PDA

View Full Version : Underwater headlamp?

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 21:02
Anyone have a reccomendation? I am going to be doing some fossil diving in a river and want to have my hands free as much as possible.

Depth will be 15-40 ft.

Thanks,

Mike

Airborne!
12-08-2007, 21:46
My personal preference would be a hand mounted unit for river diving if the river is murky and has lots of particulate matter flowing as most rivers do. A head mounted unit would cause issues with beam scatter close to your eyes and mess with your vision.
Then it just depends on what you want to spend. Night Rider and Nocturnal Lights make some nice hand based units that allow your hands to still operate normally, but they are on the expensive side. OMS has a unit that I think Scuba Toys has available that can be mounted either on the head or hand, but I can’t speak for how it works myself. Heck for the price of the OMS you could get one for each hand.

cummings66
12-08-2007, 21:46
Use a goodman handle on a light, no problems then.

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 21:48
Not familiar with that... can you explain further???

Airborne!
12-08-2007, 22:06
Goodman (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=goodman)
A "handle" for an underwater torch/light that fits over your hand. It allows you to point the torch/light by moving your arm and still keeps your hand free for doing other things.

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 22:12
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

UCFKnightDiver
12-08-2007, 23:17
lol ahh prolly not too bright or good but the UK QD40 has a mask mount get the LED

navyhmc
12-09-2007, 04:28
Not knocking the product (well, maybe...sort of.. :)) I haven't tried one yet, but I can't help but wonder if using that as a head lamp in less than clear waters (i.e. silty) would give you that same type of problem as using your brights while driving in heavy fog. Can anyone enlighten me.

adv diver1: From looking at the picture for the head light on ST shows a hand attachment as well. I think that would probably work for you..

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 20:02
navyhms... i too would like to know about the effect of the light in silty conditions. It would seem that it would be the same as driving in the fog with the brights.

Anyone ever used any colored typed lights with an success in the silt?? Red or Green maybe??

allison finch
12-14-2007, 18:25
Niterider has a good, moderately priced bunch of headlights. I have been using one for years while doing photography. Both hands are left to wrestle with the rig. The light points to wherever I'm looking.:smiley20:

Reg
12-16-2007, 03:46
Has Anyone tired the OMS 3W Headlamp (output: 80 Lumens) or the Pelican 2680 Headsup Light (Output: 33 Lumens)?

navyhmc
12-16-2007, 07:44
Niterider has a good, moderately priced bunch of headlights. I have been using one for years while doing photography. Both hands are left to wrestle with the rig. The light points to wherever I'm looking.:smiley20:

I am going to guess that you are diving in some good visib areas. Have you used a headlamp in water with less than stellar visib? If you have, how is the glare off the lamp?

Airborne!
12-16-2007, 20:57

I am going to guess that you are diving in some good visib areas. Have you used a headlamp in water with less than stellar visib? If you have, how is the glare off the lamp?

Depending on how much and the type of particulate matter in the water a head lamp can mess with your eyes and even give you head aches. If the light reflects/scatters too much it will mess with your eyes and play havoc with your head. I prefer to use the light on your hand in these cases. Assuming you are not using a full helmet I would also suggest a black skirted mask if you do use a head mounted lamp.

adv_diver1
12-16-2007, 21:43
What is the best for diving in silty river conditions?? Is there a different color lamp that can be used. I would assume white would be almost blinding??

Airborne!
12-18-2007, 01:28
If you are going to keep the light on your hand then just go with the “white” light. If conditions are bad then you’re going to want to get something with a narrower beam to minimize scatter or even an adjustable. A Halogen or maybe an LED would work and even a narrow focused HID would work. You just have to watch the HID lights because they can be extremely bright and scatter horribly in really low vis conditions if the beam is not narrow.

buddhasummer
12-23-2007, 05:26
Has Anyone tired the OMS 3W Headlamp (output: 80 Lumens) or the Pelican 2680 Headsup Light (Output: 33 Lumens)?

I have no first hand experience with the OMS Ultra bright Headlamp, but there are a few comments on it on Scubaboard forums, by all accounts its a nice and very bright light for its size a narrow spot beam, $66 at scubatoys....has a goodman elastic handmount so gives you handsfree..****ns on 2 CR123a so long shelf life...I want one...:smiley20:

team2tank
01-15-2008, 11:20
uk mask mount, awesome!!!!! bright and always shines where your looking, not into the sand on your hand,,,light does no good if your digging and its with your hand in the ground....

malley1717
03-29-2008, 22:55
If you want to save 10 bucks on the OMS and piss off joe and larry (sorry guys) ST will match scuba.com's price of 56.56 for the OMS. Im getting it once i get my act together.

CompuDude
03-29-2008, 23:07
Head-mounted lights are really lousy for your buddies... anytime you look at them, if they look back they get to be blinded.

Goodman hand-mounts offer much better control.

aggie99
03-30-2008, 11:41
Scubatoys has a special on their Diverite 10W HID which I think would be a good light for what you are trying to do:

Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light, Dive Lights, Dive Rite, Dive Rite MR11 Sunspot HID Slimline Light (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=DIRMR11SunspotHIDSlimlineLig ht)