PDA

View Full Version : Differences between strap-on thigh pockets

Z-naught
12-11-2007, 10:22
I'm considering the purchase of a thigh pocket for my BP/wing rig. I don't own a dry suit but I'd like to have a thigh pocket, so a strap-on thigh pocket seems like it might be a good idea for use with my wetsuit. However, I've read some negative comments about the Dive Rite thigh pocket (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/img/bc2761lg.jpg) regarding its tendency to rotate its position forward as one kicks, becoming something of a nuisance. Has that tendency been observed with the Oxycheq X-Pocket (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Oxycheq_X_Pocket) or the OMS Thigh Pocket (http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html)? Are there any other differences worthy of note? One thing about Oxycheq's X-Pocket that strikes me as interesting is the use of a single wide velcro and elastic strap to secure the pocket to the leg as opposed to having two elastic straps with buckles as the Dive Rite and OMS models do. Does anyone have experience with the X-Pocket or know if it stays put when diving?

det4220
12-11-2007, 10:55
You want to have the pocket ride as high up on the leg as possible, that is the key to keeping it in place and not have it rotate.

Usually I would say that a one strap model would do that better than a 2 strap model, but that Oxycheq looks like it has a really thick strap (just as thick as the 2 straps on the OMS). Also, with the OMS, just because it has 2 straps doesn't mean you have to use both of them, so that's the one I would go for.

Buckles vs. Velcro: Mostly user preference, but I find that velcro wears out faster. Fas-Tex buckles are strong. Both are replaceable, but since I don't sew, I would go with the Fas-Tex buckle so if it did break I could replace it.

MSilvia
12-11-2007, 11:33
Any particular reason you don't want to just permanently stick it to your wetsuit?

Z-naught
12-11-2007, 16:35
You want to have the pocket ride as high up on the leg as possible, that is the key to keeping it in place and not have it rotate.

Ah, that's good advice, thanks. I might pick up the OMS model then, as I like its construction better than the others.

Any particular reason you don't want to just permanently stick it to your wetsuit?

I tend to avoid modifying my gear in ways that aren't easily reversible, so gluing a pocket to my Pinnacle Polar semi-dry may not be the most elegant solution. I also wish to use it with several different wetsuits (warm water suit, cold water suit, etc.), so I thought that buying a single strap-on thigh pocket instead 2 or 3 sew-on/glue-on pockets would save me some money. These strap-on thigh pockets aren't very expensive, so I'll buy one, dive with it for a while, and then decide if a permanent pocket is a better idea. Ideally, of course, one would just order a custom drysuit with all the pockets desired, but I'm still saving my pennies.

Cheers

MissyB
12-11-2007, 18:58
hi,
in my very limited experience, two straps work better so things don't twist. Also, I like buckles that can be tightened easily even after going down many feet and compressing (I often have a 7mm on)...just a thought...
Marie

scubajane
12-11-2007, 20:33
tell me about using or not using a fanny pack as an extra pocket. Is it dorky or dangerous? what are the pros and cons?

Splitlip
12-11-2007, 21:06

I tend to avoid modifying my gear in ways that aren't easily reversible, so gluing a pocket to my Pinnacle Polar semi-dry may not be the most elegant solution. I also wish to use it with several different wetsuits (warm water suit, cold water suit, etc.), so I thought that buying a single strap-on thigh pocket instead 2 or 3 sew-on/glue-on pockets would save me some money.
Cheers

Have you ever considered "splitpants"

Z-naught
12-12-2007, 03:15
in my very limited experience, two straps work better so things don't twist. Also, I like buckles that can be tightened easily even after going down many feet and compressing (I often have a 7mm on)

Thanks for your input. I also dive a 7mm suit, so a two strap model seems to be a good choice.

Have you ever considered "splitpants"?

Interesting. Are they similar to X-Shorts? I haven't seriously considered X-Shorts due to their greater cost and bulkiness compared to the strap-on thigh pockets. However, I've read that some divers love them, so I think they're an option if a strap-on thigh pocket doesn't work out.

Splitlip
12-12-2007, 21:18
Actually, made my own.
2 pockets I had purchased cheaply a while back and a pair of lycra/neoprene shorts I sometimes wear under board shorts.

Z-naught
12-13-2007, 18:09
Actually, made my own.
2 pockets I had purchased cheaply a while back and a pair of lycra/neoprene shorts I sometimes wear under board shorts.

That's a creative solution. I'll keep that in mind. If all else fails, I can just make my own.

CompuDude
12-13-2007, 18:56
I have the DiveRite pocket. I agree the biggest issue is they tend to slide forward on your leg and not stay on the side... effects of gravity and suit compression. The elastic helps, but not enough.

X-Shorts (or a homemade version) are the best solution to the problem, short of permanent attachment. I use them when diving wet. I'd much rather have permanently attached pockets, however. You have to be prepared to pull the pockets off and attach to a new one every so often, however, since wetsuits have a limited life.

For a drysuit, however, which should last way longer than a wetsuit, I would attach the pockets in a (semi-) permanent fashion (aquaseal, etc) instead of messing around with over-shorts. It's far more secure and far more convenient. And it will only increase the resale value of the your suit a bit, as attached pockets are a desirable feature.

marchand
12-13-2007, 20:34
Just a suggestion for the thigh pockets with 2 straps. If you cross the straps (X instead of = ) you will be able to wear them higher up on your leg. This is what we do with tactical holsters to make the straps less invasive on the genitals.

