PDA

View Full Version : Diving in Texas

lovesmexico615
12-10-2007, 11:02
Ok... so I may be relocating from Boston to Dallas due to work. I realize that a lot of you folks are in that area, so what do I have to look forward to as far as diving? And really as far as everything else too? I've never been out there and have no idea as far as what to expect.

Thanks!:smiley20:

MSilvia
12-10-2007, 11:29
Sorry to see you go, but at least you'll be closer to warm water diving. Check out the short term liveaboard trips to Flower Garden Bank on the MVs Spree and Fling.

RoadRacer1978
12-10-2007, 11:34
You'll also be moving close to ScubaToys. :)

Diver Kat
12-10-2007, 11:56
Besides warmer weather and warmer water, you'll have nice short direct flights to Cozumel!!:smiley20:

dutchman
12-10-2007, 14:36
The local diving here is mostly quarries. Lake Travis is popular. It is about 220 miles South of Dallas near Austin. One difference, you will get use to dark and low vis dives. Check out our local clubs on this board for more information.

Bigg_Budd
12-10-2007, 15:57
Clear Springs Scuba Park is a hour outside of Dallas. It's good if you need to get your "fix", but it's no sub for blue water diving...

MSilvia
12-10-2007, 16:00
One difference, you will get use to dark and low vis dives.
Aside from being warm fresh water, your dark, low-vis dives are different from ours how? :smiley36:

awap
12-10-2007, 16:43
Aside from being warm fresh water, your dark, low-vis dives are different from ours how? :smiley36:

Our lobster season is year around - now if we only had lobsters.

MSilvia
12-10-2007, 16:50

Our lobster season is year around - now if we only had lobsters.
We've got a year 'round lobster season in Massachusetts too. Ours even comes with lobsters. I feel like y'all are confusing us with Florida, with all this talk like we have vis and a restricted lobster season.

awap
12-10-2007, 17:17
[We've got a year 'round lobster season in Massachusetts too. Ours even comes with lobsters. I feel like y'all are confusing us with Florida, with all this talk like we have vis and a restricted lobster season.

I'm originally from NJ so I'm somewhat familiar with your vis conditions. But I didn't realize Maine Lobster were year around. Should have - the restraurant tank is rarely empty. Dallas is a pretty good ways from what most folks would consider quality diving. It will take as long to drive to the coast as it does to fly to Cozumel.

mpd525
12-10-2007, 17:35
broken bow lake, Tenkiller Lake, both in oklahoma, CSSP, and athens scuba park, are both in texas around the dallas area.

lovesmexico615
12-10-2007, 17:46
Thanks guys. And Matt- I'm not quite brave enough to venture out for lobsters at this time of year. I'm not too sure how I'll handle not living at the coast, but I guess I'll find out. I'm open to anything if I can dive longer than I can around here- comfortably anyway.

Defman
12-10-2007, 21:00
Like someone else said, you'll be a lot closer to CZM, about a 2.5 hour flight, and the rest of the Caribbean. Clear Springs in Terrell is close, as well as Athens Scuba Park. Most of the lake diving is low viz. You could make the trip to San Marcos (about 3.5 hours south) to Spring Lake, probably the clearest water in Texas and has lots of life in it.

texdiveguy
12-10-2007, 21:16
Aside from being warm fresh water.........

We often dive winter water temps in the lower 40's in north Texas....granted not like the 38f you will find in Lake Superior year round, but pretty chilly. :)

JipThePeople
04-03-2008, 22:50
Ok... so I may be relocating from Boston to Dallas due to work. I realize that a lot of you folks are in that area, so what do I have to look forward to as far as diving? And really as far as everything else too? I've never been out there and have no idea as far as what to expect.

Welcome to Texas. Some dive buddies and I got together last season and started a site dedicated to Dallas area diving (and beyond). It should be a helpful resource for learning about the local scuba parks. Please see DallasDivers.com - A resource for Dallas, Texas scuba divers (http://www.DallasDivers.com) and best of luck!

TX1Chica
04-04-2008, 12:10
Hey, cool site thanks for sharing.

riverrat
05-27-2008, 21:51

Welcome to Texas. Some dive buddies and I got together last season and started a site dedicated to Dallas area diving (and beyond). It should be a helpful resource for learning about the local scuba parks. Please see DallasDivers.com - A resource for Dallas, Texas scuba divers (http://www.DallasDivers.com) and best of luck!

Yea! Thanks for this link. I do like going north once in a while. But there are a lot of lakes in the area that are dive spots, right? Possum Kingdom, Flower Mount, Lake Ray Hubbard, Lake Granbury, Mustang Park to name just a few.

Texaslight
05-27-2008, 22:51
They just opened Mamoth Lake .....filled with planes,buses, and boats...a crane and several other structures...our dive club will be there next month.
Hope to see you there :)....Blue Lagoon and the rigs are great to do...

diver 85
07-09-2008, 22:27
Don't forget the Flower Gardens........head south of Houston to Freeport and get on either the Fling or the Spree........great diving(when the weather's a geaux)......

JipThePeople
07-13-2008, 23:15

Welcome to the Dallas area! One of the best web sites for a resource for Texas diving and especially Dallas area diving is DallasDivers.com - A resource for Dallas, Texas scuba divers (http://www.DallasDivers.com). It has a list of the closest lakes and scuba parks near Dallas, as well as links to weather reports, trip reports, etc. Best of luck with the relocation.