PDA

View Full Version : What is the most useless piece of dive equipment

tarheeldiver
12-05-2007, 09:12
you have ever bought? Might help save others some money

LI Diver
12-05-2007, 12:10
the pencil on my slate, It keeps breaking!!!!!!!!!

cummings66
12-05-2007, 12:25
What's useless to me might be useful to you. For example, my jacket style BCD is useless to me whereas my BP/W is the most useful thing I have.

I've made mistakes, wrong fins, tanks etc...

Kingpatzer
12-05-2007, 12:27
Retractor clips. they break constantly. I went through about half a dozen before I realized they just suck.

tarheeldiver
12-05-2007, 12:48
What's useless to me might be useful to you. For example, my jacket style BCD is useless to me whereas my BP/W is the most useful thing I have.

I've made mistakes, wrong fins, tanks etc...
I agree I almost bought a jacket when I first started glad I didn't

LI Diver
12-05-2007, 13:03
I was thinking about getting a back inflate b/c but you guy's are making me rethink it!!!!!! Should I go bp/w instead.

ScaredSilly
12-05-2007, 14:57
A dive flag ... I have yet to use it.

navyhmc
12-05-2007, 20:17
Most of my useless gear has been already discussed. But for the most part it's the little fly by night gadgets taht loos really cool until you have to use it underwater and it doesn't work as advertised.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
12-05-2007, 20:28
I have to agree with the slate pencil is pretty useless. However, *the* most useless pieces of gear I have are the Nitrox dive tables that they made me buy for the course. I dive different percentages than the tables are made for.

FishFood
12-05-2007, 20:30
So far it has been my dive knife. Hopefully it will continue that way!

Soonerwink
12-05-2007, 20:40
A mask with a purge valve. It hurt to pinch my nose when equalizing. I hated that mask. Clearing a mask is not that hard. I went back to my Bodyglove snorkel mask.

wheelman
12-05-2007, 20:51
I'm not sure... but I think that everyone needs the school of hard knocks (safety exempt) to a point. You buy stuff you think is what you need to find out what you really need. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes but... and not all people place the same value on every piece.

paintsnow
12-06-2007, 00:12
snorkels...
*ducks to dodge throw scuba tanks and other heavy stuff*

oh wait, this is scubatoys not scubaboard
nevermind
*stands back up*

floater
12-06-2007, 01:18
underwater laser pointer (red) and rattler/noise maker - the laser pointer wasn't really useful - the dot was too small to catch people's attention - my 21W salvo HID get the job done. maybe the green ones work on fish...

the rattler may be good for some people, but i didn't have a good place for it, and therefore never bothered to bring it down. i use thigh pockets so it takes a little bit of time to pull something out of those, whereas if you need someone's attention you probably want it quickly, so you'd have to clip the rattler to a shoulder d-ring or someplace like that. but then it would rattle as you dive... if you have a good place for one, then i guess it's not useless.

my marker tank light is pretty useless too given the 21W HID. people see me.

a basic slate is better than nothing i guess, but i prefer wetnotes or a wrist slate, so i sold my regular slate.

doc's pro plugs. (ear plugs for diving). i bought them because people rave about them and i like ear plugs for swimming, but i could never be bothered to put them on before a dive. they are probably good for some people, but i prefer a minimalist approach - at least when donning/doffing the gear. also i wasn't sure about the right size. i still have the multipack if someone wants to buy it off me (say at 2/3 of regular price + i pay US shipping, never used, only tried on once on land).

flash diffuser for my sealife camera strobe - i prefer to partially cover it with my hand instead - quicker, easier, more adjustment possibility and better results.*

Zenagirl
12-06-2007, 07:41
Definitely a snorkel.....it's not "dive gear" it's "snorkeling gear"...useless under water!

Netsloth
12-06-2007, 07:55
Spare Air.

paintsnow
12-06-2007, 09:00
yeah, i must agree with the noise makers and spare air as well.

How bout those yoke screw lights that never seem to work?

paintsnow
12-06-2007, 09:03
ohh and i just saw these

Spare Air Xtreme Sport, Octos, Submersible Systems, Spare Air Xtreme Sport (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Spare_Air_Xtreme_Sport)

finally spare air made something somewhat useful, but recommending a 1.7 cf bottle for scuba (dual sport version) is ridiculous.

otherwise, if your right on the surface and flip over in a kayak that would be great, but only at the surface.

