PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Heard of PST

SarahBella
12-06-2007, 09:42
I found this and then checked the list of retailers...Guess who is on it. ST! I have not found any tanks listed yet.

http://www.pstscuba.com/cgi-bin/nlcurrent.cgi

Anyone used the PST tanks? I would love a steel tank so I could drop some lead.

in_cavediver
12-06-2007, 11:01
PST (Pressed Steel Tank Co) had been around a while. They were the first for the hot dip galvanized process and they introduced the 'E' series of 3442psi tanks.

A year or two ago, they went bankurupt and a offshore firm (korean or chinese, can't remember) bought them and sought to resume production etc. Its looks like they finally started.

Personally, I have a pair of the PST LP104's from 2001 and they are great tanks.

ScubaToys Larry
12-06-2007, 11:19
Yea, we used to carry their tanks... but they ran out of money and could not get their DOT exemption renewed... Nearly ended up that anyone who had one of their tanks could not get it vis or hydro'd... So we backed off a bit...

We started carrying the Worthington HP Steel 120 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-120, Scuba Tanks, Worthington, HP Steel 120 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-120 (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=X7120)

But we can still get the PST and may even have some kicking around... but really - a steel tank is a steel tank... So now we just stock the Worthingtons.

Worthington Scuba Equipment and Dive Gear (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/scubavendors.asp?txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=100)

Mycroft
12-06-2007, 12:58
I have 2 - 130 cft HP PST tanks and love them. They switch from Yoke to DIN in minutes, which is good too.

CompuDude
12-06-2007, 13:39
Yea, we used to carry their tanks... but they ran out of money and could not get their DOT exemption renewed... Nearly ended up that anyone who had one of their tanks could not get it vis or hydro'd... So we backed off a bit...

We started carrying the Worthington HP Steel 120 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-120, Scuba Tanks, Worthington, HP Steel 120 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-120 (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=X7120)

But we can still get the PST and may even have some kicking around... but really - a steel tank is a steel tank... So now we just stock the Worthingtons.

Worthington Scuba Equipment and Dive Gear (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/scubavendors.asp?txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=100)

From what I understand, they're getting ready to ship out the last few tanks that they made but had not shipped yet... they finally got the exemption issues cleared up and hydro'd the old "new" tanks. New tank production has not yet resumed.

PST used to make the best tanks around, IMO. They were the only ones doing hot-dipped galvanized finish tanks. Fortunately Worthington stepped in at the same time PST went out. I thought PST actually had a better finish, however.

The current batch of "new" tanks is limited, but they should be very good, having been made by the original company. No one actually knows how good (or not) the newly-manufactured tanks are going to be, however, once they start production. At this point, I'd stick with Worthington and Faber, since they have an actual track record compared to the new company that bought PST's name.

cummings66
12-06-2007, 14:35
If I was buying a new steel tank today it'd be a Worthington tank, they look pretty nice and have what I want in a tank. I don't think I could trust the new PST.

ScubaJW
12-06-2007, 23:35
I like PST HP100 tanks, because of their specs based on buoyant compare to other tanks. Guess I am picky :)

texdiveguy
12-06-2007, 23:59
I own a PST HP130 and really love it! New factory is in Korea of all places......a lot of talk going around about their current industry stance and future. http://www.pstscuba.com/cgi-bin/nlcurrent.cgi

I don't agree that all steel tanks are the same, just not true unless you are a retailer wishing to sell some.

My second choice is the Worthington line....they also seem to be doing a good job with the vendors.....both PST and Worthington are sure bets in terms of performance. Just have no confidence in the ownership of PST and their promises for future production and fufillment to us the consumer.

Shellback
12-18-2007, 22:49
Since I am in the market for steel tanks right now I have been looking around and talking to guys I dive with. One of them has a PST and really likes it, HP tank. I figure a steel tank that is galvanized can not differ too much from another brand other than buoyancy characteristics anyway. But anyway I cam across an ad for a PST 80CF and when I saw the price of $350, I thought that they did not really want to get back in the tank competition game which I believe is currently dominated by Worthington.

Although I do not have first hand experiences with PST, I have heard that they had a real problem when it came to delivering products on time prior to them reorganizing their business. Personally I would like to see 2 or 3 manufacturers get in the business and drive a little price competition in the tank market.

cummings66
12-19-2007, 16:43
You can find a HUGE difference in buoyancy characteristics between brands of steel tanks, granted some of them might be older tanks now but there is or can be a difference.

With my HP100's I'm a bit light, with my HP120's I'm perfect. The 100's are PST and the 120's are Norris.

Shellback
12-19-2007, 22:29
You can find a HUGE difference in buoyancy characteristics between brands of steel tanks, granted some of them might be older tanks now but there is or can be a difference.

With my HP100's I'm a bit light, with my HP120's I'm perfect. The 100's are PST and the 120's are Norris.
I was looking at a spec sheet today and I came across a tank, think it was a LP 120 (don't remember the manf.) but this thing from what I remember weighed in at 50 something #s ! Now that is a little more than I had in mind. I am thinking HP 119 just since it is a good compromise between the length and capacity. Although I do like the idea of the HP 130 just since if I can not get the HP fill then I will still have at least 115 or so.

marchand
01-05-2008, 16:24
I have a set of PST LP120's and they are a beast.