PDA

View Full Version : Can we get a DM/Divecon candidate forum going?

DivingCRNA
12-06-2007, 13:39
Huh, Larry? Please?

I am starting DM and thought a forum for candidates would be cool!

PlatypusMan
12-06-2007, 20:15
Huh, Larry? Please?

I am starting DM and thought a forum for candidates would be cool!

I agree--provided there are enough folks willing to post there.

2008 will be my make-or-break year for my DM training.

cummings66
12-07-2007, 10:28
I think this forum would be nice, especially if it's open to the public and not closed as it is elsewhere.

I'd thought of doing the DM after my LDS asked me to, but to be honest I enjoy diving too much to turn it into a job.

mitsuguy
12-07-2007, 10:39
kinda already have one:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/advanced-instructor/

fyrediver
12-07-2007, 10:42
I also think it would be a cool forum. I know from asking, that they keep the timed swim criteria close to the vest. I also know from doing research, that even though PADI has a set objective list, SOME places I've looked into just for giggles post on line that their swim test is much easier than others? Unless you had an angle, it would take you years to re-coup your investment as Instructors don't get paid jack. We buy ours lunches and beers after classes down here 'cause they're always broke and we appreciate the good lessons, so we share the love. Some people just get addicted to collecting PADI cards, and PADI is glad for the revenue, I'm sure of that!!!:smiley2: so, there is some stuff right off the top of my head that could be thrown around the new forum. Lets do this:smiley20:

cummings66
12-07-2007, 14:05
You keep mentioning down here, where exactly is here that your instructors don't get paid? They do in my area, admittedly they don't make enough money to live off of but then they don't do it for the money either.

Most of them work somewhere for real and on weekends have the dive gig to have fun teaching others how to dive. Not that instructing isn't work, it's just it's not usually enough to pay the bills.

fyrediver
12-08-2007, 06:22
To cummings; I'm from OHIO, but have been deployed to Curacao since September. All of my diving, and instruction taken has been here. I've not had a bad one yet, (,etc.ow, aow, rescue, 'trox, deep, wreck.) the dive industry is huge here, and unless you OWN the shop, or are getting one, or marry a richlocal female (one did) they don't seem to be making as much as, say, well, alot of things. We've had several different ones, and we treat them real well like my other post. I think it would be rewarding and challenging to earn DM, and we think about attempting to get our employer to pay for it. Teaching has its rewards, but its not going to get you a rolls, but money isn't everything:smiley2: