PDA

View Full Version : Old Mares Power Plana fins

kauai diver
12-09-2007, 23:54
I have the Mares "Power Plana" fins from the lates 1980's,
I was wondering if anyone knows of some aftermarket spring straps that work with these old strap buckles?
These seem to propel me fast, although they take alot of muscle to propel, the opaque silicon type material at the buckles have gottten real stiff and adjusting the straps is very difficult. It may be time to upgrade to a modern set ?

ScubaToys Larry
12-10-2007, 04:35
The mares all use standard size buttons, so any of the spring straps will work out... Here is a link to 2 different Spring straps from Tilos:

ScubaToys-SF Search Engine Output Page (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/search_results.asp?iLevel=1&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&txtsearchParamTxt=tilos+spring&Submit=Go)

Some people like the ones with the plastic buckles, while others will say that the buckle then will still have the ability to break, so it shouldn't be used... should be all steel... So your call there!

captain
12-12-2007, 16:31
I have owned a pair of power plans graphite fins since the 80's and still love them. As you say they are fast and light. I recently bought a like new pair off Ebay. I haven't ever seen spring straps that will work on the old style buckles, that would probably be a DIY project.

captain
12-13-2007, 09:47
On second thought you should be able to use the spring straps for the Scuba Pro jet fins.