PDA

View Full Version : Just To Get To Know Some Folks

creggur
07-23-2007, 16:29
We are a pretty new community here on the Scubatoys forum, so I thought it would be nice to know who I'm hangin' out with.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Where is everybody from, what do you do, how long have you been diving, and what other passions do you have. I'll start. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Jacksonville, Florida</DIV>
<DIV>Parts Manager for an Audi Dealership-Retail,Wholesale, Internet Sales</DIV>
<DIV>Been OW certified for one week today!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley32.gif</DIV>
<DIV>I've been known to torture myself with golf pretty regularlyhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley18.gif</DIV>

jacewindu
07-23-2007, 16:43
a fellow golfer! i'm huge into golf and a big fan of tiger.
i'd like to one day try what was once done on the moon and bring a club underwater sometime

fire diver
07-23-2007, 16:43
Welcome to the board, and welcome to SCUBA! You'll probably be hocking your clubs in a few months. Once you get a few dives under your belt, you'll start looking at all the bigger and better toys out there.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'll get you started... Backplate and wing (BP/W) in place of your stab jacket, your own tanks.... and more tanks.... and a pony tank.... then a deco tank..... then an HID can light. Good luck! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gifhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Queen
07-23-2007, 17:02
I live in Central Illinois.

I herd cats for a living (aka supervise 45 college students in the bookstacks shelving area of the local university). It's my third career, I worked with mentally ill homeless adults as a counselor for the last twelve years and prior to that I was a firefighter/medic.

I've been diving since 1979.

My other interests are kayaking, bicycling, and motorcycling.

tx.lakerat
07-23-2007, 18:53
DFW area
<DIV>computer consultant / student</DIV>
<DIV>been diving since 2000</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>other hobbies: wakeboarding, boating, enjoying life!</DIV>

the gooch
07-23-2007, 19:36
Miami Florida
I am back in school at FIU (senior in Electrical Engineering)
My hobbies include sport bikes (see avatar) and mtn biking,
Been diving a little over a year now

bamamedic
07-23-2007, 21:28
Hi! I'm Rita, from Tuscaloosa, AL. No diving experience, except for an unofficial Discover Scuba course put on my one of my diving coworkers. I later got chewed out by another friend (a former NAUI instructor) for that one. "You mean you don't push the button to go up?" "Oops..."

Anyways, when I'm not lurking on web forums, I'm working my butt off as a paramedic.

I'm a fairly recent transplant from Homer/Anchorage, Alaska.

...and that's about it. I'm prety boring : )

PlatypusMan
07-23-2007, 22:01
DFW Texas
Jeweler and Watchmaker (semiretired)
Started with OW in 1982
I chase women until they catch me...then it appears that "catch and release" rules take effect.

Moxie
07-23-2007, 22:57
Hmmm lets see. From Vancouver BC, work with a grocery chain at head office in the food safety department, been diving since 2003. When I'm not diving, I enjoy traveling, softball, hiking andlounging!

TommyB
07-23-2007, 23:20
Born St. Augustine Fl.
Lived Houston 30 + year
(4 + years NAS Cecil Field, Jax Fla.)

Now Live in Allen, Tx (dallas) Last nine or so years
Own a WebHosting / Online Gaming Server Company

Moving to Orlando, in approx 2 weeks.
OW / Nitrox Cert
Some Golf during the weekdays (When not at ST pestering Joe and Greg).

Retired at 40 from the Corporate world to mess around , but now I work like 22 hrs a day :) Gamers, all they want is faster this, faster that :)

94GTStang
07-24-2007, 00:11
Born and raised in Oklahoma City...
I am an optometric technician. I graduated the University of OK and I am currently working on my second go round on trying to get into optometry school.
Other than poking eyeballs or diving, I've been into Mustangs (the cars) since before I could drive. I also enjoy traveling and spending time with my girlfriend. Oh, and I have been diving for two years but have always enjoyed being in the water since I was a kid.

Dive-aholic
07-24-2007, 03:17
Originally from NJ (haven't lived there since '89). Been in southern AZ since then. Didn't get certified until I was already in AZ, but have been diving regularly since (yes, even in the desert!). I'm a scuba instructor, cave and tech diver. Plan on getting my tech instructor rating once in Florida. Oh yeah...in 3 weeks I'll be moving to N. Florida, just 10 minutes away from water! I'm really looking forward to it.

I work as an ICU and ER nurse to support my addiction to diving. I'm hoping I'll be able to decrease my work hours and increase my diving hours once I'm in Florida. What else do I do? Hmmmmm, besides surfing a few different scuba diving boards, not much. Diving is what it's all about!

