PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Are you a water person?

mitsuguy
12-10-2007, 09:39
Let me elaborate:

Are you a person that just loves being in the water and the things to see are a bonus, or are you a person that deals with the water only because you have to to see the underwater sights?

The reason I ask this, is that it seems there are some of those that are just not water people, yet choose to dive to see things underwater. I know this is no way of telling, but I am curious at the same time to see if those people are more susceptible to having issues underwater.

Personally, I am a water person, I dive because I love being in the water - things to see are just a bonus underwater. I am a swimmer at heart, and am just as comfortable in the water as out of it. Things like water splashing in my face, swallowing sea water, whatever - none of it bothers me and I don't freak out if I can't breathe underwater - I just hold my breath longer - its all mental...

Diver Kat
12-10-2007, 10:59
LOVE the water, always have since I was a kid growing up on the New England coast ... would have lived in it if I could have figured out how. I was always happier looking at water, swimming in water, floating in water, playing in water .... Stupidly, it didn't occur ro me to take up diving until a few years ago. I guess living in the middle of Texas, diving didn't seem like an option. Boy was I wrong! Now I try and spend as much time as I can under the surface .... I guess until I get too old and have to go back to floating around up top!

BSea
12-10-2007, 11:27
I guess I have my Mother to thank for my water skills. Neither my Mother or my Father were much in the way of being water people. But my Mother thought it was important for my sisters & I to learn to swim. So almost as soon as I could walk, I was in the water. In fact I don't recall not being able to swim. So when I was growing up, every summer as soon as the pool was open, that's where I would be.

However, swimming was 1 thing, and diving was another. My parents would never let me go diving when I was young. It wasn't until I was in college that I started SCUBA.

mitsuguy
12-10-2007, 11:34
I guess I have my Mother to thank for my water skills.

same person, different reason here...

my mom was on swim team in high school, so naturally, I was in the water, even before I could walk... my mom always reminds me of swim lessons when I was only 9 months old... not that I could swim, mind you, but just a familiarity thing...

RoadRacer1978
12-10-2007, 11:35
Love the water. Swimming in the lake, or a pool, Scuba Diving, anything in any water. The only thing better would be if I had gills. :)

Matt P
12-10-2007, 11:39
I love it...in, on, under, near, around...insert your favorite preposition

Jimi
12-10-2007, 12:50
Love the water! I became of certified Life guard because I loved being in the water, I though could there be a better job while in School.
Now that I am I am older. The thought of being a rescue diver, seems like a dream job. But I am afraid time and McDonalds has not been as kind as I had hoped. So I am a IT guy, but I keep a nice water background up all the time.

dallasdivergirl
12-10-2007, 13:08
I love the water. I would be in the water all day every day if I could.

I really miss when I was living on the boat in my early 20's. Those were some great years.

FroggDVR
12-10-2007, 13:49
I melt when I get wet. So I dive DRY :smiley20::smiley20::smiley20:

Always a way around things huh

Navy OnStar
12-10-2007, 14:14
:AR15firing:As long as someone isn't strapping me to a seat, making me wear a blindfold, flipping me upside down under (highly clorinated) water and having me find my reg, undo my seatbelt, find a window/door and swim to the surface, fully clothed including boots, then I love the water!

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 14:25
I am either on the water fishing, or under the water diving...

I don't like to swim on the surface of saltwater though, unless in full dive gear... caught TOO MANY creatures that would love to have a snack... that is what fishing does for you. No problems at all under the water though....

Thanks Mom for the 10 years of swimming lessons!! LOL!

mitsuguy
12-10-2007, 14:52
:AR15firing:As long as someone isn't strapping me to a seat, making me wear a blindfold, flipping me upside down under (highly clorinated) water and having me find my reg, undo my seatbelt, find a window/door and swim to the surface, fully clothed including boots, then I love the water!

kinda sounds like fun :)

Navy OnStar
12-10-2007, 15:00

I do it every four years and it's not fun! It's the Navy Helicopter Dunker. We have to get out 4 times from different seats before we are qualified. It wouldn't be so bad but they use about 4 times the necessary chlorine and your eyes and sinuses are shot for a week!.

