PDA

View Full Version : Gekko or Veo180

dannybot
12-11-2007, 17:31
Need to get a new computer, noting fancy, which would you reccommend?

mitsuguy
12-12-2007, 09:52
Veo....

if you read many of the computer threads here, they are both good computers in terms of function, however, the Suunto uses a fairly conservative algorithm, whereas the Veo uses a modified neo-haldanean algorithm, which is not quite as conservative... Although the Veo is less conservative, it still gives YOU the option to be conservative or not, whereas the Suunto is always conservative, irregardless...

Other than that, they are both good units, probably going to buy the 180 for my wife...

Dive Master
12-17-2007, 14:48
I would definitely go with the Gecko.I bought a Oceanic Veo 180 from the other big mail order guys and it is an ABSOLUTE piece of JUNK !!!! They have replaced the computer 3 times in one year and there is no way I will dive with it again.The computer simply goes blank at about 60-65 feet.It eats batteries.My theory is this piece of junk cant handle cold water. I dive a cold mountain lake and if the water temp is below 60--the computer is going to die.I could believe the first VEO was a lemon--but 3 of them? The other guys dont offer a manufacteur's warranty and all they will do is supposedly fix the computer.This was my last purchase from them and my last Oceanic product.It might be ok for a 20 foot dive on the Keys but no way am I going to trust my life to this thing at 138 feet in the Mount Carmel Church Cemetery!!!If you want a VEO 180 I will sell you a supposedly new one real cheap.

divinginn
12-18-2007, 19:31
and i bought a veo 180 and have had 0 problems and couldnt be happier,they have discontinued that computer though.

divinginn
12-18-2007, 19:34
I will have to see how it does in cold water this winter so far i have dove it down to the 50s,just dont see how temp would affect a sealed unit like the computer.

Duckydiver
12-18-2007, 20:44
I've been using the Sunnto Gekko for the past year and really like it. Its easy to use and does both air and nitrox. It does everything want and nothing I don't.

keyshunter
12-19-2007, 06:05
I vote for the Gekko. I have about 400 dives on my Gekko and ~500 on my Viper. I usually carry both, and they have been absolutely trouble free.

Dive Master
12-19-2007, 09:02
I will have to see how it does in cold water this winter so far i have dove it down to the 50s,just dont see how temp would affect a sealed unit like the computer.

I dont either but my old Aqua Lung Matrix air computer works perfectly every time. I just change the batteries once a year.I used the Matrix in the lake all summer after the 3rd Veo 180 failed.The wierd thing with the Veo 180 is it will go blank at 60 feet or deeper (past the thermocline) and come back on at about 30 feet (warmer water) so thus my theory on it cant handle cold water.This happened with 3 Veo 180's --some brand new and with new batteries.As I said the three Oceanic Veo 180's I have owned do not work!!! I consider them just plain dangerous if you are really depending on this information.Just wanted to let everyone know my experience--glad yours has worked for you but I dont want anymore Oceanic products.

PsychDiver
12-19-2007, 09:36
I have a VT3 (Oceanic) and a Cobra2 (Suunto). Both have worked excellently. The customer service at Oceanic is good. If there is a problem they really try to correct it. Aqualung/Suunto products are excellent and you can't go wrong with them. If money is an issue and cant afford a higher level computer, go with the Gekko. Only because the Veo is reported to have some problems. Most Oceanic products are excellent.

dannybot
12-19-2007, 18:35
Thanks for all your input, we only dive warm, so my wife ordered herself the Veo, hope all goes well.

snilloconator
04-07-2008, 22:49
I would like to know the outcome? I'm also in the market and looking at both the exact same computers.

CompuDude
04-07-2008, 23:18
I'd go with Oceanic over Suunto in a heartbeat.

Suunto: Love their compass. Hate their computers.

keyshunter
04-08-2008, 07:27

I'd go with Suunto over Oceanic in a heartbeat.

Also, like the Suunto compass.

snilloconator
04-08-2008, 08:11
Sounds personal guys.... You're not helping me finalize my decision. LOL

harb99
04-08-2008, 08:54
Purchased a veo180 last summer - do a search and you should be able to find the thread - it was several pages long.

I have had no problems with mine, it is easy to use and easy to download from. I know the veo180 has been phased out, but they still have the 100 and 250. The 100 I do not think you can d/l the dives, but you can on the 250.

I am looking to get my wife a geo as she does not want the large wrist puck style. If she was OK with them, probably would already have her a 250.

Good luck with your decision.

Harb

CompuDude
04-08-2008, 13:14

Ok, to flesh out my opinion:

I really, really like to be able to think with my own head and make my own educated decisions. I really, really do not like when people or things try to make decisions for me and don't give me any options to make my own judgment calls.

