PDA

View Full Version : Durability of Lycra skin suit

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 21:00
Anyone have one of these? How durable are they? Did the BC cause any chaffinf or wear? How was the protection level?

Thinking of getting one for the real warm dives. I like to have a little protection from the sea life, etc.

Thanks,

Mike

Damselfish
12-08-2007, 22:06
They're pretty durable but will wear, naturally the better heavier ones last longer. I've resewn the occasional seam and toss them when places start to get threadbare but that's probably 100 or more dives. Velcro will do a number on them like most anything.

We've moved to .5 or 1mm neoprene skins because they're more durable and easier to get on if they're a little damp, plus a little warmer.

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 22:15
That was the answer I was looking for really. Thanks. For the price, you can't beat it, but I did not want it to fall apart after 2 dives. The water temp will be almost 80 in the river this summer so a thin bit of protection is all I really was looking for.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 05:09
I had a lycra skin that I did about 40 dives with in Okinawa. It got put away when I came back to the states. 15 years later I pulled it out of an old box that had made its way out of the attic. The suit was still usable. They are nice in warm water. No chauffing, no rubbing of the BCD, very comfortable.

Zenagirl
12-11-2007, 07:04
After checking out lycra skins vs microprene suits, I went with the 1mm microprene. Not only are they more durable, but frankly they provide much better protection against the ocean hazards.

SarahBella
12-12-2007, 07:57
Both of my sons wore them last July in Tampa...at first they were against it until they understood how jellyfish could ruin a dive just as it started. It also helped when the DM pulled his out of his gear bag. They used them all season and they are still in good shape(less than 20 dives). When we dive the cold water here in NY it also helps with pulling on the wetsuit.