Daved
12-10-2007, 15:31
I should qualify my vote--warm water only! Sea or Ocean. No Chlorine, Bromine or anything else. Just nice warm water.

mitsuguy
12-10-2007, 15:38

I do it every four years and it's not fun! It's the Navy Helicopter Dunker. We have to get out 4 times from different seats before we are qualified. It wouldn't be so bad but they use about 4 times the necessary chlorine and your eyes and sinuses are shot for a week!.

I seriously need to find someone that'll sneak me in to do that... it really does sound like fun...

WV Diver
12-10-2007, 15:38
Flipper is a wuss. :smiley29: :smiley36: I'm a fish. Literally, born a Pisces I love water and always have. I am as comfortable in the water as out of it. :smiley31:

nathanbarlow
12-10-2007, 16:24
mitsu - i agree that sounds like fun!!

ScubaJenn81
12-10-2007, 16:48
I am odd, I am a good swimmer, and love to be in the water, however, I do not like underwater things touching me like fish, seaweed, etc. If I am all geared up, I feel fine, but I do not swim in deep ocean water in just a swimsuit. I am also very prone to seasickness. But other then that, I love the water.

tarheeldiver
12-10-2007, 17:03
I love being on the water I could live on it if I had the chance

Zenagirl
12-10-2007, 18:28
When I was a kid I spent most of my life in a swimming pool (big time competitive swimmer through high school). Water is relaxing to me and draws me like a moth to a flame. Part of what I love about diving is feeling the water on my body. That's one reason I'm not interested in diving locally, which requires a dry suit (there are many other reasons)...you don't get (or want!) to feel the water on your skin.

A glass bottom boat just frustrates me and the idea of a submarine just creeps me out.

Navy OnStar
12-10-2007, 18:59

I seriously need to find someone that'll sneak me in to do that... it really does sound like fun...

I can't get you into the Dunker, but I'll duct tape you to a lawn chair and throw you into my pool if you want!?!?!:smilie39:

OnStar

ScubaGir1
12-10-2007, 19:41
I can honestly say I'm just as comfortably in the water as I am on land. I learned how to swim before walking, I was a competitive swimmer for 13 years, varsity swim team all 4 years, and I still swim for fun now. :D If I wasn't this comfortable after all that...I'd have to be crazy LOL. Scuba was just a matter of time to get certified, I knew I would be certified one day. No matter now long I may be out of water for (days, weeks, etc.) I am always just as comfortable once I get back in. :) Oh yeah, and I'm a pisces. :)

freediver
12-10-2007, 20:45
Not from a real strong aquatic family background. In fact, as a child, I had a morbid fear of the water. However, a genuine love for the water evolved and a large part of my livelihood is spent in the water teaching boardsailing, lifeguarding, scuba and freediving. Ohh the irony!

Kokomo
12-10-2007, 20:50
I LOVE the water. Whether it be swimming diving wading or just looking at it. Although looking is tough...I at least have to get my feet in it. It energizes and relaxes me.

navyhmc
12-10-2007, 23:16
When I was 5, mom decided that we should learn to swim so we went to the pool at FT Mead Md for lessons. The swim instructor told me to jump in the water and totally freaked when I jumped into the deep end with out a care in the world. I had watched her give my older brother and sister their tests and thought "that stuff is easy" The only thing I couldn't do was float on my back-never been able to-I try and I sink.

As I was older, I would try to stay underwater as much as possible-even got my comuppance on a school bully who tried to pick on me in the pool. I had mask/snorkel and fin on, he grabbed me so I took him to the bottom of the deep end and held his thrashing self there for about 30 seconds. Then let him go and calmly stayed down another 30 seconds or so. Funny, he never picked on me again (probably because I told him the nexttime I would not let him up earlier than I was going to come up.)

To me, skin diving and scuba were logical paths to follow.

fisheater
12-10-2007, 23:54
I, too, love water. That's why my non-swimming parents signed me up for swim lessons while just a tyke.

hychang
12-11-2007, 13:37
I love the water. My uncle, who does scuba dive, taught my brother and me to swin in Phuket, Thailand when we stayed with him. It's taken a while, but I finally got into scuba this year at the age of 40. I've Just been diving in the local quarry so far and really enjoying it. I am anxiously waiting to do ocean diving next year.

