PDA

View Full Version : Communal Rinse Bucket For Your Mask

cummings66
07-23-2007, 19:14
Nope, in fact I don't even bother rinsing it until I get back to the room at night. It stays wet most of the time anyhow so it's not an issue, plus I dive fresh water and we don't have salt to contend with. Even then I'd just keep it wet.

94GTStang
07-24-2007, 00:23
I always get the luggies coming out of my nose when I come up. Though I just use the ocean as my rinse tank for my nose.

Judestudio
07-24-2007, 03:43
No, I don't, I'd rather let the mask fog!

We usually have a BBQ lunch on board, I saw some people washing their hands in the bucket smileys/smiley3.gif ...maybe they thought the oil helps defog too.

picxie
07-24-2007, 04:10
Well ok then. I guess you need more.
<DIV>Couple years ago I was on one of the local charters. We were going out for a couple 60 footers. Easy dives, nice day.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>After the first dive, one of the divers in another group surfaces with what looks like a couple of large green bloody amoebas in his mask. He pulls his mask off and proclaims that this happens all the time and he is used to it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As he is talking, one of the nasty globs slides out of the mask like a rotten oyster and slaps on the deck with a sound like the the monkey's hand hitting the transporter window in "The FLY".</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The guy quickly appologizes and rubs thesickening mass around with his foot. Then, you guessed it, hedips his mask in the rinse bucket so that the other offensive blob won't disturb anybody.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>When he swirled his mask in the bucket, it looked like a frog in a blender.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So now, I rinse my mask with the shower, a water bottle from my bag or even a cup of water from the keg on board. Or, of course, I wait until I splash.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>So for all you folks who proudly proclaimthat luggies make the best defog and then rinse in somebody's bucket, just remember that sombody may decide your regulator bag makes thebest urinalhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ewwww!! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I don't actually think I've seen a communal rinse bucket.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I just defog it with spray or drops, rinse in the ocean, then rinse in the ocean again when I get out.</DIV>

the gooch
07-24-2007, 08:09
Splitlip---I think I threw up a little in my mouth with that story.

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 08:52
Why do you need to rinse it? I don't rinse my BC between dives....

Spit in mask, rub it around, dip it quickly in water in which you will be diving. Put mask on. Dive. Repeat.

If you really need to rinse something, see if you can sneak water from the camera rinse bucket :)

cummings66
07-24-2007, 10:36
<DIV>I guess it is pretty much a boat dive thing</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Not the dive boats in the smaller lakes, they don't have rinse tanks. You might on the great lakes have that, but for our small day excursions we just wait till we get home or to the room or camp site.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I bring my own water for rinsing because I've had a reg freeflow due to all the silt buildup from not rinsing it until 4 or 5 hours later.</DIV>

cummings66
07-24-2007, 11:35
<DIV>They get real angry if you rinse a mask in the camera bucket. The solutions supposedly don't work well with o-rings.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The real reason is that the pure clean water gets contaminated with salt and that will cause the O rings to leak thus ruining an expensive camera. That's why they get so upset.</DIV>

TommyB
07-24-2007, 12:08
This is just way too much info--
Could have done without the "large green bloody amoebas in his mask" description..

That's just wrong---yuk--

tc_rain
07-24-2007, 13:09
Well I did use them but I will stop now. Never thought about these things.

picxie
07-24-2007, 14:31
<DIV>They get real angry if you rinse a mask in the camera bucket. The solutions supposedly don't work well with o-rings.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The real reason is that the pure clean water gets contaminated with salt and that will cause the O rings to leak thus ruining an expensive camera. That's why they get so upset.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Actually, now I do remember having a communal mask bucket. They had a seperate camera bucket too and told us that under no circumstances were we to wash our mask in the camera bucket. Because of the salt contamination.</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-24-2007, 15:33
I've used one before, but never again. It's easy to pack an extra bottled water.

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 17:09
Don't these people rinse their faces when they surface? That's generally the first thing I do once I break the surface... pop my mask off and blow my nose. All the "jellyfish" caught under there gets rinsed cleanly into the ocean. No need to rinse my mask once I get back on board.

Ditto for defogging. No loogies involved... just some pure spit. I jump in, defog at the surface and rinse in the water, and descend. I always thought of the mask rinse tanks as only for people who use commercial defog.

