PDA

View Full Version : Reel or Finger Spool???

snagel
12-08-2007, 18:55
After doing a search on the forum, now I'm confused. What do I want a reel or a finger spool? My application is to deploy my safety sausage at the end of the dive during the safety stop to mark my ascent. What do you recommend - finger spool or reel?

S. Nagel

navyhmc
12-08-2007, 19:09
I have a finger spool, for deploying a safety sausage or a marker, a finger spool will work well, but the advantage of a reel is it is easier to wind up.

Firefyter
12-08-2007, 19:10
After doing a search on the forum, now I'm confused. What do I want a reel or a finger spool? My application is to deploy my safety sausage at the end of the dive during the safety stop to mark my ascent. What do you recommend - finger spool or reel?

S. Nagel

You can use either. I prefer a finger spool, as it takes up less room when it's attached to my backplate. However, a reel is much easier to wind the line up on when you ascend. It boils down to personal preference.

WV Diver
12-08-2007, 19:29
It is likely that you will find a finger spool much preferable over a reel for deployment of a bag from depth. In an emergency deployment there are no worries of jamming the reel mechanism and they are much smaller and easier to carry.

Puffer Fish
12-08-2007, 19:43
I have both... but there are different types of reels, some work, some you might as well just used a spool.

All the metal ones I have used so far, suck... there may be a good one out there, but I have not seen it.

The plastic ones work, but I have one that was great until I got some sand in it, and discovered it could not be taken apart.

The type the ST's sells works well, but a word of caution - both reels and spools have their own issues when deploying at depth.

With spools, it is having it in the correct position to deploy, and avoiding getting entangled in the line as the SMB goes up...as having loose line is easy.

With a reel, it is getting your finger on the ratchet as soon as you let go. If not, then things break.

I use a spool, if I am not planning on deploying my smb.... it takes little space..

I use a reel, if I am planning on doing it.

FroggDVR
12-08-2007, 20:07
I prefer my reel over the spool.
Yes both require practice. I have a reel with me most of the time. So the reel it is.

If you want a reel that will not jan look at the Manta JR. Best reel I have purchased to date.

I was diving the Oriskany one weekend. Well I guess I should start at the begining. The captain had the deckhand go down to set the chain. She had not practiced witht the spool. anyway she got tangled in the loose line of the spool(if not kept tight line will flake off). It got around her fins one thing led to another and she became entangled in the mooring chain from the boat. She hit the flight deck right next to the elevator at 139'. To end the a long story she made it up and out. Tank out of air and she was about 1 or 2 minutes from passing out. She ended up being ok. 2 of my divers are EMT's so they had things under control.
After talking with her we figured out what had happened. it was the line flaking off of the spool that started the whole thing.

If you are going to use a spool practice practice practice before depending on it

in_cavediver
12-08-2007, 20:10
It is likely that you will find a finger spool much preferable over a reel for deployment of a bag from depth. In an emergency deployment there are no worries of jamming the reel mechanism and they are much smaller and easier to carry.

I'm gonna be honest and disagree. I have both and many people I know have both and they are split on preference. Some people find the simplicity of the spool great. Others have issues controlling it while it goes up and prefer the 'handle' a reel provides (cold water with dry gloves). I prefer neither but if I *have* to shoot a bag, it goes to a reel, specifically, a Larry Green 400' primary. Smoothest reel I have used. Kinda hard to find though.

snagel
12-08-2007, 20:14
Wow...what a story. In fact, the line "flaking" off the spool is something I've been nervous about and leaning toward the reel. Thanks for your advise.

S. Nagel

ianr33
12-08-2007, 20:15
For shooting a bag from safety stop depths I would go with a spool.Small and easy to carry.

Shooting bags from depth (>100 feet) then I would use a reel.

in_cavediver
12-08-2007, 20:30
Wow...what a story. In fact, the line "flaking" off the spool is something I've been nervous about and leaning toward the reel. Thanks for your advise.

S. Nagel

Here's a couple more 'self deployment' stories.

1) In roubidoux springs, Missouri. I was at 30' stop and another team came in. One 150' self deployed without the divers knowledge. She found out about after 100' had deployed and despite my best efforts, found my manifold and my buddies. She dropped the spool and we had something to do at the 20' stop. Took us a full 20 minutes to get it untangled. (we had 50/50 and 02 so the bottles we were using were in front so valve shutdown emergency wasn't likely or life threatening if we couldn't do it)

2) In Peacock springs, another 75' spool self deployed. a PIA and waste of bottom gas to re-spool it.

I have others if you interested.

I've learned. Keep spools in pockets until you need them. I have yet to see a reel self deploy. (except the one that fell apart but it literally fell apart)

Splitlip
12-08-2007, 20:51
How did they self deploy?
Where they clipped off? Bolt snap come loose or not wound tight enough?

WaScubaDude
12-08-2007, 21:25

and had some air in the bag, yes??

in_cavediver
12-09-2007, 10:35

I can only speak for one of the cases where I watched it happen. Basically, the bolt snap simply came off the spool when it brushed against a deco bottle. Spool dropped straight down.

The others had the spool separated from the bolt snap so I assume something similar happened there as well.

I don't count mishaps when reels/spools are not stowed as that's user error.

Still, we have three spools and use them fairly regularly. we also have 5 traditional reels and use them as well. (two 400' primaries, 2 150' jump reels, 1 60' gap reel, 1 150' spool and 2 75' spools)

CompuDude
12-10-2007, 16:57
I use reels for horizontal line (Salvo), and simple delrin spools for shooting bags. Super-simple proper technique and a tiny bit of practice prevents any issues with using a spool, and then it is far safer than a reel that could jam, IMO. No moving parts is good thing, in my book. A reel is nominally easier to re-wind, but it depends on how much you are shooting. For deeper than a 70' stop I can see why a reel might be wanted, but for stops 70' and less I'd much rather use a spool.

divingbuddy
12-11-2007, 15:08
I too have found the spool very simple and easy to use for deploying a SMB from relatively shallow depths.

I've tried both, and both do work, but I prefer the spool.

I keep a bag and spool rigged in my right dry suit pocket, and can deploy it quickly when needed. A reel would not fit in my pocket.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

beperkins
10-17-2008, 13:12
For me a quality reel is just so much easier to handle. But I sure do envy the space saving spool users.