RonFrank
12-11-2007, 14:26
I've been in, on, and around the water most of my life. Swimming, Water skiing, boating, fishing, surfing, snorkeling, etc.

Grew up in Oregon and we had a boat. So Lakes in the summer, fishing and crabbing in the winter. Spent later high school years in N. VA, and trips to the Outer Banks were frequent as well as water skiing on the regular.

I've swollen so much water over the years it's just hard to imagine.

Now diving fits that lifestyle perfectly! :smiley2:

3rdEye
12-11-2007, 16:04
I guess I have my Mother to thank for my water skills.

same person, different reason here...

my mom was on swim team in high school, so naturally, I was in the water, even before I could walk... my mom always reminds me of swim lessons when I was only 9 months old... not that I could swim, mind you, but just a familiarity thing...

same person, different reason here too...

my mother is deathly afraid of water....nevermind deep water. She enrolled us in swimming lessons very young, and took them at the same time. But while we were swimming in the deep end, she was trying to get comfortable enough just to be able to put her face in the water. I doubt to this day she would go in the deep end of the pool. And I would bet the thought of jumping into the ocean and going down 100 feet would mortify her.

480 volt
12-11-2007, 18:43
I hate the water, but that is the only way I can dive :smilie39:

skippy11
12-12-2007, 11:14
I love the water!! So, much in fact, I had my daughter in infant swim class by age 3months. She is now almost 4 and swims like a little fish. My family loves being in and near the water.

cummings66
12-12-2007, 12:33
I love the water, in fact I just joined the local Y now that they got a pool because I want to swim much more than I do. My goal is to swim a mile non stop and someday I will make it. When I say non stop I mean without changing stroke in the middle.

I've been swimming since I was little, been in the water everywhere I've been and never really feared it. I'm trying to get my wife and daughter swimming, Elizabeth is 4 and can swim about 10 feet or so, but stops when she needs to breathe. She can swim under water better than above it so there's hope yet. We won't talk about my wife.

turtle_guy
12-12-2007, 21:39
consider myself a turtle slow and clumsy on land but unstoppable once in the water.

captain
12-13-2007, 16:15

Ah, the imfamous Dilbert Dunker, such fun.

gnwes
12-24-2007, 09:56
I've always done very well in the water, even when i was a kid i always loved it.

teog
12-24-2007, 13:11
I think I am. I love most water activities. I hate just going to the beach though. I'd rather be in the ocean.

Goober
12-24-2007, 15:35
Love it! Always have always will!:smiley20:

Goober
12-24-2007, 15:37

Ah, the imfamous Dilbert Dunker, such fun.

Lest we forget how hard you guys hit the water.:smiley29:

davepoff
12-24-2007, 18:15
I love being in the water. I still have the thought of Jaws in the back of my mind when I am swimming on the surface.

BuzzGA
12-25-2007, 20:14
My whole family is made up of water people...I come from a long line of sailors and boat designers. We all still race sail boats and hit the water whenever possible

heydn62
11-08-2008, 11:49
My biggest concern about getting certified was being able to tread water for 10 minutes. I've never been able to float with my head above water, but I enjoyed snorkling and swimming underwater. The water tread was not easy!

bsktcase93
11-10-2008, 10:10
if i could live in the water i would, sleepin on the boat is as close as i can get

SynCitizen
11-10-2008, 10:22
I enjoy the water a lot. Being raised and living in the desert limits what I can do for the most part but when I do make it to the oceans and lakes I feel like it makes it that much sweeter when I do get wet.

