PDA

View Full Version : Pro's and Con's

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 14:12
Of owning your own tank??

in_cavediver
12-09-2007, 14:24
Con: VIP and Hydro costs. Cost to purchase

Pro: Have the gas whenever you want. You don't have to drive to get or drop off tanks. You can choose your optimal tank rather than get whats available. You can save partial tanks and use them again. If you call a dive or days dive, you can save the gas. If you dive nitrox, you can keep whatever mix you want. You can also have O2 clean tanks for what you want.

In the end, if you dive enough locally, owning a tank will pay for itself in convenience and enjoyment, even if the financial part is a wash. If you don't do much local diving and fly everywhere, its probably better to just rent.

WV Diver
12-09-2007, 14:27
No rental fees.

Keeping extra full tanks around means you don't have to plan things around dive shop or fill station hours. This is big for me and is related to many of the other good reasons to have your own tank as will see below.

You'll dive more if you don't have the hassle of picking up and returning tanks all the time.

A lot a Fire Departments will fill your tanks for free.

Last minute dive opportunities are more likely.

When your buddy discovers he forgot to get his tanks filled the last time you went out you have some for him.

Out of town guests appreciate that you have tanks for them.

nathanbarlow
12-09-2007, 14:27
Pros:
You know the tank is in 100% working order
You can dive the same type of tank material and size everytime - no weight changing
You can just sling the tanks in your car and go diving. no rental hassles
Cheaper in the long run

Cons:
You have to clean it everytime or it will corrode
Hydros and VIP costs (factor this into your diving costs as part of fills etc)
If the safety valve blows, you have to pay for replacement (was NZ$30)
Need to have spare Orings on every dive in case you develop a leak.
Need somewhere to store it in cool and dry conditions (i use my bedroom, lol but im a single 20yr old, so no partner to hassle about that)

DarinMartell
12-09-2007, 14:32
What is the average cost of Hydros and vip's?

in_cavediver
12-09-2007, 16:04

For Me: Hydro $13-$15 depending on the tank. The bigger and specifically heavier steel tanks are $15 (8" LP steels), everything else is $13. This is every 5 years.

VIP: My time. I do them myself. Figure $10-$15 locally for VIP + Air where I am at.

terrillja
12-09-2007, 17:46
agree with everyone else, for me, knowing the history of the tank is worth something, if the tank got moisture in it because it was left empty, I don't want that tank, but with a rental tank, you don't know. With my tanks, I know.

Prices around mass and NH that I have seen for the vis are about the same as in_cavediver had, but hydros are a little bit more, about 20-30, depending on where you go.

for me to get a fill in NH,it can be a pain, since the lds is closed tues and thurs, plus some weekends, and they close at 5pm, even in the summer, so if you rent a tank you have to bring it back by then, which can be a pain.

We now have 4 AL80s and 4HP steels between my dad and I, which gives us a decent number of tanks, and more freedom to dive when we want to. Oh, and we also each have an AL30, don't know of any shops who rent those around me.

RoadRacer1978
12-09-2007, 18:08
My thoughts are around the lines of everyone else here. Having yur own tanks will be convienent and you will probably dive more. You can, at any time just grab your tanks and go diving. No need to plan ahead and get your tanks before the dive shop closes, or the day before if they will be closed the next day. If you dive alot it may make it cheaper, but to me just having the convienence is worth the cost. Plus the closest dive shop is 30 minutes away and in the opposite direction of the local lake I usualy dive in.

Cost for my hydro, vis and fill was aroun $30-$34 can't remember the exact price right now. Vis will get you every year and hydro only every 5 years.

tarheeldiver
12-09-2007, 18:36
Owning is definitely better I can go do a couple of dives in the morning before the dive shop even opens up.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 18:37
I am still considering.....

somewhereinla
12-09-2007, 18:44
If you dive twice a year, it's pretty much all con, if you dive 50 times a year then it's much cheaper...

nathanbarlow
12-09-2007, 18:45
fair enough - its a big investment. I recommend getting two identical tanks though,as I only have one and its a pain having to borrow/rent extra tanks for a 2 or 3 dive day

in_cavediver
12-09-2007, 19:13
fair enough - its a big investment. I recommend getting two identical tanks though,as I only have one and its a pain having to borrow/rent extra tanks for a 2 or 3 dive day

Yeah but you have to be careful. I swear our tanks are mating or something (explains the 13's, just baby tanks). Just a few years ago we had 3 tanks, now were at 14 and looking at 4 more.......

terrillja
12-09-2007, 19:22

Yeah but you have to be careful. I swear our tanks are mating or something (explains the 13's, just baby tanks). Just a few years ago we had 3 tanks, now were at 14 and looking at 4 more.......

