PDA

View Full Version : Sleep deficit and fatigue

Navy OnStar
12-07-2007, 22:56
Once every 3 months, Navy Squadrons have to have a Safety Stand-down where we stop flying for the day and look at our practices and have some lectures on specific safety issues. Today we had a lecture on Sleep deprivation.

Without boring you all with all the details (although the hour lecture was far from boring) here are some of the more interesting things I learned:

-You cannot "Bank Sleep" You can only have no deficit
-Americans as a whole carry around a 25-50 hour sleep deficit.
-We can't erase a deficit like that in one weekend. We may feel perfectly rested after sleeping all weekend but tests show that your cognitive ability recovers at a much slower rate.
-Statistical data shows that people who get less than 6 hours or more than 10 hours of sleep every day die younger than those who get 8 to 8.25 hours a night.
-If you are perfectly rested (no deficit), your internal clock will wake you just before your alarm (if you get up the same time everyday.)
-Naps of any length are good and do wonders to improve you performance

And the Gems of the whole lecture

-The majority of memory formation is made permanent between the 6 and 8 hour point of sleep a night. A study done on people in boot camp showed (with the same classes and instructors) the group with only 6 hours of sleep a night performed 20% worse than those who got 8 hours of sleep a night.

MY FAVORITE

-Tests have been conducted on 2 sets of people doing the exact same simple cognitive test and the results show that people who are awake for 20 to 24 hours continuosly have the same test scores as the group with a .08 Blood Alcohol Level.

I was so amazed I just had to share

SO DON'T DRIVE TIRED!

Good Night

OnStar

navyhmc
12-08-2007, 05:23
I had heard something similar before, but a good refresher.

BTW, how's P'cola? Her is The Rectangle State, it sucks!

scubajane
12-08-2007, 08:13
don't DIVE tired either. Sleep deprivation is a terrible thing. It can make a person crazy lazy and dumb. I have never understood why companies think It is a good Idea to make their employees rotate shifts. It takes about 2 weeks to adjust to each shift and some people rotate through all 3 shifts in a week..

WV Diver
12-08-2007, 08:40
I have always been an early bird and I still wake up well before my alarm everyday. I admit in the summer months I probably only average about 6 to 7 hours sleep a night but they are good hours as the team can work up to 15 hours a day. But then I am a lot more active than I am in the winter months and this makes more sleep less productive.

I feel best when I have had about 7 hours. If I sleep too long I feel bad all day, sluggish and tired with no energy. It is better for me to get too little sleep than too much, at least in the short term.

Everyone is different, I know some people that can only sleep 4 or 5 hours no matter how hard they try and couldn't function with 8 hours.

Navy OnStar
12-08-2007, 09:01
I have always been an early bird and I still wake up well before my alarm everyday. I admit in the summer months I probably only average about 6 to 7 hours sleep a night but they are good hours as the team can work up to 15 hours a day. But then I am a lot more active than I am in the winter months and this makes more sleep less productive.

I feel best when I have had about 7 hours. If I sleep too long I feel bad all day, sluggish and tired with no energy. It is better for me to get too little sleep than too much, at least in the short term.

Everyone is different, I know some people that can only sleep 4 or 5 hours no matter how hard they try and couldn't function with 8 hours.

form the lecture: 1 to 2% of the us population are short sleepers that require less sleep. I know I am an 8 hour person....sounds like you are a short sleeper.

WV Diver
12-08-2007, 09:04

form the lecture: 1 to 2% of the us population are short sleepers that require less sleep. I know I am an 8 hour person....sounds like you are a short sleeper.

Sounds about right. :smilie39: I very seldom find myself among the normal or average folks of the world. :smiley36::smiley32: I wish I could go on the 4 or 5 hour schedule but I definitely can not do that.

Navy OnStar
12-08-2007, 09:24
Sounds about right. :smilie39: I very seldom find myself among the normal or average folks of the world. :smiley36::smiley32: I wish I could go on the 4 or 5 hour schedule but I definitely can not do that.

I know the feeling:smiley36:

BuzzF117
12-08-2007, 09:47
7.5-8 hrs and im golden any more then that and I usually have a headache all day. Had to change jobs because of sleep deprivation I couldn't get myself on any type of schedule and I would run stop signs so the similarity between drunkeness and sleep deprevation was a real thing in my life. I am now back on an up at 5 am schedule everyday and luv it. I do occasionally go short on sleep for one day but make it up by crashing that afternoon.

RoadRacer1978
12-08-2007, 11:27
I can say I am an eight hours person as well, although in the last 2 years I hav been learning to make it on less. I have to sleep weird hours and say up for long periods of time somethimes, well actually most of the time. It was a really rough adjustment at first, but somehow your bod starts to adapt. I'm not saying I am always giving myself the rest I need, but I am getting to the point that I feel more rested and find it easier alot of the time to stay awake.

Thanks for the info. I have heard most of it before, but like always I learned something new today.

Goober
12-08-2007, 12:05
Good stuff!

Dive Rong
12-08-2007, 14:02
OnStar - Thank you -The information in your posts on Search/ Rescue and this one are great examples of the reason I keep coming to this forum - please keep it coming!