Matt P
12-06-2007, 11:20
not sure if this counts as "gear." but I'd have to say the "crew pack" I had to buy for my AOW class.

$60, I'd like to introduce you to the toilet.
Toilet, meet $60.
FLUSH!

tarheeldiver
12-06-2007, 14:17
Spare Air.
Can't believe it took this long for this to show up

tarheeldiver
12-06-2007, 14:19
Definitely a snorkel.....it's not "dive gear" it's "snorkeling gear"...useless under water!
I agree I hate to wear a snorkel guess I'm going to have to find mine since hopefully I'll be seeing whale sharks in May down in Utila

dannybot
12-06-2007, 20:01

I agree, while I use mune on every trip, I only use it to snorkel, otherwise, it stays in the room.

BobArnold8265
12-06-2007, 21:00
I got a laser pointer as a gift. It really doesn't work well underwater. You can't see it on a bright day unless you're pretty deep.

UCFKnightDiver
12-06-2007, 21:02
now since i have a weight integrated bcd i guess a weight belt suppose i could use it for snorkeling tho a snorkel for diving is pretty dumb and useless too

RoadRacer1978
12-06-2007, 21:06
I don't see a lot of these suggestions as useless. Maybe that particular piece of gear is not necessary for you anymore, but it is not useless. It still has a purpose for many divers and may again for you someday when your needs change. To me that is not a useless piece of gear.

wheelman
12-06-2007, 21:15
I agree with RoadRacer. One man gathers what another man spills... I have picked up some good deals from people who no longer wanted a worthless piece of gear.

Now to answer the question... short boots!

RonFrank
12-06-2007, 21:56
I don't see a lot of these suggestions as useless. Maybe that particular piece of gear is not necessary for you anymore, but it is not useless. It still has a purpose for many divers and may again for you someday when your needs change. To me that is not a useless piece of gear.

I completely disagree with Roadracer. The question was what folks find useless. The *suggestions* are the answer for each individual. You can disagree, but whatever, these items listed are what those posting find useless.

Daved
12-06-2007, 22:21
Spare Air, --the greatest false sense of security.

RoadRacer1978
12-07-2007, 00:19

I completely disagree with Roadracer. The question was what folks find useless. The *suggestions* are the answer for each individual. You can disagree, but whatever, these items listed are what those posting find useless.

I don't disagree that the folks making these suggestions find these items unnecessary for them. I just have a problem with the word useless. Almost every item listed has a purpose and if an item serves a purpose it is not "useless", ie it has a "use". Guess that is just my problem. It's a matter of symantics for me. I just don't feel comfortable calling anything that has a use useless.

Also the OP asked the question to help others save money. Calling a snorkel or other peice of item useless and persuading a new diver to not buy or stop using a peice of gear they may need is just not a good idea in my mind either. So to me, an item that is useless would be the gimmicky item that really does not serve a purpose while diving. Not something that is a valid peice of dive gear just because you personally do not like it or use it.

Venio
12-07-2007, 01:36
I can't believe no one said RETRACTORS, yet. They top my list for sure.

RonFrank
12-07-2007, 09:46
I don't disagree that the folks making these suggestions find these items unnecessary for them. I just have a problem with the word useless.

I should apologize as my post came across a bit rude. :smiley13:

Don't worry, PADI/NAUI/SSI etc. will make sure that a new diver owns a snorkel! :smiley2:

Snorkels do have a use for diving, and that is when one is having to wait for a boat in big seas. I generally do carry one if the sea's are more than 4', and doing a drift dive.

MSilvia
12-07-2007, 09:54
Almost every item listed has a purpose and if an item serves a purpose it is not "useless", ie it has a "use". Guess that is just my problem. It's a matter of symantics for me. I just don't feel comfortable calling anything that has a use useless.
For me, an item that doesn't do the job it's supposed to do, or which does it poorly with undesirable and unintended side-effects is useless. I suppose you could argue that I could put my old "scumball" octo keeper to good use propping up a wobbly table leg or something, but it sure as heck doesn't keep an octo in place very well.

RoadRacer1978
12-07-2007, 09:55
No need to appologize. I decided to further explain my view as maybe it didn't come off across well either. I understand where everyone is coming from, but wanted to give a different way to look at this issue.

