PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still have/use a Genesis Resource?

Crystalight33
12-05-2007, 13:18
Well, I have just become the proud new owner of a used Atomic Z1. Along with the Z1 came a sherwood octo, and a Genesis Resource nitrox computer. Much to my relief, the previous owner still had the manual, so I understand how to operate it.

So, does anyone out there still use one? The biggest drawback I can see right now is that it isn't water activated, so I'll just have to make sure I turn it on before I get in. Also, there are no audible alarms, but I check my gagues a lot, so that should be a "moot" point (pun intended :smiley2:). This is my first computer, so I'm thinking I'll use it for a while and replace it when/if it wears out or if I can't stand it any longer.

jo8243
12-11-2007, 10:35
I use a resource as a back-up computer. I don't think any resource is nitrox-capable (mine isn't). I believe the React is.

Water activation is a user-configurable setting. You can set it either way.

Go to Genesis' website and download the manual.

DennisW
12-11-2007, 13:00
I've been using a Genesis Resourse Nitrox CPU for quite a while. It's simple, it's easy, I like it.

MSilvia
12-11-2007, 13:12
I had the air-only version right up until it flooded at the end of the summer. It's a good computer.

mike_s
12-11-2007, 23:23
Well, I have just become the proud new owner of a used Atomic Z1. Along with the Z1 came a sherwood octo, and a Genesis Resource nitrox computer. Much to my relief, the previous owner still had the manual, so I understand how to operate it.

So, does anyone out there still use one? The biggest drawback I can see right now is that it isn't water activated, so I'll just have to make sure I turn it on before I get in. Also, there are no audible alarms, but I check my gagues a lot, so that should be a "moot" point (pun intended :smiley2:). This is my first computer, so I'm thinking I'll use it for a while and replace it when/if it wears out or if I can't stand it any longer.

I've got a Sherwood Logic (Nitrox) that is the same as the Genesis line but just with Sherwood's name on it.

It's a good computer. What I like about it is that during the dive, it has everything you need displayed on one screen and doesn't require any button hitting during the dive, unless you want the water temp.

The fact it's not water activated doesn't bother me. All you have to do to activate it is to press the button once and it stays on for a minimum of 2 hours. Longer, up to 24 hours, if you dive with it.

What I find frustrating with it is the single button scroll for the log review and the fact that it won't keep the nitrox level set at a certain level. It's just a hassle if you forget to reset your F02 level. I also don't like the fact that the log review is not time/date stamped. So it's hard to keep track of what dive is what. You also have to scroll through the entire log if you enter log mode. just a frustration with a single button computer.

However, if you replace it, it still does great as a backup computer. (this solves the log review scroll issue, but not the other one button irratations.) So no reason to get rid of it. A backup computer is almost a requirement for any amount of repetitive diving done back to back. A failure would mean you would have to calculate your weeks diving on paper, which would most likely cause you to sit out lots more time.

Crystalight33
12-13-2007, 17:59
Thank you for all the great responses. Genesis is not mentioned as much as brands like Suunto, Aries/Oceanic, etc, so I didn't know if that was because it is a smaller company or if it was a bad computer. I'm glad to hear that everyone seems pleased with theirs. Again, thank you for your helpful posts!