PDA

View Full Version : wetsuit fitment

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 14:32
how do i know what size will fit me??
<DIV>im looking for one soon (been doing like 40' dives in FLA summer since last year... never used one... but now my brother took up diving too, so i can dive more often and trough the harsh FLA winters :) )</DIV>
<DIV>so im looking at a 3mil...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>how good are those sizing charts that every company has??</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

wxboy911
07-23-2007, 19:12
So far I have found that the size charts are close-each company has their own version of each size. Your best bet is to go to a local dive shop and try it on. That is the only way to be 100% sure it will fit perfectly. Try a bunch of different ones, remember which ones you liked, and spend some time on the web doing some reasearch...Price, if anyone has used the same suit and what they thought. Good Luck.

tc_rain
07-23-2007, 20:41
Look into Bare. I have two of their suits; 3mm and 7mm. Their size charts are right on the money. It is a good quality suit for a great price. ST carrysthem too so you canuse your$10 cert.

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 21:28
i was actually looking at the same one they are giving away this month... looks great, i've heard good things about it, and i want it.
i was just wondering on sizing... i might pick it up really soon.

thank you both.

tc_rain
07-23-2007, 21:51
I have the 3mm velocity and the 7mm arctic. Don't know if they still make that specific model but they are close to 2 years old and they still look like new. The fit is great which allows very minimal water transfer.

picxie
07-24-2007, 05:23
Personally, I would estimate down if you are in between sizes (according to the chart). I've just bought a pinnacle torso heater and was in between sizes and got the bigger one ... had to return it for the smaller one as it was a bit too big. I would ignore the weights it suggests too - as if you go off the weight on the Pinnacle charts, I should have been returning it for the next size up, not down!

thor
07-30-2007, 14:39
I have a Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm and a Bare 7mm. The Hyperstretch is great. I had to go down a size to get a good fit, and it fits perfectly. The Bare runs small, especially in shoulders and torso.

namabiru
08-07-2007, 16:15
Going down in size a bit is solid advice. When looking at size charts, I chose a wetsuit that was just below my waist size but close on the chest/legs, and it's worked well.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 00:05
Everything falls in line for me when looking at wetsuits, except for weight. Where do they find these people that have the same proportions as me and weight 40lbs less???

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 08:02
All good points. Once you have found what you think may fit you than you should remember that too tight is not good and too loose isn't good either. As a general rule of thumb, if you can get two fingers under the sleeve at the wrist and around the neck and ankles without an undue amount of stress to the suit or without the suit being really loose, you've found your fit.

Too tight cuts off proper blood circulation, too loose causes too much water circulation, both equal too cold.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 14:54
I was advised for warm water diving it was better to go a little on the Loose side. Did I recieve some bad advice?

cummings66
08-09-2007, 18:13
For warm water diving it really doesn't matter much. For cold water diving you want the thing to fit right as posted above. To be frank, there's no reason to ever buy a wetsuit of any type that doesn't fit.

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 18:30
I was advised for warm water diving it was better to go a little on the Loose side. Did I recieve some bad advice? Well it would depend on your exposure time and how well you deal with cold. Some tolerate it much better than others. Why wouldn't you get a properly fitting suit??

If you spend a lot of time in the water, lets say an hour on this dive than another hour after your SI on the next dive, you will probably be less comfortable in a loose fitting suit because you will be colder than you would have been in a properly fitted suit.

A suit that does not fit you costs the same as one that does.

thor
08-10-2007, 09:18
I just had a strange wetsuit experience. I recently bought a Bare 7mm and noticed that the neoprene liner, which covers the inside of the zipper had small tears in it. I called the store and they immediately shipped me another one. When I tried on the second suit, I noticed that it was considerably smaller. I checked the size, and both suits were the same size, same style. I even tried on the suits, without looking at which one was which, to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I am sure the newer suit will stretch but, it is a little uncomfortable now, so I am thinking of keeping the one with the slight tears and just gluing the tears (It's on the inside of the zipper liner of the suit and I am thinking it won't matter much).

