PDA

View Full Version : Anyone dive the Pinnacle evolution 2 ?

somewhereinla
12-08-2007, 13:10
I have the opportunity to get one for %25 off and I am seriously thinking of getting it. I just wanted to know if anyone dive this suit and if they had any comments, advices they'll like to share.

paintsnow
12-09-2007, 00:56
i havent gotten a chance to dive it yet, but ive heard nothing but good stuff about it, and its the suit im going to get.

curious as to what others have to say though.

cummings66
12-09-2007, 07:57
Based on the ones I've seen and handled if you can get it for less than what Scubatoys sells it for, ie $1500 then buy it immediately. I like the suit, the only thing I don't like is the fact it doesn't have an attached dryhood.

somewhereinla
12-11-2007, 17:01
Yes, it's about the same price, $1528 minus the %25 sale which is a $375 saving. I just want to make sure it's a good suit...

Does anyone knows how heavy it is. How much extra weight do you have to put on to your weight belt?

paintsnow
12-11-2007, 20:38
depends on your tank and it will change each time you change your undergarments.

so if your wearing 5 sweaters itll take more then if your wearing a long sleeved tshirt

cummings66
12-12-2007, 21:04
For myself based on the 7mm wetsuit I use on occasions, and the type of suit this one is and the undergarments I currently use, for ME I would need to add no more weight than I used with the wetsuit.

For the record I use a 200 gr thinsulate under garmnet with thermal fleece under it that should be somewhere around 100 gr or so. Their the Winchester brand thermals I found at Walmart one year.

bjoseph
12-13-2007, 09:59
I have the opportunity to get one for %25 off and I am seriously thinking of getting it. I just wanted to know if anyone dive this suit and if they had any comments, advices they'll like to share.

Where can we all get one of thse at such a good price?? Can you share your secret?

kancho
12-13-2007, 12:43
For myself based on the 7mm wetsuit I use on occasions, and the type of suit this one is and the undergarments I currently use, for ME I would need to add no more weight than I used with the wetsuit.

For the record I use a 200 gr thinsulate under garmnet with thermal fleece under it that should be somewhere around 100 gr or so. Their the Winchester brand thermals I found at Walmart one year.

So the ones found in walmart works as good as the thermal fleece you find in dive shopped that are priced really high?

cummings66
12-13-2007, 14:57
I can compare it to my Andy's USA35 which is commercial. Yes, the Winchester brand fleece thermal underwear is as good as the Andy's USA35.

Note, I use it only as a layer to absorb sweat and thus reduce how often I need to wash the thinsulate. I try to wash it once a season to extend it's lifetime. Basically it's a stink reduction plan. Viking normally uses a wool undergarment under the Thinsulate, but I find fleece works just as good for me.

cummings66
12-13-2007, 14:58
Forgot to add, by itself that amount of thermal is not good for diving in anything other than warm water.

SHAGGY
12-13-2007, 17:05
My Department just ordered a pair of Pinnacle Evo 2 drysuits for myself and my partner from ST. They should arrive sometime around the first of January. We chose it over the DUI mostly because it appears to be very durable and Joe also recommended it since we will be diving in some pretty demanding working conditions with lots of underwater obstructions in near zero visibility.

somewhereinla
12-14-2007, 22:09

Where can we all get one of thse at such a good price?? Can you share your secret?

Not a secret at all, if you go to scubaboard "deals" you'll see the thread for the 25% deal, the offer has expired but pm the store and ask if they will extend the deal to you. They probably will.

paintsnow
12-15-2007, 02:18
yeah, personally i dont know what to wear with what temps, so i guess im just going to have to go out and experiment some day with sweatpants and stuff.

all the commercial stuff is really expansive.

cummings66
12-15-2007, 10:49
Many sweats are made of Cotton, don't use those. Cotton once wet will not keep you warm. Buy some hiking clothes if you must, or eBay. Fleece isn't always expensive but you can expect to pay at least $100 to $200 for something useful.

somewhereinla
12-15-2007, 11:27
A lot of people use the ebay undergarment and rave about them. They go from $45 to less than $80 depending which thickness you get them in and are as good as the $200 one.

CompuDude
12-17-2007, 19:51

Hey, I have a local buddy who just purchased one of these and dove it for the first time this weekend at the dive park in Catalina. Drop me a line and I'll put you touch with him.