Suunto's algorithm is incredibly conservative. Sometimes that's fine, other times it is not. Suunto gives you the option of INCREASING (:smiley29:) the conservatism, but no real legitimate option to loosen things a little.

Oceanic's algorithm's are widely regarded as very liberal. They have the option, however, to tighten them up and make them more conservative, if you're not feeling 100% for whatever reason. Or, of course, you could always simply surface earlier with time still left on the clock (as it were).

I prefer to have the choice. With Oceanic, the choice is mine. With Suunto, the choice is theirs.

They are both quality computers from quality companies. I don't care to have my options reduced, however, so Suunto is out of the running for me, as a general matter.

snilloconator
04-08-2008, 13:58

Ok, to flesh out my opinion:

I really, really like to be able to think with my own head and make my own educated decisions. I really, really do not like when people or things try to make decisions for me and don't give me any options to make my own judgment calls.

Suunto's algorithm is incredibly conservative. Sometimes that's fine, other times it is not. Suunto gives you the option of INCREASING (:smiley29:) the conservatism, but no real legitimate option to loosen things a little.

Oceanic's algorithm's are widely regarded as very liberal. They have the option, however, to tighten them up and make them more conservative, if you're not feeling 100% for whatever reason. Or, of course, you could always simply surface earlier with time still left on the clock (as it were).

I prefer to have the choice. With Oceanic, the choice is mine. With Suunto, the choice is theirs.

They are both quality computers from quality companies. I don't care to have my options reduced, however, so Suunto is out of the running for me, as a general matter.

Very well said! Thank you for your input compudude! This does help me lean towards the Oceanic vs. Suunto. Just sucks bad I was going to purchase it tonight at a local shop and they no longer carry Oceanic product... Missed it by like a week. Guess I'll have to keep shopping.

Thanks,
snilloc

beluga
04-08-2008, 14:51
Any reason not to consider the Mares M2 in this group?

CompuDude
04-08-2008, 15:34
Any reason not to consider the Mares M2 in this group?

IIRC, they pretty much use the same algorithm as the Suunto. So there's MY reason. ;)

FWIW, I don't dive with Suunto OR Oceanic, although I've used both on occasion. I dive with Uwatec, which actually splits the difference a bit as to liberal/conservative.

ChrisA
04-08-2008, 20:18

Sealed or not does not matter. The computer in in the cold water and the guts of the computer will soon be at the same tempurture as the surrounding water. My guess is that the LCD display fails and the computer itself works fine. You can test this be reading the dive profile. Did it record the entire dive, even the part when the LCD was blank? LCD displays are temperature sensitive

You could also test the computer in a refridgerator or freezer to see if it is effected by cold. Or maybe just get a bucket of ice water.

terrillja
04-08-2008, 20:30
I dive my Veo180nx from 80s to a min temp of 37, no problems, over 50 dives on the original batteries. My dad has the 250, and has never had any problems. I'd just avoid the 100 because it has no backlight, which sucks if you dive in dark water or do night dives.

ChrisA
04-08-2008, 20:31

I'd go with Suunto over Oceanic in a heartbeat.

Also, like the Suunto compass.

Oceanic computers are made by Pelagic Pressure Systems in California. If you like Oceanic there are a few other companies aeris and some others that you may want to check out. Pretty much all of those round "hockey puck" computers are made by Pelagic. If you donload the user manuals you can even find the wording of many paragraphs is the same.

CFDAlden
04-09-2008, 00:10
I like my Gekko, personally. We'll be buying another for the wife, after a trip to the Caribbean, and she saw how handy one could be. A simple mod makes it computer downloadable, which is a bonus.

keyshunter
04-09-2008, 06:31

Not at all. My opinion is based upon many, many dives with both Pelagic (Sherwood, Oceanic and USD Matrix), and Suunto computers. All are fine--when they work. My first criterion is reliability. Between '95 and 2000, we had 3 different, air-only Pelagic computers. Every one was returned for problems at least once. Air-only computers are simplest and should be most reliable. At that point, we switched to Suunto Favor, and later Vyper and Gekko. We still have a Favor, with about 300 dives, a Vyper with about 600 dives and One Gekko with about 500, and one Gekko with about 300. Not one moment's trouble with any of them. In addition, one dive resort which I have been to has all Sherwood in rental, EXCEPT the computers. They have had 20 Gekkos in year around service for over 2 years, with not one problem except battery changes.

Pelagic makes good computers, so does Suunto, Uwatec and Seiko. But, of the choices given by the OP, I would take Suunto every time.