Agreed, we aren't that bad, yet. I got my OW cert in june of 06, my dad got his in july of 07, when I got mine, I bought a tank and a pony. Once my dad got his ow cert, we started diving together, and we now have a total of 10 tanks between us including ponies.

Puffer Fish
12-09-2007, 19:24
I am surprised that this has not already been addressed, but owning your own tanks means you can have whatever size and type you want.

I have all Faber XF tanks... 100 cf, for beach dives, because the total weight I have to carry is a lot less.

117's, and 133's for making the most of two tank dive..

I pick the Nitrox mix... and I dive a lot with people doing the same sort of thing.

So, it only makes around a 20 min increase on a dive, but make a lot of dives and it adds up. Diving in the Destin or Boyington areas is mostly 60 -80 dives, and doing a average hour dive sure is a lot more cost effective than the standard 76 cf aluminum tank.

CaptainRon
12-09-2007, 20:40
My closest LDS is an hour drive. With gas prices, it is a lot more cost effective to have my own than two round trips just to pick up or return rental tanks.

adv_diver1
12-09-2007, 21:40
So, it seems to me that if you are not a regular local diver, or you travel alot to destinations, Tank ownership is not for you....

I am a local diver and was thinking the opposite because of maintenance. Vs. the price for a tank and rentals, is the yearly maintenance a wash???

Thanks.

in_cavediver
12-10-2007, 05:03
So, it seems to me that if you are not a regular local diver, or you travel alot to destinations, Tank ownership is not for you....

I am a local diver and was thinking the opposite because of maintenance. Vs. the price for a tank and rentals, is the yearly maintenance a wash???

Thanks.

VIP is $10-$15. Tank rental is $5-$10 per day. So, in 2-3 days of rental, you break even. Its the $150-$300 in purchase cost that takes a while to break even.

SarahBella
12-10-2007, 09:35
Cost VS being able to get up on a Sunday am and just go on a whim...it sounds worth it to me. There is an up front cost plus the yearly VIP but not having to run to the dive shop to get them, not risking the dive shop is out of tanks(happend to us back in October), and not having to worry about getting the tanks back in time seems worth it too me.

DarinMartell
12-10-2007, 10:09
I have only used rentals, If I have a couple of tanks at home and keep them full does the air get "stale" after a couple on months?

WV Diver
12-10-2007, 17:03

My LDS charges $20.00 for a hydro and $9.00 for VIP.

tarheeldiver
12-10-2007, 18:21
I have only used rentals, If I have a couple of tanks at home and keep them full does the air get "stale" after a couple on months?
Somebody else may know different but I've used mine after setting over the winter and I couldn't tell any difference.

CompuDude
12-10-2007, 19:00
Personally, more than 6 months and it's time to pay a few bucks for a new fill. Realistically, you may feel comfortable with as much as a year.

There are reports of people using tanks that have been sitting around for many years, and used with no ill effects.

For me, it's worth a few bucks for the peace of mind after more than 6 months have passed.

As to pros and cons of ownership, I covered the economics pretty extensively in this thread (and I don't want to re-type it all!): http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/71-what-break-even-point-tanks-buy-v-rent.html

It comes down to this: There is a huge convenience factor that is difficult to put a price tag on. From a pure economic perspective, however, I think if you're doing 50 dives per year or more, locally, it's definitely worthwhile to own. Less than that, and depending on the logistics of tank rentals in your area, it may be simpler and cheaper to rent.

scuba_jenny
12-10-2007, 19:34
If you are concerned about air going bad in your tank then there is something wrong with the tank! Either that or it is bad air to begin with.

As for me, I have 2 steel 80's and am looking for 2 more. One of the benefits of tank ownership is being able to customize tanks for your needs.
Down here a Hydro will run $25, and VIP $15, depending on where you go. If you go straight to the shop that does the hydro instead of dropping the tank off at your LDS, you can save a few bucks.

Mycroft
12-10-2007, 19:56
12$ for a VIP and that include sit coming back full. Haven't done a hydro yet.