SHAGGY
01-17-2008, 22:59
Well,............ I figured that I would post a lil update to this thread. Myself and my partner just recently recieved our Pinnacle EVO2 suits from ST and and I am really impressed with the ruggedness and quality of the suits. We did our Dry Suit class this week at ST and I quickly realized that they act differently than wetsuits, but after a while in the pool I got the hang of it and got my bouyancy good and the instructor showed us how to handle some of the problems that can happen as well. Im really pleased with the quality and the thickness of the shell because we chose the Pinnacle EVO 2 suits over the DUI suits because of the duarability factor. They do weigh a lil more than the DUI suits and they wont pack as small as a DUI suit, but for our type of work it just seemed the EVO2 was best for us.

On a side note, After our Dry Suit pool session we had to have ST ship our suits back to Pinnacle to have them add larger boots. While both me and my partner wear a size 12 we ordered a 13 to give us a lil room but they were still too tight to get on with the thermal socks on. So we had to get them to add size 14 boots. Kinda makes me wander why use fins now,...........LOL But Pinnecale promised to quickly take care of the problem and so did ST and my hats off to both bussinesses for taking care of the customer.

mm_dm
01-18-2008, 07:30
Thanks for the report Shaggy, I've had my eye on that one as my present suit is showing some wear. Please let us know how responsive their customer service is.

Gombessa
01-18-2008, 12:06
That's great Shaggy,

It must be nice to be able to stop by the ST shop. Mail ordering suits back and forth for alterations just doesn't seem like fun.

Divingguy
01-18-2008, 20:32
Mine finally came in today. Taking it to the lake in the morning to work with an OW class.

Divingguy
01-23-2008, 19:41
OK, update time. Mine came in last Friday. I got into the pool at Scubatoys with it wearing my Pinnacle temperate undergarment to get at least a general idea about weighting. I then put it to work helping with an OW class out at CSSP all day Saturday and Sunday. Preliminary thoughts:
1. Suit is rock solid.
2. The only "leak" I had was purely user error, when I allowed a piece of my underarmor sleeve to peek out under my wrist seal. I was damp on that arm from the elbow down. BONE dry on all subsequent dives!!!!!
3. Neck seal was snug but bearable, but by Sunday, wrist seals were bruising me. I will trim the wrists before I wear the suit again.
4. I experimented between using just the suit, or the BC and suit for buoyancy control. This will require more practice, but no uncontrolled ascents.
5. I used the DUI weight harness, and my Zeagle Brigage BC. One thing I did notice was that when I inflated the suit just enough to keep off the squeeze, it never really felt like much air went down to my lower body. I may need to loosen the DUI harness and/or the Brigade. The only reason this was a problem was that the suit felt VERY tight and restrictive on my lower body movement. Again, once I get more confident that I will not cause an uncontrolled ascent, I may be able to put some more air into the suit.
6. I really did have trouble getting my Tusa Xpert fins off of the molded boots after dives. I do not know whether air made the boots expand into the fins, or what.
7. The water temps were about 46. Over the course of 2 days my face got so cold I had trouble talking. HOwever, although my body could feel that it was cold outside the suit, I was generally fine.
8. My re-ordered suit had size 12 molded boots. I wear size 11 street boots. I was able to wear liner socks, thin wool socks, and then thicker wool socks inside the molded boots. Worked pretty good.
Overall, I am VERY pleased. I still need to get more practice, and will go do the actual dry suit course, but I like the suit. It was just SO nice to be able to get out of the lake, towel dry my really short hair, put on a knit skull cap, and be totally warm while the wetsuit divers were really suffering trying to regain core temp.
Hope this info helps.
Tom

coyote
01-25-2008, 16:02
Okay, I'm convinced. Just got off the phone with Joe. I got one comming now.
:biggrinbounce2:

Gombessa
01-25-2008, 16:05
I just love fitting a stock suit that comes with all the necessary "options" (suspenders, pockets, etc.).

It's kind of like shopping around for a german car, and finding that you're perfectly happy in a Camry that doesn't make you a la carte everything.