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 18:23
<div></div>
<div>They get real angry if you rinse a mask in the camera bucket. The solutions supposedly don't work well with o-rings.</div>

I know, and I would never rinse my mask in the camera bucket, becuase I know how much those cameras cost, as an avid above-water photographer myself. It was a joke, no need to get a splitlip about it smileys/smiley2.gif

TAH 73
07-24-2007, 18:49
No in the rinse bucket and no to spit in the mask as well.
<DIV></DIV>

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 18:55
Don't these people rinse their faces when they surface?

<div></div>
<div>I don't know...the guy WAS from California. (I swear)</div>
So am I.

Idiots seem to crawl out from under every dark rock in the country, no matter what state.

Splitlip
07-28-2007, 20:23
The orignal post I asked if anyone still used rinse buckets for their masks.

Couple years ago I was on one of the local charters. We were going out for a couple 60 footers. Easy dives, nice day.
After the first dive, one of the divers in another group surfaces with what looks like a couple of large green bloody amoebas in his mask. He pulls his mask off and proclaims that this happens all the time and he is used to it.
As he is talking, one of the nasty globs slides out of the mask like a rotten oyster and slaps on the deck with a sound like the the monkey's hand hitting the transporter window in "The FLY".
The guy quickly appologizes and rubs thesickening mass around with his foot. Then, you guessed it, hedips his mask in the rinse bucket so that the other offensive blob won't disturb anybody.
When he swirled his mask in the bucket, it looked like a frog in a blender.
So now, I rinse my mask with the shower, a water bottle from my bag or even a cup of water from the keg on board. Or, of course, I wait until I splash.
So for all you folks who proudly proclaimthat luggies make the best defog and then rinse in somebody's bucket, just remember that sombody may decide your regulator bag makes thebest urinalhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif.

Splitlip
03-21-2010, 10:24

Couple years ago I was on one of the local charters. We were going out for a couple 60 footers. Easy dives, nice day.
After the first dive, one of the divers in another group surfaces with what looks like a couple of large green bloody amoebas in his mask. He pulls his mask off and proclaims that this happens all the time and he is used to it.
As he is talking, one of the nasty globs slides out of the mask like a rotten oyster and slaps on the deck with a sound like the the monkey's hand hitting the transporter window in "The FLY".
The guy quickly appologizes and rubs thesickening mass around with his foot. Then, you guessed it, hedips his mask in the rinse bucket so that the other offensive blob won't disturb anybody.
So now, I rinse my mask with the shower, a water bottle from my bag or even a cup of water from the keg on board. Or, of course, I wait until I splash.
So for all you folks who proudly proclaimthat luggies make the best defog and then rinse in somebody's bucket, just remember that sombody may decide your regulator bag makes thebest urinalhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif.
. .

Trunk_Monkey
03-21-2010, 12:45

:smiley11::smiley11::smiley11::smiley11::smiley11:

Tom H
03-21-2010, 16:07
Think I noticed a bucket once on a boat. Have never and would never consider using it--and that's before reading about the amoeba. I just assumed it was for defogging prior to the dive, and that spit from many was in there. Why would you rinse anything off after or between dives?--you have to drive home or at least back to a shop to rinse all the gear anyway.

cutter77
03-22-2010, 01:33
Nope, never use the community mask bucket, or the community wetsuit rinse tanks. (el grosso!)

Spit in mask, rinse by swishing it over the side of the boat or with a little bottled water.

LeeParrish
03-28-2010, 16:28

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:, and now that you've described it in such eloquent words, I'll have a new bit of fun on my next boat dive, I'll watch the rinse bucket and see how nasty it gets. Frogs in blender...

RogerAg
03-28-2010, 18:56
Think I noticed a bucket once on a boat. Have never and would never consider using it--and that's before reading about the amoeba. I just assumed it was for defogging prior to the dive, and that spit from many was in there. Why would you rinse anything off after or between dives?--you have to drive home or at least back to a shop to rinse all the gear anyway.

I do a lot of boat diving, some of the dive boats spray Baby Shampoo or
Defog on the masks just before the next dive. You are suppose to rinse the mask in the water that the boat is sitting on, NOT the CAMERA WASH! But some people want to rinse in the CAMERA WASH because it is fresh water.

What the problem is; not that the masks have salt on them, it is because the defog or shampoo has SOAP on it. The SOAP removes the O-ring Grease that is put on the O-rings to help keep the seal.
Remove the Grease on the O-rings and they some times fail.
O-rings fail and the camera floods.
If I see someone rinse their mask in the Camera Wash I always take my camera out and announce to all that the Camera Wash has been contaminated with soap.