James1010
11-10-2008, 10:49
I grew up around the water and growing up I wanted to be a Navy Seal lol. So I spent as much time as possible in the water and loved it. Now I joined the Army and not the Navy but I really find the water to be second nature to me. For me growing up I was always that kid who tried to see how long I could hold my breath in the bath tub. But I see what you are saying I have seen some people who dive a lot but they don't look comfortable at all.

drako
11-20-2008, 14:17
I could never live anywhere that is land locked. I need the ocean...at least to hear it or see it.
Whenever in a dive trip Im in the water longer then dry land. Even if its just hanging out on the beach after the dives.

maverick
11-21-2008, 01:44
Just being under water and being weightless no gravity!!!!!

sea princess
11-21-2008, 02:33
I just love being underwater and floating around and being able to just "be" I find it peaceful...seeing all the creatures is a definate bonus but not necessary. I love oceans, lakes and rivers but swimming pools i don't care for much. Living in the desert you end up dealing with pools but they are not my favorite.

RnSdiver
11-21-2008, 02:45
I lost a few girls friends after they went to the lake with my family. I would spend half my time at the lake in the water, and half of that, under it. Most teenage girls tend get get upset about that kind of stuff. Lucky for me the wife Dives too. :)

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 19:58
Not from a real strong aquatic family background. In fact, as a child, I had a morbid fear of the water. However, a genuine love for the water evolved and a large part of my livelihood is spent in the water teaching boardsailing, lifeguarding, scuba and freediving. Ohh the irony!

Good on you! I'm not quite Flipper, but do love diving, snorkelling, boogie boarding, sailing, kayaking... just being around water! I can't quite claim full fish status yet as I'm getting used to low vis conditions- when it gets to a couple of metres it does bother me- but hopefully I'll get those gill upgrades soon....

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 21:08
Always a waterman. Grew up in Queens NYC then the Five Towns on Long Island.
Dad had been a Life Guard and competitive swimmer in a former life. Taught me to swim young and taught me to Jellyfish float which saved my life on 2 occasions as a child. He also took me on a boat in the Sound in the winter and threw me in (parka, boots,etc) so he could be confident I would not drown in the winter.(OK, that was weird)

Near drownings never deterred me although to this day, I have a real problem w/ fresh water. I had an issue at 6 or 7 in a lake,

I was snorkeling as long as I can remember. Long Island and Florida. Grandparents had a home here in Juno Beach since the late fifties. Used Dad's scuba gear when I was 11 or so.

Played those games with other kids in the water and was king. I could exhale, sink to the botom and stay there for ever.

Live by the beach now for 22 years and won't leave. Still surf if the conditions are just right. (have 7 boards between me and my daughter. Down from 11)

Wait. What was the question?
Is this the women's forum?

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 21:16
General training questions! You've got lost. This is a low oestrogen zone.

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 21:17
LOVE the water, always have since I was a kid growing up on the New England coast ... would have lived in it if I could have figured out how. I was always happier looking at water, swimming in water, floating in water, playing in water .... Stupidly, it didn't occur ro me to take up diving until a few years ago. I guess living in the middle of Texas, diving didn't seem like an option. Boy was I wrong! Now I try and spend as much time as I can under the surface .... I guess until I get too old and have to go back to floating around up top!
Kat:
I did not realize you were such sensitive person. :smiley19:

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 21:18
General training questions! You've got lost. This is a low oestrogen zone.

Diver Kat is here.:smiley36:

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 21:31
Mwah hah hah, you cannot escape! The women shall take over the internet! :smiley15: Confidently and without need for water wings! (THe ocean is already ours. Mermaids were just the advance guard).

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 21:34
LOL!

Learning quick, aren't you, my female friend from down under.

Do not fool yourself. Remember, as men, the world is our urinal. You cannot win on dry land.

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 21:41
Hordes of toilet seats left down will testify otherwise... And now we have the She-pee...

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 21:46
Who said men need, or even care about, toilets?
http://www.conversationmarketing.com/Snidely%2BWhiplash.png

Splitlip
11-22-2008, 21:46
(Snidley Whiplash)

Shark girl
11-22-2008, 21:59
Ah, maybe there are some areas where we have to concede defeat... Or at least let you lull yourselves into a false sense of security.

teerlkay
11-22-2008, 22:27
I'm a water person but saltwater is by far my favorite, a distant second is fresh, followed by chlorinated

BarbadosSlim93
11-23-2008, 20:37
I'm a water person but saltwater is by far my favorite, a distant second is fresh, followed by chlorinated

I like the type of water that is frozen.:smiley20: