PDA

View Full Version : cleaning SST knifes

Scubakraut
12-11-2007, 13:58
What do you do to protect your SS knife after cleaning it after your dives? Will WD40 prevent the next rusting on the next dive?

MSilvia
12-11-2007, 14:00
Given that the "WD" stands for "Water Displacement", it just might.

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 14:14
You can also use aluma-guard to polish it up first. I know it is aluminum cleaner... but we use it for our boat and it does a great job cleaning corrosion off and giving it a shine... then spray it with some WD.

No Misses
12-11-2007, 14:24
I used to dissassemble my old knife. Then clean and oil the whole thing. My new knife does not come apart. When I get home I rinse it under running water. Then, I let it soak for a couple of days in fresh water. This keeps o2 away and helps dissolve any salt deposits between the handle and blade/shank. On the 3rd day I take it out and set it on end to drain/dry.

P.S. on the 7th day I soak it in sea water and start the process all over again :-)

No Misses
12-11-2007, 14:27
You can also use aluma-guard to polish it up first. I know it is aluminum cleaner... but we use it for our boat and it does a great job cleaning corrosion off and giving it a shine... then spray it with some WD.

I am not sure what is in aluma-guard. But, it smells like the stuff that we used for lubing our M16's.

Scubakraut
12-11-2007, 14:38
I used to dissassemble my old knife. Then clean and oil the whole thing. My new knife does not come apart. When I get home I rinse it under running water. Then, I let it soak for a couple of days in fresh water. This keeps o2 away and helps dissolve any salt deposits between the handle and blade/shank. On the 3rd day I take it out and set it on end to drain/dry.

P.S. on the 7th day I soak it in sea water and start the process all over again :-)

So you don't lubricate it at all and keep the "rust" spots, I'm sure your rust spots dont just wash off.

adv_diver1
12-11-2007, 15:03
You can also get a product called "Salt Away" or "Salt Terminator". It mixes with water and can be sprayed on gear, cars, boats, fishing equipment, knives... anything and it disolves the salt immediately. Then you just rinse it under hot water and dry it off. Then use you wd.