Z-naught
12-14-2007, 11:14
Just a suggestion for the thigh pockets with 2 straps. If you cross the straps (X instead of = ) you will be able to wear them higher up on your leg. This is what we do with tactical holsters to make the straps less invasive on the genitals.

Wow, that's an ingenious idea. I'll definitely try that out when I start diving with the OMS thigh pocket. Thanks!

Z-naught
12-14-2007, 11:19
For a drysuit, however, which should last way longer than a wetsuit, I would attach the pockets in a (semi-) permanent fashion (aquaseal, etc) instead of messing around with over-shorts.

Acquiring a drysuit with thigh pockets is without a doubt the ideal solution, and I fully intend to buy one in the future. In fact, don't most drysuit manufacturers offer thigh pockets as an option, straight from the factory? If true, I'd simply order one with all the cool options and not mess with attaching the pockets myself.

MSilvia
12-14-2007, 11:22
In fact, don't most drysuit manufacturers offer thigh pockets as an option, straight from the factory? If true, I'd simply order one with all the cool options and not mess with attaching the pockets myself.
Yes, but in my experience, many of the factory pockets are terrible compared to the aftermarket pockets that are readily available for DIY (or LDS) installation.

CompuDude
12-14-2007, 11:56
In fact, don't most drysuit manufacturers offer thigh pockets as an option, straight from the factory? If true, I'd simply order one with all the cool options and not mess with attaching the pockets myself.
Yes, but in my experience, many of the factory pockets are terrible compared to the aftermarket pockets that are readily available for DIY (or LDS) installation.

I don't know that I would go that far, although I would guess you've seen more factory pockets than I have. DUIs pockets are quite nice, IMO... and Halcyon's pockets are obscenely expensive, although I'll grant they're nicer still. You definitely get a more finished end product, properly sewn one and sealed, going the factory route instead of the aquaseal route that invariable ends up with peeling corners after a time. (Yes, I'm aware that you can have a custom suit done with H pockets if you so desire, but yeouch, the cost!)

However, if you buy a used suit with no pockets, x-shorts or aquaseal is pretty much your only recourse, short of spending an obscene amount of money to have the pockets stitched and sealed after the fact.

BSea
12-14-2007, 12:13
I'm considering the purchase of a thigh pocket for my BP/wing rig. I don't own a dry suit but I'd like to have a thigh pocket, so a strap-on thigh pocket seems like it might be a good idea for use with my wetsuit. However, I've read some negative comments about the Dive Rite thigh pocket (http://www.diveriteexpress.com/bcs/img/bc2761lg.jpg) regarding its tendency to rotate its position forward as one kicks, becoming something of a nuisance. Has that tendency been observed with the Oxycheq X-Pocket (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Oxycheq_X_Pocket) or the OMS Thigh Pocket (http://www.omsdive.com/bc_access.html)? Are there any other differences worthy of note? One thing about Oxycheq's X-Pocket that strikes me as interesting is the use of a single wide velcro and elastic strap to secure the pocket to the leg as opposed to having two elastic straps with buckles as the Dive Rite and OMS models do. Does anyone have experience with the X-Pocket or know if it stays put when diving?
I just bought the Oxycheq X-Pocket. I chose it for the reason you mention, the single wide elastic band. I think it will be less hassle to put on & off.

For multiple exposure suits.

terrillja
12-14-2007, 12:32
I don't know that I would go that far, although I would guess you've seen more factory pockets than I have. DUIs pockets are quite nice, IMO... and Halcyon's pockets are obscenely expensive, although I'll grant they're nicer still. You definitely get a more finished end product, properly sewn one and sealed, going the factory route instead of the aquaseal route that invariable ends up with peeling corners after a time. (Yes, I'm aware that you can have a custom suit done with H pockets if you so desire, but yeouch, the cost!)

However, if you buy a used suit with no pockets, x-shorts or aquaseal is pretty much your only recourse, short of spending an obscene amount of money to have the pockets stitched and sealed after the fact.

BARE's factory pocket option is having your pockets attached with aquaseal. Then again my entire suit is NST (no stitch tech), so I might be unhappy if they then sewed in a pocket. Mine are on fine, no issues with the corners pulling up.

Z-naught
12-14-2007, 12:45
I just bought the Oxycheq X-Pocket. I chose it for the reason you mention, the single wide elastic band. I think it will be less hassle to put on & off.

Tell me how the X-Pocket performs, if you wouldn't mind. One giant strap may very well serve better than two.

CompuDude
12-14-2007, 13:30

BARE's factory pocket option is having your pockets attached with aquaseal. Then again my entire suit is NST (no stitch tech), so I might be unhappy if they then sewed in a pocket. Mine are on fine, or issues with the corners pulling up.

Yuck. Never mind! I had no idea Bare's factory pockets were merely aquasealed on. Pretty cruddy... I think my opinion of them just dropped a bit.

BSea
12-14-2007, 17:01

Tell me how the X-Pocket performs, if you wouldn't mind. One giant strap may very well serve better than two.
I haven't used it yet. I'll try it out later this month provided the weather is decent. But, just playing with it, it seems like it will work fine. The large elastic strap is very heavy with lots of velcrow. It should last a while.