PDA

View Full Version : Wireless transmitter question

loudgonzo
12-11-2007, 10:05
I'm reading over several threads comparing the Atom 2, VT3, and the Epic and started thinking about the following.

Several users of these computers report having lost the link during the dive. These computers have the Buddy Pressure Check feature, meaning those transmitters have to have a greater range. Can/Will using the "buddy" transmitter on your own tank reduce the likelihood of losing the link?

RoadRacer1978
12-11-2007, 10:08
I've wondered if they have greater range, or you just have to be really close to your buddy to use the buddy check feature. Plus your own body is not blocking the link between the transmitter and computer with the buddy check feature on a buddies tank.

Mycroft
12-11-2007, 10:10
I found with my Aladin that I only ever had trouble with my own link once. And it turned out I had screwed up and mounted the transmitter wrong. I put the first stage on the tank upside down and was trying to transmit THRU the tank.

I think this is the biggest issue, is your line of sight from the computer to the transmitter passing thru any natural signal blocker?

RoadRacer1978
12-11-2007, 10:12
Thats the problem I have seen. A buddy was having problems losing the link. We moved his tank up just a bit and he never lost it again. Basically your body gets in the way.

loudgonzo
12-11-2007, 10:29
I don't see your buddy always being in a direct line of sight with the transmitter, he/she might be ahead/behind, lower/higher than you are, making the buddy air check useless unless your really close and the units are in line of sight, which at that point, you might as well just stop for a moment to check your gauges.

I'm trying to justify purchasing one of these units.

RoadRacer1978
12-11-2007, 10:37
I haven't heard from anyone that the "buddy check" transmitters are any more powerful. I think you just have to be close to get a reading. Maybe someone who has one and has actually used a seconday transmitter will chime in. I have wondered the same thing. The biggest reason I'd like the buddy check transmitter is to us on a pony bottle, instead of a small spg and if I got into carrying deco gas, use one on each deco bottle. It would be nice to have all my pressures from each tank in one place. But for safety sake, I guess you'd still want a small spg as a backup and maybe one more failire point would be looked down on. :( But that is why I like the idea and am saving up for the VT3. With the plans for extra transmitters down the road.

loudgonzo
12-11-2007, 10:50
But that is why I like the idea and am saving up for the VT3. With the plans for extra transmitters down the road.

This is the way I am doing it, if I go with one of these models, get the wrist unit now, and then saving up for the transmitter.

dly2k1
12-11-2007, 12:34
I just purchased the Aeris Elite T3 with transmitter (from ST of course), now I haven't had a chance to get it wet yet, but I threw my regs on a tank and fired it up. I was able to walk about 6-8 feet away from the tank (sitting on my living room floor) before the transmitter lost the link, then I simply moved back into range and it linked up again no problem. I got to say I was a little leary about buying this computer (seemed like a lot of bells and whistles) I even downloaded the manual off of the Aeris site (160 pages???), but man can I tell you, this computer is so easy to use (blows my Cobra out of the water) for ease of use and the trasmitter link was easy, all automatic I didn't have to do a thing. I am very pleased with it and I can't wait to get it wet!

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 13:01
I haven't heard from anyone that the "buddy check" transmitters are any more powerful. I think you just have to be close to get a reading. Maybe someone who has one and has actually used a seconday transmitter will chime in. I have wondered the same thing. The biggest reason I'd like the buddy check transmitter is to us on a pony bottle, instead of a small spg and if I got into carrying deco gas, use one on each deco bottle. It would be nice to have all my pressures from each tank in one place. But for safety sake, I guess you'd still want a small spg as a backup and maybe one more failire point would be looked down on. :( But that is why I like the idea and am saving up for the VT3. With the plans for extra transmitters down the road.

