PDA

View Full Version : what determines a regs nitrox compatibility?

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 13:26
what makes a reg nitrox compatible or not?
<DIV>i see some of mares 2nd stages that have a green(instead of standard) logo on them... what changes on regs that are nitrox ready?</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-23-2007, 13:31
The green...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Really, you can run nitrox up to 40% O2 on any reg. The whole "Nitrox Reg" thing was pretty much a scam to get people to buy 2 regs, but now the world realizes that, and you do not need a dedicated reg unless you are doing very high O2 levels, like deco bottles. Then the difference is we want to make sure there are no rubber 0-rings - everything viton, no petroleum based grease, all things like christo-lube etc to reduce the chance of fire with the high O2 levels.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>But for recreational nitrox - the big difference is the front cover plate of the reg so people can look cool.</DIV>

mwhities
07-23-2007, 14:29
Larry,

Don't forget the big NITROX stickers on the tank either! That bumps up the "cool" factor.

I'll post pictures of mine tonight.

Michael

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 15:19
so when i do my nitrox course later this year i wont have to get rid of my v16 reg? just take it in and have all the orings swaped out?
<DIV>thank god, cause i really like that thing.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>thanks for the help guys.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 15:22
edit

cummings66
07-23-2007, 22:29
You won't need to do that even because a Nitrox course only certifies you to go to 40% which most regulators are capable of. The only reg I know of that's limited to 21% is the Poseidon Deep. It says it is at any rate, I don't know if it is it's design or not. It's really meant for gasses other than normal air from what I can tell, ala trimix.

comet24
07-26-2007, 08:44
As long as your diving rec. mixes under 40% O2 your fine with whatever reg you have. No need to do anything.

cummings66
07-26-2007, 08:48
Are you sure about the Poseidon Deep? I suppose the company could just be saying that about it, but it is meant for Tri Mix.

Dive-aholic
07-26-2007, 12:08
what makes a reg nitrox compatible or not?
_popupControl();

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The manufacturers' lawyers... http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Seriously, Larry's response is right on (of course). All regs are nitrox compatible to 40% out of the box. There's nothing special about it. If you plan on using your regs with oxygen mixes higher than 40%, then the main thing that needs to be different is the lubricant being used in the 1st stage. Typically, manufacturers and service techs use plain old silicone lube, which contains hydrocarbons that can go boom when mixed with high pressure oxygen and heat (usually not a factor in breathing a tank down). The standard lubricant used in oxygen compatible regs is Christolube. There are also different o-ring materials available - some claimed to be not oxygen compatible. As for trimix, you not likely to have high oxygen concentrations in trimix. Actually you may have less than 21%. And helium won't go boom like oxygen, so reg compatibility isn't a factor. You just need a reg that will work well at those deeper depths.</DIV>

cummings66
07-26-2007, 15:01
<DIV></DIV>That's what I'm getting at, is a regulator optimised for tri mix likely to have issues with high O2 mixes compared to the low O2 mixes in tri mix?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's why I'm wondering if this regulator is different than most others. Otherwise as I said and agree, use any regulator you want with Nitrox without worry.</DIV>

Dive-aholic
07-31-2007, 02:29
There's no optimization for regulators as far as gas is concerned. You can tune down the IP for cold water, but when it comes to gas, there's no real difference.

Puffer Fish
07-31-2007, 18:11
so when i do my nitrox course later this year i wont have to get rid of my v16 reg? just take it in and have all the orings swaped out?
<DIV>thank god, cause i really like that thing.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>thanks for the help guys.</DIV>
Sadly, your regulator will not work, so you can send it to me.. Larry will get you a nice pretty new one..

Puffer Fish
07-31-2007, 18:13
<DIV></DIV>That's what I'm getting at, is a regulator optimised for tri mix likely to have issues with high O2 mixes compared to the low O2 mixes in tri mix?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>That's why I'm wondering if this regulator is different than most others. Otherwise as I said and agree, use any regulator you want with Nitrox without worry.</DIV>
No... it is as Larry stated. Just what the o-rings and what sort of lube was used.. If someone makes one with the wrong stuff, I'm sure they would say so... the "do not use with.....".

badfrog88
08-03-2007, 14:25
Hi all,

New to this forum...

I just want to make sure I'm understanding everyone correctly. I have mid-eighties era Oceanic Omega II regulators. Are they still OK with recreational Nitrox without any special service? I understand that newer regs would be OK, I'm just not sure about older regulators.

