst is the stupid Snorkle they make you buy that is always in the way of everything you try to do

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 21:26
Hate to say it, but I have never had good quality di e gear. I have alway dove with rental crap and what I purchased back in 1992 - 1993. I cant believe the upgrades and the low prices!!!

PsychDiver
12-10-2007, 11:32
Useful - Computer
Useless - snorkel

TRACI
12-10-2007, 12:26
So far all my equipment has been grea, even the underwater noise rattler!

MSilvia
12-10-2007, 13:27
A lot of good answers, but I look at it from a different persepective.

Is my heart better than my brain? Are my kidney's better than my liver?
Looking at it from that perspective, there are obviously certain things you need, and you wouldn't want to be without them, but others are optional, and of questionable value. Your kidneys and liver might be indespensible, but which is better... your heart, or your tonsils? Also, all hearts are not created equal... Ask a man who just had a triple bypass if he'd prefer a heart that performs better. If he had to get a transplant, do you think he'd prefer the heart of a 28 year old pro triathelete who got shot in the head, or that of a 300 lb. fry cook who died of lung cancer? A heart's a heart, right?

Different organs are different, but your perspective doesn't seem to take into account that you're pretty much stuck with what you're born with... choice doesn't figure into it like it does with dive gear. Genetics mandates what you start with, and the rest is a matter of how you take care of it. If, at birth, you could select the spleen you wanted from several dozen different models, and could change your mind and get a new one at will over the course of your life, the analogy would be more meaningful. Likewise if taking excellent care of a new Genesis Yukon regulator would turn it into a Sherwood Blizzard over the course of ten years.

If you want to use body parts as an analogy, I think more apt questions would be, "Were those new implants worth the money you spent on them?", "Should I get Lasik, or use contact lenses?", "If I know I'm never going to eat corn, should I bother getting dentures?", "I know I'm supposed to have them, but what do guys actually NEED nipples for?", or "Should my replacement hip be titanium, or is that new plastic as good as they say?"

I don't see anyone debating whether regulators are better than fins. I guess I don't follow you.

CaribbeanDiver
12-10-2007, 15:27
BEST: I have to say that I get bored of one style and switch to another and then go back to the old one but each one has its benefits and I like each at different times. From Jacket syle BCD to Back inflate to BP/W; from Reg and secondary reg to Reg and Octo-Inflator, from computer to SPG and Depth Gauge.

Worst: After OW, I cant say I ever used my snorkel; the x-pert zoom split fins are pretty useless; a Halcyon Scout halogen backup light is pretty worthless now that I use LEDs; for the same reason, a Pelican AquaKing 80 light is useless to me, as well.

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 19:51
The Pelican lights used to be the best out there... I guess LED has changed all of that. Does Pelican offer an LED kit or light set??

Z-naught
01-05-2008, 22:53
Most useful: Agir-Brokk (http://www.agir-brokk.com/) backplate/wing rig.

Most useless: snorkel

cheebaweebie
01-06-2008, 07:41
best would be my Rip Tide Zone (Black BC) and my Aeris Atmos computer. Ihate figuring out my profiles etc...

Worst was a crappy pair of genisis open heel fins. Didn't work worth a **** and you were exhausted when you got back to the boat. Some one mentioned using a snorkle keeper above as an octo holder. I have done that. Works great. I bought one of those Dive Rite octo holders and the plastic clip thing (spring in it) broke so I took a SS key ring strung it through and hooked it to my d ring. Looks cool and works great. I even bought a second one dod the same thing to it and hooked it to my dive computer (I have the Aeris Atmos AI with the attached compass) then to my retractor and works awesome. Had to do this becuase the holder on the aeris that connects to the retrator broke off. figures.

divingchef
01-06-2008, 11:16
i bought a tank banger once :D

ditto....tank banger......

I like my Oceanic VEO 250!

Grizbear98
01-06-2008, 21:48
most useful- neoprene gloves

least useful- semi-dry snorkel (can never clear it)

obrules15
04-05-2008, 12:47
Zeagle Octo inflator
I am a big Zeagle fan and have Zeagle regs etc... But that item they sold me is a total POS. I dove it one day, it freeflowed. I had it adjusted by the shop and the next dive it fell apart(unscrewed and parts disapeared into the blue). New parts ordered. Freeflowed. Left at shop to have fixed. Called Zeagle to have it repaired. I forget the rest, as I have tuned that situation out of my life. It's still there at that shop. That was 2-3 years ago. I feel it's junk and I cannot sell it to anyone on Ebay as it doesn't work. Every company has good and bad items. Put that one on your list of "never try this thing from this company". I have heard many of the same reports from others about the Zeagle Octo Inflator. What a letdown that thing was! It was well worth the price of not going to pick it up and try it again. Some things are just better chalked up to a bad situation and ditched.

I wouldn't necessarily say that about the Zeagle Octo inflator, I have had three of that model since '01 without a problem with any of them. The fall apart problem sounds like a shop problem to me. I think you just got a defective one.

obrules15
04-05-2008, 12:51
The worst is easy. My computer. I dont have to bad mouth anyone in perticular as they all make beeping noises. Ruins the wonderful quiet of the sea.

I can make the beeping noise on my computer stop, can't you?