Any thoughts?

yankeefan21
08-10-2007, 14:25
If you have something that fits now - get the same size. If you decide to try on a bunch of suits at your LDS, at least buy it there. Sure, you may spend an extra $10 or so, but come on. I buy almost everything from ST but I think it would be really disrespectful to my LDS if I went in, tried a bunch of stuff on, then left and bought online. Tell them if you see a better price and see what they can do. As long as they are within a few bucks, throw them a bone.

Just my humble opinion.

yankeefan21
08-10-2007, 14:31
I was advised for warm water diving it was better to go a little on the Loose side. Did I recieve some bad advice? Well it would depend on your exposure time and how well you deal with cold...

If you spend a lot of time in the water, lets say an hour on this dive than another hour after your SI on the next dive, you will probably be less comfortable in a loose fitting suit because you will be colder than you would have been in a properly fitted suit.
I don't know. I wear a full suit in all water temps . I find that if you have a long SI, it's much easier to put a wet suit on if you don't need a shoe horn to get in it.

Definately get something that fits [ie. not baggy] but it's okay if it fits a [I]little looser. I guess it all depends on perspective.

WV Diver
08-10-2007, 14:32
I just had a strange wetsuit experience. I recently bought a Bare 7mm and noticed that the neoprene liner, which covers the inside of the zipper had small tears in it. I called the store and they immediately shipped me another one. When I tried on the second suit, I noticed that it was considerably smaller. I checked the size, and both suits were the same size, same style. I even tried on the suits, without looking at which one was which, to make sure I wasn't imagining things. I am sure the newer suit will stretch but, it is a little uncomfortable now, so I am thinking of keeping the one with the slight tears and just gluing the tears (It's on the inside of the zipper liner of the suit and I am thinking it won't matter much).

Any thoughts?If it fits really well, keep it and use aquaseal on the tears. Aquaseal will out last the suit...............if you do it right.

Better yet call them and tell them this and maybe they will send you a third one to try.

namabiru
08-10-2007, 16:29
Might be personal preference. I'd rather have something that's tighter around the wrists but a bit looser on the legs, and also medium tight/loose on the neck. I have a wetsuit which is too loose around the arms, and it seems my buoyancy sometimes suffers as a result. Perhaps it's a mental thing, though.

nferra2
08-16-2007, 13:41
I am having trouble deciding what suit to order. My height says Small, my Chest says medium, my Waist and Weight say large.

dallasdivergirl
08-16-2007, 14:33
my mares 5 mil is a perfect fit all over. I will say that going and trying on wetsuits definately helps. I had to get one size larger than I thought due to my height.

I had previously bought a shorty online and it's too loose but now I have room for my s/s rash guard for a little warmth.

namabiru
08-17-2007, 11:48
I am having trouble deciding what suit to order. My height says Small, my Chest says medium, my Waist and Weight say large.

Heh. You sound just like me on the charts. I prefer to buy a suit that matches my waist and weight. So I end up purchasing the large to accommodate this, only the large *should* fit someone who's maybe 5'10", and I'm only 5'4".

I would say buy either a medium or large. If the medium will accommodate your weight/waist with being just a smidgen small (an inch or so), you could probably swing the medium. Otherwise probably the large, unless the chest is going to be super frickin' big.

As for those height recommendations, I don't really follow them. You'd probably be fine buying the larger height suit, as I find it's made up for in my legs.

I obviously don't want to advertise my measurements right out there (36-24-36, he he), but if you want, PM me, and I don't mind being more honest with you that way.

nferra2
08-17-2007, 23:00
Well, I have a long torso and short legs. Someone suggested to try the Bare short sizes, and I think they might just work.

kevinj1
08-18-2007, 15:37
Gorrilla, I would go to Divers Direct and try on the one you like. They have a bunch of different wetsuits. I am not telling you to buy from them, their prices are crazy. But, at least you will know first hand, what suitfits you.

namabiru
08-19-2007, 12:01
Well, I have a long torso and short legs. Someone suggested to try the Bare short sizes, and I think they might just work.

Mmm! They certainly might. I have a similar build, with a longer torso and shorter legs, and I was looking at the Bare size chart. If I ever decide to buy a more expensive wetsuit (that is, from my faithful Neosport), I am going to try Bare I think.

Hey, let us know how you get on.

nferra2
08-19-2007, 12:15
Nobody locally carries bare, but when I go to Navarre in few weeks, hopefully I can find a shop where I can try on some suits.