Thanks for the appology though. I accept. :)

You are correct about the snorkel. I just used that example to make a point from some of the threads, but since it is a required piece of equipment to get the cert, you can't really get around having to buy one.

RoadRacer1978
12-07-2007, 10:01
Almost every item listed has a purpose and if an item serves a purpose it is not "useless", ie it has a "use". Guess that is just my problem. It's a matter of symantics for me. I just don't feel comfortable calling anything that has a use useless.
For me, an item that doesn't do the job it's supposed to do, or which does it poorly with undesirable and unintended side-effects is useless. I suppose you could argue that I could put my old "scumball" octo keeper to good use propping up a wobbly table leg or something, but it sure as heck doesn't keep an octo in place very well.

You could indeed use it to prop up a table, but I'll keep my arguments strictly to diving. If the item doesn't do the job it was designed for or does it poorly. Then call it like you see it. There are some threads on here calling a particular piece of gear useless though just because that person decided not to use it. Such as snorkels and weightbelts. Just because you bought a weight integrated BCD doesn't make weightbelts a useless peice of dive gear. Maybe unnecessary for you, but by no means useless.

Maybe my point isn't coming across well. I'm not sure how else to explain it at this point. So any further typing would just be "useless". :smilie39:

MSilvia
12-07-2007, 10:17
Just because you bought a weight integrated BCD doesn't make weightbelts a useless peice of dive gear. Maybe unnecessary for you, but by no means useless.
Fair enough. There are a lot of pieces of gear I don't use anymore because I've found ways and things I prefer to them, but I sometimes dig that stuff out for a dive with a gear-needy friend. I reserve "useless" for things I feel like I'd sooner throw away than burden some poor newbie with.

emcbride81
12-07-2007, 10:22
Tanks...got no use for them whatsoever...almost as useless as a regulator. :)

WV Diver
12-07-2007, 10:42
Slap straps, completely useless trash for me. I know a lot of folks like them but they are way up there on my list. They're only good for advertising SCUBA TOYS.

RoadRacer1978
12-07-2007, 10:46
Fair enough. There are a lot of pieces of gear I don't use anymore because I've found ways and things I prefer to them, but I sometimes dig that stuff out for a dive with a gear-needy friend. I reserve "useless" for things I feel like I'd sooner throw away than burden some poor newbie with.

Exactly. You summed up what I was trying to say so much better than I did with so few words.

divingchef
12-07-2007, 19:17
I got one of those logo-ed cup holders with a clip so you could clip right into the D-ring on your BC, Its got one of those retractor thingies and made of the finest heavy duty materials available.....available in assorted colors, one even glows in the dark for night dives....

the guy in the scuba shop told me I could enjoy my favorite beverage while diving..."why stop the refreshment just because you get into the water" he said...... boy am I gullable....

P.S. just kidding....

Navy OnStar
12-08-2007, 00:18
I'd say purge masks. My wife loved the idea when we were getting our cert but from the moment we got in the pool she had water sitting in her nose from the purge and no matter how many times she cleared it, the water would be back within seconds. SO, i ended up wearing it and she used my non-purge mask. I had the same problem ut was a littl emore comfortable doing the class with the purge mask. We tried Tusa, Scubapro, and one other purge mask with the same result every time, me wearing her mask because she couldn't concentrate with the water there. We finally gave up and she got a non-purge.

OnStar

divinginn
12-08-2007, 22:28
never had any problems with purge masks out of about 5 that i have owned. The only thing i have bought and rarely used was a lycra suit to wear under the wetsuit,it really didnt help sliding on my 7 mill.

gnwes
12-12-2007, 07:22
probably my snorkel

LRDWILDER
12-13-2007, 07:38
My wife.......and the most expensive!

SkuaSeptember
12-13-2007, 08:12
#1 The colored platic hose wrap for my octo that came in the save a dive kit I bought as a newbie.
#2 Tank mesh
#3 Side pockets on WI BCDs
#4 The ever popular SOB

Mtrewyn
12-13-2007, 10:35

Thats cold man, Funny but cold :smiley36::smiley5:

Buoyant1
12-13-2007, 11:00
Tanks...got no use for them whatsoever...almost as useless as a regulator. :)

Well uh..yeah...now that Marine Boy's "Oxo-gum" is a reality!:smiley2:

kancho
12-13-2007, 14:15
My Dive Buddy, but didn't cost me anything, Once the guy left me when I was tangled up in the Kelp Forest. But he did come back after a few minutes.

