PDA

View Full Version : Cheap dive knives?

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 22:40
Anyone know where to get a standard/ basic dive knife in the black sheath. I have seen them at gun/nife shows for $10-$20.

Anyone have a link? I want to give some to younger members of the family without blowing the budget. They are not scuba cert'ed yet, but the knife is to entice them to keep their eyes on it.

fisheater
12-09-2007, 00:44
Those $10-20 "dive" knifes at the gun shows are most like cheap, imported knock-offs.

I would be surprised if they were either sharp or corrosion-resistant, let alone both.

PsychDiver
12-09-2007, 07:01
You missed a good deal a few weeks ago here at ST. They had a Scubamax BCD knife for $4.95. I bought 10 for presents. Now it is not the greatest knife but it was decent. I am sure it will cut just fine for those 10 times in the next 10 years I am going to need it. I use my pocket knife for routine stuff and save my dive knife for diving.

WV Diver
12-09-2007, 07:24
Not sure exactly what you are looking for here. Blue Reef make some pretty inexpensive knives you may want to look at the store site or call the store to ask questions. The number is in my signature line.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 09:55
I just want the kids to have a little scuba knife that is not really sharp or too deadly you know. And PhsycDiver, those are the ones I was looking for. The cheapies that still ave the plastic sheath that the knife clicks into. The kids just love those.

snagel
12-09-2007, 10:35
You get what you pay for....my brother in law bought the cheap $5.00 knives. They corroded severely after the first dive (although it was salt water).

BTW - I can't resist....you mention young kids...how young are they? I get the feeling these are very young kids....you want to give them knives? Not trying to be a @ss here, just commenting on the tone of the post.

S. Nagel

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 10:42
The knives will not be used for diving anytime soon, although they might be taken snorkeling, and the kids are ages 12-16. I already purchased the young kids (5, 7 & 9) cheapy mask/snorkel combos for use in the pool this spring. The older kids already have pretty good snorkeling gear and have been snorkeling. The oldest is interested in becoming certified this summer.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 10:45
P.S. the parents of the 5, 7 & 9 year olds would KILL me if I gave their kids a knife... the others 12-16, are good to go.

In fact if I gave the little guys knives, they would probably kill me with them before their parents could kill me for giving them knives!! LOL!

snagel
12-09-2007, 10:51
Awesome....sounds like those kids are on there way to becoming divers some day. Sounds like you are supporting them.

S. Nagel

Z-naught
12-09-2007, 11:10
Among DIR devotees it is quite popular to use a cheap steak knife with its blade ground down to a stub. Their reasoning I believe is that a dive knife is used exclusively as a linecutter, and due to being so easy to lose, should be as inexpensive as possible. You could pick up a cheap steak knife at a dollar store, grind it down, and make a simple sheath by sewing a bit of 2" webbing, having spent almost nothing for a functional, if unglamorous, little knife. I personally prefer fancy titanium knives, but the super cheap, DIR compliant, homemade knives have their following. See Agir-Brokk (http://www.agir-brokk.com/5f58e795-e0f4-44cc-8f9f-b5914bef931e-29.html) for a professionally manufactured version of the converted steak knife.

Cheers

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 21:31
No, just looking for those cheap dive knives with the cool sheath... the sheath is really what makes it.. that clikcing sound and the blade is enough to keep a young kid excited for day!!!

fisheater
12-09-2007, 23:23
No, just looking for those cheap dive knives with the cool sheath... the sheath is really what makes it.. that clikcing sound and the blade is enough to keep a young kid excited for day!!!

Sure worked with this considerably older kid! (Of course, it was a nice titanium knife. But the sheath!!! Awww.)

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 09:59
They love a sheath... me too of course... a knife is a knife.. but what you said about the sheath and the clicking noise.. Awwww!!!

LOL!! We are all just a bunch of kids trapped in these large adult like bodies!

PsychDiver
12-10-2007, 11:19
You get what you pay for....my brother in law bought the cheap $5.00 knives. They corroded severely after the first dive (although it was salt water).