Seriously though, you can program most computers to be silent.

mentalmarine
04-05-2008, 13:29
Worst: The scumball octo holder, like someone said earlier the octo always fell out. Also at the begining of the dive it would always free flow...it was annoying. I wouldnt say worse, but regreted, is my Jacket BCD. I liked it but realized I liked the simplicity of the BP/W setup.

Best: BP/W :) and my Jet fins. I just dont feel comfertable wearing any other kind of fins.

aprilgoddess1987
04-05-2008, 14:45
best atomic z2
worst spare air

frogman159
04-05-2008, 16:11
Useless, Snokel- but hey, I only paid $5 on ST so it wasn't that bad

doczerothree
04-05-2008, 16:26
Tank bangers are a must............not.

coyote
04-05-2008, 19:32
Best: drysuit - as it almost doubled the number of dives I can make in a year. 30cf pony bottle - haven't needed it yet, but I still count it as money well spent.

Worst: Snorkel, gigantic dive knife, tank banger and the multiple octo holders everyone's mentioned.

diver 85
07-07-2008, 15:59
most useful, easy, regulator (so I can put it on a tank--hate those 40 minutes breath hold dives)........

Most useless, 2nd pair of fins to bring down for redundancy(way too bulky....:) )

Sasha_K
07-07-2008, 16:22
Best: Zeagle BC

Worst: it's yet to come :-)

caroln
07-07-2008, 17:14
Best-my rocket fins, atomic frameless mask, bp/w, and salvo can light

Worst-stupid pistol grip light, my cressi mask that doesn't quite fit right (although I did get really good at mask flood and clears having to do it 80 times a dive), a rear inflate bcd that the shop talked me into, a giant pig stabber knife, wimpy plastic fins

RikRaeder
07-07-2008, 17:25
Most useful: my mask...couldn't enjoy the underwater world without it

Least useful: snorkel...just don't use it anymore, although I might if I needed it

Vercingetorix
07-07-2008, 18:10
Beyond mask, regulator, BCD, fins, computer for useful; too obvious, too easy.

Most useful: camera and underwater housing

Least useful: various configurations of "suicide clips" for gear. All replaced by snap-clips

diver 85
07-07-2008, 20:30

Long shot here....but......be in an OOA situation on the top in a 1 to 3 ft chop(let's say for a 20 to 45 minute wait on a dive boat OR a several hundred yard swim to shore) with no snorkel.....tell me you wouldn't mind having a snorkel appear..............

Splitlip
07-07-2008, 20:57

Long shot here....but......be in an OOA situation on the top in a 1 to 3 ft chop(let's say for a 20 to 45 minute wait on a dive boat OR a several hundred yard swim to shore) with no snorkel.....tell me you wouldn't mind having a snorkel appear..............

To quote Johnny Storm "flame on!"

IMO. in 1 to 3 a snorkel will work, but you don't NEED it. If you have stuff bigger, breaking over you, I don't think a snorkel provides any benefit.

Been there, done that (hate the expression).

Surface swim on your back.

navyhmc
07-07-2008, 21:04
least useful- semi-dry snorkel (can never clear it)

That's why I still use the good old stand by curved tube with a mouth piece. Nothing to break and been around forever. That's when I use a snorkel of course.

LRDWILDER
07-07-2008, 21:18
Best: My Zeagle Ranger and Atomic B2

Worst: Retractors...Bought three when I was new into diving...all have broken, and never NEEDED them anyway!

davidlkc
09-30-2008, 17:53
Best: Dive Comp

Worst: Nothing for now.

drako
09-30-2008, 20:03
Worst : Dry snorkel....was extremly expensive....large and difficult to breath out of.
Best: Atom 2.0

Zeagle Eagle
11-10-2008, 23:23
Zeagle Octo inflator
I have the Zeagle Octo-Z. I have only a couple of dives on it so far with no problems. I did do one dive using it as my primary as my ScubaPro s600 split a hose and couldn't be field repaired. It worked just fine. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Maybe they made some improvements between the Octo and the Octo-Z.

Wetnurse28
11-11-2008, 04:08
Best - Atomic M1 reg, 2 Steel 120's, Drysuit, Oceanic VT3 Computer

Worst - Useless Snorkel

If I had been a little more patient buying gear I never would have bought Stab Jacket (Zeagle Brigade). I would have went straight to BP/W.

Splitlip
11-11-2008, 09:16
The original Octo + was a POS.

Zeagle Octo inflator
I have the Zeagle Octo-Z. I have only a couple of dives on it so far with no problems. I did do one dive using it as my primary as my ScubaPro s600 split a hose and couldn't be field repaired. It worked just fine. I will keep an eye on it though. Thanks for the heads up on this one. Maybe they made some improvements between the Octo and the Octo-Z.

Skred
11-11-2008, 10:29
Best: SP mk25/s550

Worst: Dive Optx. I couldn't see the screen on my digital camera at depth. Rather than sucking it up and going prescription (I was in serious denial at the time about needing bifocals), I tried to go the cheaper route. You get what you pay for...:smiley5:

PuyallupCoug
11-13-2008, 15:41
Best: Bare Nex Gen Drysuit - it was my first major purchase of equipment and works great so far (i still dont own regs, BC, or computer but that is coming soon)

Worst: Purge valve mask. I have absolutely no problem purging a normal mask so I don't know what compelled me to buy a purge valve mask but I did.