Duckydiver
12-14-2007, 20:25
First to mind is spare air...

Oh.. to the nitrox tables, TDI makes good one workes on every up to 40

azdiver
12-17-2007, 17:30
my snorkel and one of those tank bangers that consist of a rubber band with a bead that fits around the tank!! now i have a small steel rod than clips to my bc with a rope long enough to reach my tank.... when i find something to show the group, they really can hear it! :-)

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 07:21
After thinking about this one I decided that I haven't bought anything useless yet. I am sure my time is coming. Perhaps it was the water resistent popcorn. :smilie40:

SarahBella
12-18-2007, 07:47
For right now I have not bought anything that is truly useless...I always ask myself "Do I need it...Will I use it?" and that seems to help. Not to mention I use the boards for research at every opportunity. Lucky so far.

kancho
12-18-2007, 09:38
Pencil and slate , I haven't used. It is always attached but not used at all.

cutter77
01-08-2008, 23:01
Dive Optix...kept floating around, difficult to defog mask, eventually lost both of them in the water. Now saving for a prescription mask (or Lasix???!)

scubajane
01-18-2008, 18:22
Anything I leave on the shore is TOTALLY useless.
When I dive in the ocean I have my snorkel. not because I like it but for emergency use. I hope I never have an emergency . but I would rather carry the dumb snorkel on a million dives and not need it than not carry it and need it as I drift out to sea with no air in my tank. I can't hold my head above water forever.

booger
01-18-2008, 18:53
Definitely a retractor. Cost $30, pulled my gear off it 1/2 way through the first dive because it kept on hitting me in the leg as it was trailing after me. Also, not a good idea to have one when diving in kelp... it will catch every strand.

DZorn00
01-20-2008, 12:30

Can we get an AMEN!!!!!!!! Thats all there is to it!:smiley32:

coyote
01-20-2008, 13:08
A dive buddy. The last instant one would have been better left in the car.

Second after that is my dive buddies girl friend, follwed closely by the giant dive knife and fingerspool.

Li'l Castaway
01-20-2008, 13:39
My slate with a pencil!!! Pencil always breaking and can't really see it anyway.

I finally got the magnadoodle type - easy to see, wipe off and re-write!! Love it!

azdiver
01-20-2008, 16:55
[quote=LRDWILDER;106300]My wife.......and the most expensive!

Let's hope that either your wife never reads this thread or she has one hell of a sense of humor :smilie39:

marchand
01-20-2008, 19:06
I think it would have to be integrated weight pockets for my PB/W setup.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
01-21-2008, 09:30
From recent experience I can say with certainty that the most useless piece of equipment is the one you accidentally leave at home.

azdiver
01-21-2008, 09:41
From recent experience I can say with certainty that the most useless piece of equipment is the one you accidentally leave at home.

Ain't that the truth!! :-(

BSea
01-21-2008, 10:50
From recent experience I can say with certainty that the most useless piece of equipment is the one you accidentally leave at home.I always thought it was the most important. :)

azdiver
01-21-2008, 11:07
From recent experience I can say with certainty that the most useless piece of equipment is the one you accidentally leave at home.I always thought it was the most important. :)

It's both.... important becuase you need it and useless because you don't have it! :smilie39:

St.jimmy
02-07-2008, 21:56
the gate clip:)

mb104
02-07-2008, 22:03
My spear gun. I have a pole spear that I use all the time. The spear gun just sits there and collects dust. The pole spear is so much better for the type of underwater hunting I do (I know this will cause spear gun fans to be upset, but there is a separate forum for this type of gear discussion).

Spear gun...Final Answer.

johnyringo
02-07-2008, 22:22
My slate with a pencil!!! Pencil always breaking and can't really see it anyway.

I finally got the magnadoodle type - easy to see, wipe off and re-write!! Love it!
And right there is a use for the useless dive knife...sharpen the pencil...See, there are two useless items that now have a use!

RoyN
02-08-2008, 01:58
The snorkel. Mine got stolen by a harbor seal.

