PDA

View Full Version : Calfs and delts?

Shortyman801
12-10-2007, 15:38
Does anyone know a good, equipment free way to work out calfs (other than standing on tip-toes, thats doesn't seem very effective)? Also what is a good way to work out delts?

Bigg_Budd
12-10-2007, 15:55
Dude, I'm a delt maniac. Military press is great for power. Sculpt with one arm raises and flies. Don't forget your traps. Best way to rock those is shrugs...

I can't help you with the calfs. Mine are naturally huge, so I don't even work them...

MSilvia
12-10-2007, 15:56
Walking steep hills will work your calves well.

adv_diver1
12-10-2007, 19:44
I spend alot of time at a desk, so I purchased an Executive exercise bike that goes under the desk. Adjustable toughness and a little computer for $99. Really helps alot. You can get your legs burning in no time.

ScubaJW
12-10-2007, 22:02
I spend alot of time at a desk, so I purchased an Executive exercise bike that goes under the desk. Adjustable toughness and a little computer for $99. Really helps alot. You can get your legs burning in no time.

Interesting, can you show me a link? I would be very interested in buying one like that!

FishFood
12-10-2007, 22:24
Jog up a hill. Or walk backwards up a steep hill. Delt? Im having a brain fart... can't remember what that is. Heh. KNow any brain excersizes?

Bigg_Budd
12-10-2007, 23:22
Delt = Shoulder

mitsuguy
12-10-2007, 23:39
calves = swim with a nice stiff fin...

navyhmc
12-10-2007, 23:39
for your calves, one that I do is stand on a step with only about a third of your foot on the step (just behind your toes) and do some foot lifts. after 20 lifts, you need to stretch your calves a little so with your legs straight, try to lower your heel as far as comfortable-no bouncing.

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 05:33
Here is the link to the under desk mini exercise bike. There are other brands out there you can look at. This one is on sale for the holidays:

Mini Bike Exerciser (http://shopthebestoftimes.stores.yahoo.net/minibike.html)

CODMAN
12-11-2007, 14:22
Bingo for the calves!!!:smiley20: And if this isn,t hard enough, hold some weights (or anything heavy) in your hands. Want it harder? Do one calf at a time with the other foot not touching the ground (that way 1 calf is lifting the full load of your body weight). Carefull with these (as navy said, no bouncing; just slow smooth movement) as you can easily overextend...:smiley11:

Cheers!

for your calves, one that I do is stand on a step with only about a third of your foot on the step (just behind your toes) and do some foot lifts. after 20 lifts, you need to stretch your calves a little so with your legs straight, try to lower your heel as far as comfortable-no bouncing.

Shortyman801
12-11-2007, 16:47
Dude, I'm a delt maniac. Military press is great for power. Sculpt with one arm raises and flies. Don't forget your traps. Best way to rock those is shrugs...

I can't help you with the calfs. Mine are naturally huge, so I don't even work them...

Forgive me for asking, but what is a military press, and raise and fly with one arm?

ScubaJenn81
12-11-2007, 17:11

Forgive me for asking, but what is a military press, and raise and fly with one arm?

Military Press Barbell Military Press (http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/BBMilitaryPress.html)

This site has a lot of decent exercises, you can easily do them with dumbbells and isolate just one side pretty easy.

Bigg_Budd
12-11-2007, 19:01

My brutha, you may want to consult a physical trainer before you just haul off and hit the gym. You can hurt yourself, if you aren't careful.

Go gettem' tiger.

LCFrigon
12-13-2007, 03:22
Delts and calves are hard to workout without equipment, but for delts you can always go super old school....do a hand stand up against the wall with your hands shoulder width apart...lower till the top of your head just about touches the ground and then push back to start begining...in other words do a push up in hand stand position...just don't fall on your head....sounds funny, but it works all the same.

As for calves, I am in the same boat. I have chicken calves...I think they look to small, but they work. I lift just as much as the guy standing next to me with huge calves.... but as for an exercises without equipment...well jump! Simple as that:) Jump over and over without using your upper legs. Ever see basketball players with small calves?

GDiver
12-18-2007, 21:02
box jumps can help as well as changing your running stride to land toe to heel instead of heel to toe. i agree that the handstand push ups work great. once you can get your balance against the wall, they really work the upper body.

bane51031
12-22-2007, 13:47
The step/stair method is good. Up the reps and vary stance to hit all areas of the calf. Love to work my legs and chest, abs not so much.

teog
12-22-2007, 17:08
Here is the link to the under desk mini exercise bike. There are other brands out there you can look at. This one is on sale for the holidays:

That looks interesting.

jeepbrew
01-29-2008, 17:42

I might give this a whirl for the office. Anyone else have another idea of some kind of workout you can do while still working at the desk / computer?

wopsushi
02-08-2008, 14:37
Bottom line, you have to work it out. there are machines out there but they are expensive and bulky. calf raises is the only way i have been able to make mine grow, i have some good size calfs but i also enjoy working my lower body unlike most lifter. you can use your stairs and do calf raise or like myself i have a large cement brick that is high enough for me to get the proper strech, but dont forget to change the position of your toes. i mean point your toes facing in, then straight, then away from each other to work all the various muscles in the calf. and again military presses and lat pull down with a machine or free weights is the only way i work mine. bottom line you gotta sweat and make it hurt some....good luck :smiley11:

Dive4Fun
02-08-2008, 15:26
Doing pushups with one hand in front of your head and the other back by your waist helps with the delts a lot as well, IMO.

johnyringo
02-08-2008, 18:16
For calves stand with about the first third of your feet on a platform thats about 3 inches or so off the ground, heels on the ground, now do about 15 reps of toe lifts, lifting your heels as far as you can off the ground. Do about 15 reps, 2 sets. If you don't "feel it" try holding dumbbells, 30 lbs worth or so. I guarantee you'll have results...and feel results.

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 17:13
My response to any question fitness related: Bodybuilding.com - The Future Of Bodybuilding! Huge Bodybuilding Site. (http://www.bodybuilding.com)