WaterRat
08-03-2007, 15:02
As long as your mix is under 40% you'll be fine.

Ron

Dive-aholic
08-04-2007, 01:44
I'll reaffirm what Ron said. Any reg, no matter what age, can be used with recreational mixes of nitrox.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 09:43
As long as your diving rec. mixes under 40% O2 your fine with whatever reg you have. No need to do anything.

what about the orings and any lube that was used on it??

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 10:25

what about the orings and any lube that was used on it??

No problems.. no worries.. don't care what is in it for lube, o-rings, etc. 32% nitrox is so close to air... Dan did a report where they never found one problem ever from recreational nitrox mixes in any reg - ever.

So when people ask, what do I have to do to convert my reg to nitrox... I tell them... Uh... Put it on a nitrox tank?

Of course as one poster pointed out... I'm an intelligent donkey. :smiley2:

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 13:06
Thanks Larry... i think i just saw a new reg buyer spend too much money because he wanted nitrox ready... he spent like 695.00 on a ST1 (is it st1? the new atomic? all SS 1st)
either way... i wasn't gonna tell him anything... but i did talk to him, i asked him why he bought such a reg if he's not certified until he finishes his class? (hes doing his OW this week... finishes sunday)

CompuDude
08-07-2007, 13:17
You can certainly pay extra to get an o2 clean reg for use with deco bottles and such, but you'll need to take extra steps to keep it o2 clean, essentially use it the same as an o2 clean tank: no plain air (non-hyperfiltered, 02 compatible) can touch it, and it can only be put on o2 clean tanks.

I feel bad for people who live in areas where the only Nitrox blending available is via PP blending. Ugh. To have to maintain a separate set of o2 clean everything must be horrid.

Black-Gorrilla
08-07-2007, 13:25
well, i dont plan on needing anything o2 clean for a while (most i plan anytime soon is nitrox, for rec. use... so 36%)
and that guy that bought that reg. was for sure not gonna be doing anything that will be o2 clean, or even nitrox for that matter.

ScubaToys Larry
08-07-2007, 13:51
I feel bad for people who live in areas where the only Nitrox blending available is via PP blending. Ugh. To have to maintain a separate set of o2 clean everything must be horrid.

You don't need a O2 clean everything if PPB... Just a clean tank.

CompuDude
08-07-2007, 14:16
You don't need a O2 clean everything if PPB... Just a clean tank.
True, unless you're using those regs for deco, etc. also.

MEL-DC Diver
08-07-2007, 14:54
And, strictly speaking, for recreational nitrox if you are not doing PPB and are only using banked mix you don't even need an O2 clean tank. Of course, no one will knowingly let you do that, but there you go.

CLaFong
03-03-2008, 15:00
so.....

whats PP blending?
just curious

CompuDude
03-03-2008, 15:06
so.....

whats PP blending?
just curious

Partial Pressure blending.

Put a given amount 100% o2 in a tank, add air on top to make the perfect Nitrox mix.

CLaFong
03-03-2008, 15:24
and I guess banked is completedly mixed and more accurate?

but for both I dont need viton orings etc for rec diving. Havent done the nitrox class yet, and wasnt going to if I had to get another set of regs

CompuDude
03-03-2008, 15:50
and I guess banked is completedly mixed and more accurate?

but for both I dont need viton orings etc for rec diving. Havent done the nitrox class yet, and wasnt going to if I had to get another set of regs

Both are equally accurate, when done right. It's not overly-complex math, and when you start from an empty tank, it's not difficult to put x psi of o2 in a tank. Top it off with air (20.9%) and you can nail the mix. All is then verified with a gas analyzer.

If banked, you don't need an o2 clean tank, because pure o2 never touches the tank, only the resultant mix which is 40% or less.

You only need viton o-rings and o2 cleaned tanks for pure o2 (or higher than 40%) applications. Ditto for regs... o2 clean only needed when you are attaching them to great than 40% tanks (usually 50% or 100% for deco).

You'll learn all this in Nitrox class. Unless you are going on to Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures classes (tech diving), you won't ever need o2 clean regs.

CLaFong
03-03-2008, 16:09
now I get it ...
thanks CompuDude

There sure is a ton of misinformation out there. Even from local Dive shops

People were telling me that you had to do the Viton and special lube thing. Claiming that the silicon orings or grease would combine with the high O2 and blow up. My chemistry is lousing but didnt think silocone reacts with oxygen that much. But with the added explanation of heat induced and petroleum products in silicone grease etc, that make sense...more flamable