Oh, there is a way to make a Suunto less conservative, but I will let the interested individual figure it out.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 14:29

Not at all. My opinion is based upon many, many dives with both Pelagic (Sherwood, Oceanic and USD Matrix), and Suunto computers. All are fine--when they work. My first criterion is reliability. Between '95 and 2000, we had 3 different, air-only Pelagic computers. Every one was returned for problems at least once. Air-only computers are simplest and should be most reliable. At that point, we switched to Suunto Favor, and later Vyper and Gekko. We still have a Favor, with about 300 dives, a Vyper with about 600 dives and One Gekko with about 500, and one Gekko with about 300. Not one moment's trouble with any of them. In addition, one dive resort which I have been to has all Sherwood in rental, EXCEPT the computers. They have had 20 Gekkos in year around service for over 2 years, with not one problem except battery changes.

Pelagic makes good computers, so does Suunto, Uwatec and Seiko. But, of the choices given by the OP, I would take Suunto every time.

Oh, there is a way to make a Suunto less conservative, but I will let the interested individual figure it out.

50% RGBM mode doesn't count. Still more conservative than the Oceanic and Uwatec computers.

fireflock
04-09-2008, 15:02

50% RGBM mode doesn't count. Still more conservative than the Oceanic and Uwatec computers.

I think he's referring to a different method, that applies to any Nitrox computer (think PO2). People do it. The user can decide for themselves if it's a good idea or not.

CompuDude
04-09-2008, 15:18

I think he's referring to a different method, that applies to any Nitrox computer (think PO2). People do it. The user can decide for themselves if it's a good idea or not.

Christ, I hope you're joking.

That's a Darwin award in the making.

fireflock
04-09-2008, 15:24
I wish I was.

terrillja
04-09-2008, 15:33
WOW, changing the PO2 to get more time. If you are honestly doing that so your computer doesn't lock up, it's time to get a new computer. That really is a darwin award in the making.

fireflock
04-09-2008, 16:19
To be fair, the folks I am thinking of go from 21 to 23 or so. I still don't think it's a bright idea in principle, but in practice I can think of a handful of common procedures that are probably more dangerous. Me...I would just put 23 in my tanks to get the same effect.

aprilgoddess1987
04-09-2008, 19:20
I use a gekko, I know alot of people dont like them because they are conservative but itsn't better to be safe than sorry

Athena2c
04-09-2008, 20:14
For the most part, I am very happy with my Gekko. It is more conservative than some, but I have never had an issue because of it.

snilloconator
04-10-2008, 04:59
Just purchased the Gekko! Now I can't wait to give it a go...

snilloconator
04-20-2008, 14:00
It's official! Went on my first ocean dive with the Gekko. I'm very new to the scuba world and the Gekko was a definite must. As far as others saying it's too conservative vs. other computers I say blah blah blah! If your the average joe looking to have some good times during your vacations/dives without the worries of D-tables then get the Gekko! It's great for those of us on a budget and it gets the job done. Also a + for those using nitrox. :smiley20:

terrillja
04-20-2008, 14:03
It's official! Went on my first ocean dive with the Gekko. I'm very new to the scuba world and the Gekko was a definite must. As far as others saying it's too conservative vs. other computers I say blah blah blah! If your the average joe looking to have some good times during your vacations/dives without the worries of D-tables then get the Gekko! It's great for those of us on a budget and it gets the job done. Also a + for those using nitrox. :smiley20:
The key is you did a dive with it. It's when you are doing repetitive dives that conservative vs liberal starts to become more apparent.

Glad you like it though.

CompuDude
04-20-2008, 16:27
The key is you did a dive with it. It's when you are doing repetitive dives that conservative vs liberal starts to become more apparent.

Glad you like it though.

Agreed. It's a good computer, but for the money, I would have gone with the Oceanic. It's not like they cost a ton more.

Nonetheless, it's a good computer, and I'm sure he'll get plenty of great diving fun with it. Especially if he never goes on a liveaboard or hardcore dive vacation with lots of repetitive diving.

snilloconator
04-20-2008, 17:14

Glad you like it though.

Actually it was a two tank day.... So a whopping two dives in the mornin'! The Gekko got the job done with out a hitch. I'm sure there are better comps but for now this one will do.

New diver + Gekko = Happy diver! :smiley2:

Although after exploring the great blue I'm hooked and the only thing holding me back from blowing my savings is the boss/wife. LOL

CFDAlden
04-21-2008, 00:44
Did you do the mod yet? :)

snilloconator
04-21-2008, 07:28
Did you do the mod yet? :)

No but I have ordered the cable! Also thank you for the reply.:smiley2:

CFDAlden
04-22-2008, 00:30
If you need any help, just PM me again, and I'll see what I can do for you. :)

NoTime58
04-22-2008, 07:23
I purchased the VEO 250 a few weeks ago....used it this past weekend in my pool to give it, and my new reg a checkout. I have enough air for one more dive today but I'm satisfied with the purchase so far. I won't have a chance to make multiple ocean dives till later this summer to give it a thorough checkout.