Kunk35
07-24-2007, 06:26
I recently ( a year ago ) became a Texan and live in the north Texas area. I've only been diving since last September, but I'm majorly hooked. Plan on getting the whole fam certified eventually.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I work for the best company in the U.S. to work for, called ABC Supply. I manage a branch that sells roofing, siding and other exterior buildning materials.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've been into astronomy, paintball, mountainbiking, and I spend alot of time on the computer and with my family. Nothing so far as hobbies compares to scuba though! And it's great to get into something that my wife and I can enjoy together! Very important these days....</DIV>

creggur
07-24-2007, 06:39
And it's great to get into something that my wife and I can enjoy together! Very important these days....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Same here. My wife and I are both pretty competitive, so golfing together didn't work, bicycling together didn't work, heck we can only play against each other on the Playstation for a limited time before things start getting too serioushttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Diving though, is something we can work on together and do as a team. We are going to start trying to add a little one to the mix next year, and hopefully continue diving as a family when he/she is old enough...</DIV>

mwhities
07-24-2007, 08:28
Brandon, MS
Systems Administrator II
OW+Nitrox SSI
Full time GAS!
BTW Scuba &gt; golf

Michael

dallasdivergirl
07-27-2007, 16:46
Grew up in Madill, OK (just north of the Texas border)
moved around OK for a few years
Got to Texas in 2000.
I can't believe the number of OU & OSU fans that live here!

I have been in construction for 5 years. Right now working for a general contractor.

I have been diving two years. Working on my advanced open water.

I will only date divers. Very important requirement.

In my free time I hang out with my dogs, read books, go skiing, ride my bike, run a little, and pretend to cook.

Illini_Fan
07-27-2007, 17:12
Like most, I'm a transplant to the DFW area (1998) -- still work for the same company that moved me down here, but in two weeks, I'll start my 6th different job with them since moving down here. Next up is IT Risk Management.

I started diving back in December as a prelude to my vacation to Australia. Figured if I was going to Australia, might as well go to the Great Barrier Reef and if I was going there, might as well learn to dive.

I travel a decent amount for work (30+ weeks a year), but when I'm home, I play racquetball, swim, read, plan dive and other vacations and enjoy my couch and my black lab that occupies the other cushion.

Illini_Fan
07-27-2007, 17:15
I herd cats for a living (aka supervise 45 college students in the bookstacks shelving area of the local university)....

Ahhhh, the Stacks. Nothing like cramming 8 million or so books into the smallest amount of space.

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 17:16
i was born and raised in brasil, i lived in sao paulo till i was 8, at which time we moved to miami florida.
i am a student a le cordon bleu college for cullinary arts, and love it.
i havent been diving for very long, but will dive for the rest of my life.
i have 3 birds. and hate my job :)

i really like these boards, good people, friendly people, linked to a great store.

Ajuva
07-27-2007, 17:34
:tenker:I am 41, born in Harrogate, North Yorkshire and have spent most of my life in Lockerbie(Yes, that one).

I am a school bursar and have been for 8 years,prior to that I was a mobile comms engineer.

Spent time in Virginia, Roanoke to be precise.

Love everything to do with the sea and qualified last year.

Have dove though since my late teens on a turn up, gear on, dive in basis.

Total board addict since finding ScubaToys.

My dealer Larry says I will be ok though as he has just what I need!!!!

lol

Black-Gorrilla
07-27-2007, 18:42
:tenker:

My dealer Larry says I will be ok though as he has just what I need!!!!

lol

lol, thats how it should be.

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 18:48
lived in Dallas pretty much my whole life, except 4 years in Seattle, now living in good ole Wylie,
Work-Corporate technical trainer
Diving-Certified this year, PADEI OW, am going for AOW before years end
Hobbies-Diving, Golf(not very good though)
Married 3 years, 3 kids. my avatar is my youngest

thesmoothdome
07-27-2007, 19:27
I'm an educator (out of the classroom for now) at a San Diego high school.
Originally from New Jersey, but moved out here in 1985.

I used to be a whole lot more active than I am now, but still enjoy skiing, mt. biking, running, and golf. I'm a HUGE New Orleans Saints fan. Oh, and I really enjoy sleeping. I just don't get enough of it during the school year.

I was originally certified in 1990 and somewhere between 1990 and 1992 earned a bunch more cards :smiley2:. I quit diving in 1996 for a variety of reasons, but decided that I missed it too much and started diving again this year.

I've been married since 1999 to a fantastic girl who, while not as passionate about it, will allow me to travel the world (as long as I take her) in pursuit of great diving.

georoc01
07-27-2007, 22:20
I work for an OIl and Gas Company in planning here in Colorado
I was certified this year, have AOW and 25 dives in so far!

Queen
07-27-2007, 22:23
I herd cats for a living (aka supervise 45 college students in the bookstacks shelving area of the local university)....

Ahhhh, the Stacks. Nothing like cramming 8 million or so books into the smallest amount of space.

I see you have a deep knowledge of the Stacks. :biggrinbounce2:

Illini_Fan
07-27-2007, 23:02

Never actually made it into the stacks -- it was grad students only (with certain exceptions) when I was there, if my memory serves me right.

Is the question board still up in the undergrad?

Queen
07-27-2007, 23:14

Never actually made it into the stacks -- it was grad students only (with certain exceptions) when I was there, if my memory serves me right.

Is the question board still up in the undergrad?
Yup. Some funny stuff there. :D