MikeJ7
12-08-2007, 17:28
Nice to know

Travelnsj
12-08-2007, 18:05
Great info.....I'm a 5 to 6 hour person....unless I take a sleeping pill....recently when I arrived in Bali.....with major jet lag....planned my next day for 4 dives...with only about 6 hours sleep in 48 hours...after the second dive...headache....drinking water it seem like by the gallons...a thought crossed my mind....If I were to do another 1 or 2 dives....I've heard of this thing called DCS.....I ended the day....went and slept.

divingchef
12-08-2007, 18:41
Hey "on-star"....this is good stuff.....but I have a question...how do you make up a sleep deficit? If sleeping 8 hours is optimal....and you canīt bank sleep, what is the best way to make up the deficit?

At what point does the deficit reach "critical mass"...ie: body shut-down, falling asleep while standing up etc....

I ask because I suffer from cronic sleep deprivation....

mexico is a "6-day" work week county, and I typically work from 8 am to 11pm...and I am unable to run home and go straight to bed....

things like wife, unopened bottles of wine, night fishing/diving all get in the way of the sleep.....

what would be the best way for me to make it up?

I also think that I have forgotten what it feels like to be well rested as over time the "sleep-deprived me" has become my reality.....

thanks for the info.....(i know it was only an hour class and you're not a "sleep doctor, sorry for so many questions)

Navy OnStar
12-08-2007, 21:45
Hey "on-star"....this is good stuff.....but I have a question...how do you make up a sleep deficit? If sleeping 8 hours is optimal....and you canīt bank sleep, what is the best way to make up the deficit?
You can build back up by getting more than 8 hours but once the deficit is gone you can't get ahead (bank sleep)

At what point does the deficit reach "critical mass"...ie: body shut-down, falling asleep while standing up etc.... I'm not sure exactly. We didn't go over a maximun deficit. Seemed to level out at a very poor performance depending on how much sleep a person got at night. the problem is the larger the deficit the worse health the person would get in. The tests the instructor referenced showed that the bigger the sleep deficit the more illnesses one had until the immune system was no longer functioning and infections set in.

I ask because I suffer from cronic sleep deprivation....

mexico is a "6-day" work week county, and I typically work from 8 am to 11pm...and I am unable to run home and go straight to bed....

things like wife, unopened bottles of wine, night fishing/diving all get in the way of the sleep.....

what would be the best way for me to make it up?

Naps if possible, any length, any time, will help! Only consistently getting the right amount of sleep can truly make it up.

I also think that I have forgotten what it feels like to be well rested as over time the "sleep-deprived me" has become my reality.....

thanks for the info.....(i know it was only an hour class and you're not a "sleep doctor, sorry for so many questions) That's one of the quirks of being sleep deprived. You get used to the feeling and after a day of good rest you feel better but tests show that performance only improves slowly and it takes many days of good rest to get back to 100%

It sounds to me like you could use a vacation and like you said I'm not a "Sleep Doctor" but your schedule would wipe me out! Hope you get some rest!

OnStar

Navy OnStar
12-08-2007, 21:48
OnStar - Thank you -The information in your posts on Search/ Rescue and this one are great examples of the reason I keep coming to this forum - please keep it coming!
You're very welcome. I try to pass on what I can. Being the Safety Officer at my squadron, I have to constantly research different topics to get people thinking about.....stuff. Whenever I come across good stuff I try to post here as well.

DiverBry
12-08-2007, 21:54
Great info. I recently drove to Florida for Thanksgiving from Texas, and we drove straight through so we'd have more time there... and I went diving a few days later... had a great time diving, but really felt tapped.

Next time, I'm stopping for the night (maybe at Pensacola to do some diving on the Big O)!

Travelnsj
12-08-2007, 21:59
That's one of the quirks of being sleep deprived. You get used to the feeling and after a day of good rest you feel better but tests show that performance only improves slowly and it takes many days of good rest to get back to 100%

It sounds to me like you could use a vacation and like you said I'm not a "Sleep Doctor" but your schedule would wipe me out! Hope you get some rest!

OnStar

Did they give you any do's and don't on sleep aids?....I try not to take them more than once a week.

Thanks for discussing & sharing this info.

ScubaJenn81
12-09-2007, 07:28
I get very cranky and sometime nausous if I do not get at least 8 hours a night on a very regular basis.

Navy OnStar
12-09-2007, 10:09
Did they give you any do's and don't on sleep aids?....I try not to take them more than once a week.

Thanks for discussing & sharing this info.

That question was asked and his answer to us was: He cannot recommend sleep aids to Pilots. There aren't any sleep aids the Navy has approved for pilots to use and continue to fly while using them without strict flight surgeon monitoring. But he also said, "Sleep is Sleep" as long as you don't get addicted to them. The problem for us is most sleep aids cause you to be groggy the next morning. Not good for a flight instructor
Most "over the counter" sleep aids, if you look at the active ingredients, have diphenhydramine.......also known as benadryl. This is just me, but when I was in a non-flying job My doc recommended half of a 25mg Benadryl to help me sleep because my schedule was on a 20hour day vice a 24(Surface Navy, they're weird like that). It helped me get to sleep most of the time and I wasn't groggy the next day.

Disclaimer: I am not a Doc and only had this recommended to me by MY doc for MY circumstances. Check with your Doc before starting any medication! (that almost sounded official:smiley36:)