Taigin
02-08-2008, 17:12
Why is Spare Air useless? I have not heard anyone say this before, and just wondering. If you do screw up and need those few breaths before you can get to an alternate air source, then would it not be worth it?

SkuaSeptember
02-08-2008, 19:42
Why is Spare Air useless? I have not heard anyone say this before, and just wondering. If you do screw up and need those few breaths before you can get to an alternate air source, then would it not be worth it?
It's kind of like buying a really expensive step stool to paint your house. Most of what it will help you get to you could get to with a long stretch. As for the rest, it ain't gonna get you there. Better to spend a few more $$ and buy the tool that will do the whole job. In this case, a properly sized pony that will get you safely and comfortably from depth to the surface with ample supply for your safety stop.

DiveSooner
02-08-2008, 20:21
The snorkel. Mine got stolen by a harbor seal.

dang Gang Bangers!!! hope you got a tag number.:smiley29:

FishFood
02-08-2008, 20:31
I find it entertaining that people who say Spare Air is unsafe also say they don't use a snorkel. Not singling anyone out. The whole forum seems to feel this way. hehe :D

SkuaSeptember
02-08-2008, 20:45
I find it entertaining that people who say Spare Air is unsafe also say they don't use a snorkel. Not singling anyone out. The whole forum seems to feel this way. hehe :D
Given the timing, I feel singled. :smiley19:
I never suggested that it was unsafe, just not neccesarily the best solution.
BTW, I'm proudly wearing my snorkle in the picture.

FishFood
02-08-2008, 20:48

Haha. I apologize :smiley20:

I was mainly referring to people not using snorkels. I quite liked your analogy.

KGNickl
02-08-2008, 20:53
eRDP. I still have to read up on how to use it, but as of now tables come and eRDP collects dust.

SkuaSeptember
02-08-2008, 20:54

Haha. I apologize :smiley20:

I was mainly referring to people not using snorkels. I quite liked your analogy.
Ok, I feel better now.:smiley20:

newways
02-09-2008, 00:29
Ankle Weights. I was told when I first started, "Ankle weights are AWESOME, you gotta get some." I stupidly bought some without thinking that you do not scuba dive in an upright position. tried them once, and now I use them in the gym...Useless for scuba though.

Mtrewyn
02-09-2008, 00:30
I dive mostly in my local lakes from shore, so I would have to say my Snorkel. (Don't get many days of 5' swells and breakers in SW MO)

In the ocean that is another story!

Lone Frogman
02-09-2008, 03:06
Number one useless item is oct/inflator. Followed close by a pony tank smaller than 19CF.

LunarFear
02-27-2008, 13:01
I would have to say that them most useless, and it really is useless, piece of gear I have is a snorkel that was given to me as a gift. It is a 65' soft tube that is about 1/8" for the inner diameter with a floater on one end and a mouthpiece on the other. The person that gave it to me said that the salesmen said it was the "coolest thing in diving today, no tank diving!".

Scoobidoo
02-27-2008, 14:46
A kids size mouthpiece...which neither fit my snorkel or regulator. That was a stupid buy.

terrillja
02-27-2008, 15:13
eRDP. I still have to read up on how to use it, but as of now tables come and eRDP collects dust.
I might buy it off you. Considering DM at some point and you are required to have one.

FyVe
02-27-2008, 21:45
A dive flag ... I have yet to use it.

had one forlike 6 months now... still dry

FyVe
02-27-2008, 22:06

And right there is a use for the useless dive knife...sharpen the pencil...See, there are two useless items that now have a use!

but only if you have both, in the specific condition mentioned... broken pencil, sharp knife. the day you have both, you will not break the pencil.

imasinker
04-28-2008, 19:29
I will say my dive slate with the divers communications on the back.... so I am supposed to get the attention of my dive buddy, get him to come close enough to me...hold up my dive slate....point to the small little words no larger than the ones your reading now...and point out the pre stamped words...""LOOK OUT SHARK"" and oh ya the damn pencil keeps breakin...

matt151617
04-30-2008, 00:59
Snorkel. Totally pointless if you don't dive in the ocean. Even then...

Fortunately I listened to people on here and bought the cheapest one possible, $8. Then at the first class, my instructor praised me for spending the money on such a fine snorkel that had all the best features. They sold the same one for $25.

fire diver
04-30-2008, 07:46
retractors and consoles.