Yes, mine did too on the first dive bc I left it in the sheath and didn't dry it off. Now when I am done with a dive I just take it out of the sheath and dry it.

Damselfish
12-10-2007, 11:28
I would comment on buying knifes for kids for Christmas - but my husband gave his nephew a swiss army type knife for camping, which actually made sense. But not sure who needs a knife snorkeling or a play knife that will corrode if actually used diving?

Maybe something like fish ID books or cards or something of that nature would be a more useful gift and more likely to inspire a desire to dive?

Shortyman801
12-10-2007, 16:44
If they are anything like me,(I have to have a knife for every occasion) then they will want a gift-card to ST, so they can buy a nice knife for themselves that will last longer.

drifter136
12-10-2007, 16:55
You might want to be careful with the addiction you are about to cause. I got my first pocket knife when I was 6 years old, and that did it for me. Of course at that age, I had to get permission from my parents anytime I wanted to take it anywhere, but I now have a collection of knives and swords. I already have two small BC knives and plan to get a larger titanium knife and EMT shears. Are three knives and a pair of shears necessary?...probably not, but when else can a knife lover wear fixed blade knives and not have others cowering in fear or thinking he's crazy.

MSilvia
12-10-2007, 17:00
I would comment on buying knifes for kids for Christmas
If someone had been less overprotective, gotten me a knife when I insisted as a kid that I was old enough to learn woodcarving, and taught me to use it safely, I wouldn't have the big scar on my left palm that I earned by learning the hard way that:

Loose razor blades are no good for whittling.
Cut away from yourself, not toward.
Despite their best intentions, people who try to shield you from danger instead of giving you the knowledge to avoid it may be doing you a disservice.

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 19:35
Thanks MSilvia... that is one thing I have learned with my children and others is that if you teach them the proper way, they will be prepared and not run with scissors or something.

The children who are getting the dives are old enough and they have a pool they practice snorkeling and free diving in. With it strapped to their legs they will get used to the feeling, and also after being shown will be able to practice deploying, sheathing and using it under water.

It is just a knife, these are boys and responsible ones at that. I remember shooting rifles in the Boy Scouts when I was 9, so a dive knife for potential divers is a must.

Also, they already have several fish ID books, books of knots, seamanship and other such educational books along with DVD's. They are into Planet Earth and Man vs. Wild. These aren't your oridnary video game type kids.

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 19:37
And if ANY kid really wanted to get there hands on a knife for a bad purpose or any other purpose, all they have to do is go to the kitchen.

Damselfish
12-10-2007, 19:50
I would comment on buying knifes for kids for Christmas
If someone had been less overprotective, gotten me a knife when I insisted as a kid that I was old enough to learn woodcarving, and taught me to use it safely, I wouldn't have the big scar on my left palm that I earned by learning the hard way that:
Loose razor blades are no good for whittling.
Cut away from yourself, not toward.
Despite their best intentions, people who try to shield you from danger instead of giving you the knowledge to avoid it may be doing you a disservice.
you'll note I didn't comment, and said it makes sense sometimes (but you selectively quoted my post)

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 19:56
These forums can be alot like Pandora's box. Once there is a slight hint of an opening... it flies open and you can't get the da#n thing closed again.

It happens.

And even though you did not comment, you commented without commenting... you implied your comment without actually typing it... but that is OK. I remember my Mom getting all frazzled when my dad, grandfather and uncle starting doing these things with me. It is in your nature to be protective...

:-)

Damselfish
12-10-2007, 20:35
whatever, wasn't really my point, but people will read what they want.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 05:52
Hey, what do you think of those Cubs?

teog
12-23-2007, 20:39

BTW - I can't resist....you mention young kids...how young are they? I get the feeling these are very young kids....you want to give them knives? Not trying to be a @ss here, just commenting on the tone of the post.

S. Nagel

I agree with this on both dive and non-dive knives. Spend the extra cash and get a decent blade.