For me, it is the ability to be sure of having a 130 cft tank available to me. And the first liveaboard I went on was Nekton from Ft Laurderdale, so I brought one of MY tanks along for the week vs their 95s.

And cost? I sold 43 magic cards and that bought me 2 130 CFT HP steel tanks. Since I haven't played Magic in years.....

Puffer Fish
12-10-2007, 21:44
Somebody else may know different but I've used mine after setting over the winter and I couldn't tell any difference.
Same here.. never let them set a year, or even 6 months, but at 3 months, the O2 level is the same (I test my tanks before using).

DarinMartell
12-10-2007, 21:48
Ok, so what I am seeing is they are nice to have but it is ok to rent a few years to wait to have the rest of my kit put together. Then when the time comes spend the money and get something bigger then 80's.

ChrisA
12-11-2007, 01:28
Of owning your own tank??

If you don't own a tank then every dive means two trips to the dive shop. If I had to rent I'd be in the shop three or four days a week. Also you can buy the tank size and material you like. Mine are all steel. I have some 72s, am 80 and a couple LP95s. the 72s are great for shallow beach dives. and I paid only about $50 each for them. One of them was made in the 1960s. Look for used tank deals.

ChrisA
12-11-2007, 01:37

It stays good. The requirement to have the tank inspected every year means they have to be re-filled at least every year, that is often enough.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 06:10
Used tanks can save you a bundle. I orginally bought two new tanks and later bought two used tanks. They all held air, breathed pretty much the same, and the used ones didn't require any more maintenance than the new ones. Just be careful when you first buy them so you are not buying a tank that has already been condemed or is full of rust. You will get your dollars back faster with used tanks. The convenyence fact is perhaps the best reason to own. But you still have to go back to the dive shop to get it filled.

CompuDude
12-11-2007, 12:45
Used tanks can save you a bundle. I orginally bought two new tanks and later bought two used tanks. They all held air, breathed pretty much the same, and the used ones didn't require any more maintenance than the new ones. Just be careful when you first buy them so you are not buying a tank that has already been condemed or is full of rust. You will get your dollars back faster with used tanks. The convenyence fact is perhaps the best reason to own. But you still have to go back to the dive shop to get it filled.

I agree. I love used tanks for the savings. Just be VERY careful... you want a tank that has been hydro'd recently, and you want to have a vis inspection at a trustworthy shop to be part of the deal.

I've been burned on a used tank that failed hydro before. Fortunately it was relatively cheap, so I only paid $160 for an HP100 that I only got 9 months of use from, but I learned my lesson.

Especially be careful of buying used tanks from Florida, where they DRASTICALLY overfill their tanks every day as normal procedure, and then sell off just before the hydro date just in case it fails.

MSilvia
12-11-2007, 13:16
If I have a couple of tanks at home and keep them full does the air get "stale" after a couple on months?
It shouldn't. If it does, you need an inspection big time.

in_cavediver
12-11-2007, 16:52
Especially be careful of buying used tanks from Florida, where they DRASTICALLY overfill their tanks every day as normal procedure, and then sell off just before the hydro date just in case it fails.

Its just its daily hydro!

Really, watch the PST HP series tanks. These are the older 3500psi variety made under an exemption and not the 3AA designation. These are NOT the newer E series 3442 tanks. For some reason, I have heard a lot of them are failing hydro. (3 from friends of mine on thier first hydro).

My LP PST's of the exact same vintage, with the Florida abuse, passed no problem.

rfb3
02-12-2008, 16:51
Owning is good because you do other things with the air:
Blow up air matresses, flat tires (while traveling), etc..

doczerothree
02-12-2008, 17:21
I like having my own tanks. If something comes up or I get a call to dive I'm ready. (just add water). Around hydro time I can get a little cranky but it's worth the freedom.

SEMPER DEEP

Bob-B
02-12-2008, 19:03
Ever wanted to grab your gear and swim around the pool while the kids played in the shallow end?? With your own tank you can do that.

johnyringo
02-12-2008, 19:16
Cost VS being able to get up on a Sunday am and just go on a whim...it sounds worth it to me. There is an up front cost plus the yearly VIP but not having to run to the dive shop to get them, not risking the dive shop is out of tanks(happened to us back in October), and not having to worry about getting the tanks back in time seems worth it too me.

Well put.
My LDS is 30 minutes away and closed on Sundays. It would be a real pain to have to dive around their schedule.