Thats a good idea for the pony bottles. I have a VT3 and if it looses link it is because my body is in the way. If I move the computer and in front of me it relinks immediately and not a problem. The transmitters are all the same just with different serial numbers that the computer keeps track of to know who is the primary diver and who is the buddy.

loudgonzo
12-11-2007, 15:01
Thats a good idea for the pony bottles. I have a VT3 and if it looses link it is because my body is in the way. If I move the computer and in front of me it relinks immediately and not a problem. The transmitters are all the same just with different serial numbers that the computer keeps track of to know who is the primary diver and who is the buddy.[/quote]

When it loses the link, what happens to the PSI reading and your air time remaining, does it go blank, or what indication does it show?

Puffer Fish
12-11-2007, 15:46
Ok, I actually have had two transmitters for some time now.. and while I own the scubapro unit, and it is the older one I can tell you what happens.

First, there are two issues... one is, as several have pointed out, you or your buddy's body getting in the way. The second is that the transmission is not completely 360 degrees. If you are on the wrong side of the valve (the valve is now in the way), on the screw in side of the sensor (the bottom of the sensor is in the way) or directly over the top (it does not seem to send very far out of the top of the sensor) you will loose connection.

However, it seems to transmit a bit farther underwater and my buddy only has to be off to my side and somewhat near me... or I get a blank reading.

My understanding of the new system is that it uses a higher frequency, and will transmit farther (around 50%), so 6 to 8 (with a clear side view) will now be 9 to 12.

Puffer Fish
12-11-2007, 15:47
Oh, and I forgot to mention that mine can take 3, and will get the third one eventually.

PsychDiver
12-11-2007, 21:01
Thats a good idea for the pony bottles. I have a VT3 and if it looses link it is because my body is in the way. If I move the computer and in front of me it relinks immediately and not a problem. The transmitters are all the same just with different serial numbers that the computer keeps track of to know who is the primary diver and who is the buddy.

When it loses the link, what happens to the PSI reading and your air time remaining, does it go blank, or what indication does it show?[/QUOTE]

It flashes link lost on the screen until it picks up the signal. We are talking about 3 or 4 seconds before it relinks so I haven't paid much attention to it. The relink is so quick that the fact that it lost the link is not an issue.

Cambria
12-11-2007, 23:37
How is the signal transmitted? Is it infra-red or radio?

abcitydiver
12-13-2007, 02:49
with a relatively new atom2 ..i am incapable of loosing the link between my wrist and the transmitter, I would either have to become "gumby" or have my arms lengthened...
My buddy's transmitter....about 10-12 feet...ive never not..gotten a reading when ive gone to look for their air ....
Then again, they've always been within the above range....
Great computer, simple to use, bells, whistles and then some when i want them to be there some day.

loudgonzo
12-13-2007, 07:52
Decided to go with the VT3, should have it in a day or so.

RoadRacer1978
12-13-2007, 14:07
Congrats. Let me know how you like it. Hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of VT3 owners someday soon. :)

cummings66
12-13-2007, 14:17
with a relatively new atom2 ..i am incapable of loosing the link between my wrist and the transmitter, I would either have to become "gumby" or have my arms lengthened...

I went a year before I lost link, turned out when I use the HP100 that I sometimes lose link because it's mounted lower to maintain my trim. Trust me, the link can be lost under the right conditions.

I love my VT3, but you've got to realize it's not infallible.

loudgonzo
12-13-2007, 14:37
Congrats. Let me know how you like it. Hopefully I'll be joining the ranks of VT3 owners someday soon. :)

Will do RoadRacer, UPS shows delivery for today, so I'll be up late reading the manual:smiley29: I'll take it to the pool in a few weeks to get familiar with it, and then off to PR for a day in the ocean next month.

Judge
12-18-2007, 10:38
I work in the automotive testing industry and we use telemetry with a lot of sensors. Our biggest issue is salt water ruining the transponder, how do these sending units hold up over a long term life? I would hate to have to replace the sender yearly.

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 23:14
I have about 150 dives on my VT3. Has run like a charm. Haven't even changed the battery yet. Only problem is the download software doesn't download the SAC rate.

abcitydiver
12-19-2007, 01:59
Matthew-
Thanks for the reminder :-)
No...not infallible, just working well so far....
its easy to sound overconfident and certain in type, and almost as easy to start to become so, so thank you!