PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic vs. bug eyes

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 20:58
I have always liked the panoramic mask, and my old one is so, but I have noticed that most of the masks for sale here are the split eyes. Is this the basic trend? What manufacturers make a pano mask with a purge?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

tarheeldiver
12-09-2007, 07:29
I just got the Tusa Tri-Ex mask that I like very well good field of vision it has a nice fitting skirt on it

Matt P
12-09-2007, 08:20
I used a single lens mask until I went to Jamaica. The resort provided all gear including masks. It was a no-name mask with lots of milage. I found ti to be the most comfortable mask I'd ever used. So, I replaced my existing mask with a Mares Demon (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MaresDemonMask). I like the Demon a lot. I would definitely recommend this product.

It sits close to the face (low profile) so it provides a very nice field of vision. I belive I have the clear skirt, which was a first for me. I was used to black skirtted masks. I've found no noticable difference.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 10:01
Matt P,

Did you notice any difference in the Field of Vision?

That Demon is a sweet looking mask!

Thanks for the info.

Matt P
12-09-2007, 10:44
Matt P,

Did you notice any difference in the Field of Vision?

That Demon is a sweet looking mask!

Thanks for the info.I did see an improvement in the peripheral field of vision. But, I believe that is an attribute of the mask being "low profile" and not necessarily related to it being a 2 lens vs 1 lens mask. My previous mask was not low profile, any low profile mask probably would have been an improvement.

Yep, it's cool. I like it. I have the silver one. Buddy has a different model Mares and like it very much.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 13:58
I may spend the extra for a low profile over a 1 lens pano that is higher volume. Thanks for the info!

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 05:30
I have a hydroOptix that I love. Great field of vision. It is a double domed mask and not a flat mask. Due to this it is a -4.5 and better for near sighted divers. I am a -3.5 so I wear disposable contacts of +1 to get the best vision. What I like about this mask is that it corrects for my bifocal needs. I uses the water as part of the lens so things far away look in focus because it has a thicker lens and things close are still in focus because it used a thinner lens. Great mask for us near sighted people who don't mind wearing contacts. There are those with normal vision who wear contacts to get near sighted so the they can get the periperal vision and those who wear it just for the bifocal feature of the mask. It is a higher volume mask, but once you adjust your diving skills to that you don't know the difference.

Scubakraut
12-11-2007, 14:50
Anyone has the PanoramicPurge from ST? (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PanoramicPurge)
how do you like it?
http://scubatoys.com/store/masks/pics/PanoramicPurge.jpg

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 15:06
I was eye'ing that one as well, but the model without the center post.

Scubakraut
12-11-2007, 16:04
Purge or no purge? I never had a purge valve, do they really work?

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 17:19
I LOVE a purge valve... these days though it appears they are old technology, but in the early nineties, that was the mask to have... so I am going to get one and a secondary low profile and try them out to see which is the best.. but I still love the purge... so easy to clear the mask.

Most will disagree with me.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 21:05
I use to think purge was for wimps who couldn't clear their mask. But since I have a mask now that only comes with two purges (one on each side of the mask) I am a convert. No longer will I belittle purgers.

RonFrank
12-11-2007, 22:08
I dove with the Genesis PanView for about 6 dives. Once I tried a Big eyes style mask, I stopped diving the Panview. It's low profile, and has a good field of view, but I prefer the wider vertical view of the Big Eyes Style.

I've dove since then a Mythos (nice mask until the frame broke), the XVision, and currently may favorite mask of all time the Atomic Frameless.

I have the Panview, and one XVision for sale...

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 22:13
My first few mask had no purge, so it was the tilt and blow method... when the purges became available and hot... we just thought the gates to heaven opened... what an amazing advancement we thought.... sheeezzz ... how times change so fast.

I still can't wait to ttry out my new purge mask though.... kinda like singing 80's music when no one is around! ;-)

azdiver
12-14-2007, 17:33
I dove without a purge mask for about 15 years and then tried one with a purge.... I can't even begin to think of using one withont them now. Matter of fact, I bought a new mask last year and sent it in to have a purge added to it after market!

Scubakraut
12-26-2007, 21:24
so who all dives with a Pan view mask? What are the pros / cons? I'm still debating if I should get one or not. Any other ones that are any good besides the one ST has.

EVAD
12-27-2007, 00:24
hey mate purge valves do work take some geting use to but. its just as ezy to blow it out.

Goober
12-27-2007, 04:40
Purge or no purge? I never had a purge valve, do they really work?

I used purge masks in the late 70s early 80s. They seemed to be the "in"thing back then. However, it did not take me long to realize that even the smallest grain of sand could get hungup the the purge valve and actualy cause the damn thing to leak. Some love them, I prefer one without. I use a scubapro fino. I love the mask, excellent field of view, comfort is off the chain and it is actually a small lense mask compared to the bigeyes out there.

Never really cared for the pano...the right angle in the lense always created a distortion that I never really cared for.

azdiver
12-27-2007, 07:40
the best mask around is the one that fits you! i suggest you go to your lds and try some on wearing a snorkel or regulator mouthpiece. that way you will at least get an idea of how it seal and fit when diving.