SHAGGY
01-25-2008, 18:55
Divingguy,

Thanks for the report. I cant wait until my suit arrives from having the boots swapped to a larger size. I normally wear a 12-12 1/2 and I got a 13 and it fit fine but wouldnt fit with the thermal socks so I had to get mine swapped to a 14. I'm planning on doing a trip to CSSP when it arrives.

shaggy

Divingguy
01-25-2008, 20:24
Shaggy: I used 1 layer of skiing type long underwear, a layer of underarmor over that, and then the Pinnacle temperate undergarment. I described my sock setup above. I was fairly comfortable for 46 degrees. The only thing I was NOT wild about was the Pinnacle Hood. It was warm enough, and fit nicely into the neck area of the suit, but it did NOT fit correctly around my face, and was just not comfortable there. Twice it rode up and covered my mouth when my reg was out on the surface and I could not breath. I wound up using a 5 mil hyperstretch, and was fine. I may try trimming the face area on the Pinnacle with my razor knife. Let me know how your suit does when you get it back.

fireflock
01-25-2008, 21:16
My pinnacle drysuit hood was designed to be trimmed. I can't imagine diving without trimming it - the face opening was way too small.

Now if fits nicely just over the skirt of my mask and keeps my head toasty :smiley20:

Trim it up - I put the mask on the outside of the hood and then used a white crayon to trace the outline of the mask skirt. I cut about 1/4" in from there. Measure twice and cut once :smiley2:

Rich

SHAGGY
01-27-2008, 09:56
Divingguy,

I plan on just using an underarmor shirt and shorts with my Evolution undergarmet. I think the Evolution undergarmet is considerably thicker than the Temperate undergarmet that you have. I have tried on the Pinnacle hood that came with the suit and it didnt have much streatch to it. We also got a Mares dry hood when we got our suits. The Mares hood seems to be pretty similar to my Hyperstreatch hood. The fit isnt too bad on the Mares but I know I'm gonna have to trim a little bit from around the mouth area, but other than that it should work great cause it fits just over my mask skirt perfectly but its just a lil narow down around the mouth area. I'll give a lil report on it when it arrives,.... Hopefully it will arrive this comming week.

shaggy

RoyN
01-28-2008, 14:01
I'm planning on getting it soon. Hopefully by next winter. :D

THT98
01-29-2008, 21:57
I have a couple of dive buddies that have the suit, and love it. It's a really good and tough suit for the cold water diving we do.
The only "modification" they have made is switched the hood to a Henderson.

SHAGGY
02-05-2008, 23:00
Well I was informed by ST that Pinnacle said that they were shipping my dry suit and I should have it by this thursday. If so,.... myself and my partner plan on heading out to CSSp and getting some bottom time with them. I'll give a lil review then.

shaggy

coyote
02-11-2008, 16:44
Just got my suit today. Fits great, looks and feels really rugged. Lake Michigan here I come!

I feel like a little kid :spiny:

SHAGGY
02-11-2008, 21:02
I was just gonna give a little update:

We recieved our suits back from ST appx 2 1/2 weeks after we left them at ST for them to ship them to Pinnacle to have larger boots installed. I'm pretty happy with the turn around time considering that they had to be shipped from ST to Pinnacle and then back to ST and then shipped to us. So bottom line is that you can also trust Pinnacle as well as ST to take care of ya.

shaggy

Divingguy
02-12-2008, 07:21
Shaggy - so, have you got it wet yet?????

SHAGGY
02-12-2008, 10:52
Yeah but just in the pool class so far, and did a few short shallow lake dives. Were going to Athens Scuba Park this weekend. The visibility is supposed to be around 25+ft.

shaggy

coyote
02-14-2008, 16:33
I'd love nothing more then to give a report on how this suit performs.
Unfortunately, any diving right now would require hacking a hole in the ice. Explosives might even be needed.
I'd be up for that, but my dive buddies are either hibernating until spring or snowed in.
:tenker:

SHAGGY
02-14-2008, 19:12
Unfortunately, any diving right now would require hacking a hole in the ice. Explosives might even be needed.
I'd be up for that, but my dive buddies are either hibernating until spring or snowed in.

Where are you at Coyote?

coyote
02-14-2008, 20:02

Where are you at Coyote?

Right in the middle of Illinois, surrounded on all sides by corn. My only hope may be to pack up the car, point it south and drive like mad for about 12 hours.:smiley36:

Hmmm.

SHAGGY
02-15-2008, 05:09
Where are you at Coyote?[/quote]

Right in the middle of Illinois, surrounded on all sides by corn. My only hope may be to pack up the car, point it south and drive like mad for about 12 hours.:smiley36:

Hmmm.
. [/quote]

Oh man,......... well at least there should be comfort in knowing that spring is right around the corner.

shaggy