PDA

View Full Version : Frame vs Frameless masks

teog
12-12-2007, 18:33
I currently own a cressi sub framed mask. I would like to by a new mask and use the cressi as a back up. What is the advantages to the frameless masks? Im looking into the Mares Liquidskin or Atomics subframe.

Thanks

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 21:14
I have heard the Mares liquid skin is very comfortable and I have been considering it, but can't get away from the pano mask for some reason.

LCFrigon
12-13-2007, 03:26
I understand that frameless masks have no frames, but what are the advantages or disadvantages of frameless masks?

ReefHound
12-13-2007, 08:41
I tried a frameless a few years ago and that's all I've worn since. Clearly I am a fan so I'll give you the pros, can't think of any cons.

Light weight means feeling better on the face, in some cases less leaks.

Low volume means easier to clear, better field of vision since the lens is closer to your eyes.

Flexible structure allows it to pack tighter, I can get my mask and my computer and compass in mask box. Or tuck in a thigh pocket as a backup. Lack of frame means there isn't a frame to get broken.

I don't know what it has to do with frameless but every one I've tried has sealed on my face better than any framed mask I've had before. I don't even worry about 3 day stubble anymore.

LRDWILDER
12-13-2007, 09:06
I have both the Atomic Sub Framed and Frameless and although I always thought the frameless would annoy me I must say I LOVE the frameless....Its very comfortable and I never felt as though it has any more volume to clear then the framed, and I found after several days of several dives a day the framed would leave an imprint on the bridge of my nose even though I religiously equalize it...just my 2 cents :)

Mtrewyn
12-13-2007, 09:57
I really like the Atomic Sub frame, It is the most comfortable mask I found it was just hard for me to take the price tag, I'm on a tight budget, so I passed on it, but I think it will be my next mask parches, the price will have come down by then, it was well over $100 when I looked

ReefHound
12-13-2007, 10:19
Price tag, that's another thing I love about my frameless masks. You can spend big bucks for big names but I got all mine for under $35 each and they work great.

Clanggedin
12-13-2007, 11:09
I have an Atomic frameless and I love it. I think the biggest advantage that a sub frame has over the frameless is that you can get a different lens for each eye if you need to.

awap
12-14-2007, 12:00
One disadvantage with frameless is I have had 2 scubapro frameless fail due to seperation of tyhe skirt from the side of the lens. I still only dive frameless due to good FOV, fit, and comfort but I won't pay MSRP for the high $$$$ models. And all the good things seem to also come with the low $$ knockoffs.

ReefHound
12-14-2007, 13:11
Maybe the lesson is to avoid paying bigger dollars for name brands and go with the cheaper knock-offs, which have served me well for over 100 dives with no problems.

teog
12-14-2007, 16:03
Maybe the lesson is to avoid paying bigger dollars for name brands and go with the cheaper knock-offs, which have served me well for over 100 dives with no problems.

What are some knock offs?

awap
12-14-2007, 16:30
Scubamax offers a decent knockoff for around $30.

ReefHound
12-14-2007, 17:51
Yeah, Scubamax is one and H2O is another but being knockoffs kinda means there isn't a lot of name recognition. You won't tend to find them in your local dive shop. Just visit some online shops and search for frameless masks.

Dive Rite and Sherwood also slap their name on some cheap versions. Few name brands actually manufacture masks.

LCFrigon
12-15-2007, 03:26
Thanks everyone..your info has been very helpful!

SHAGGY
12-17-2007, 07:00
I would also strongly suggest trying on several different brands and different models. Several months back I was in the market for a new mask and I went over to ST and tried on just about every mask they had and in the end I wound up buying a totally different mask than what I went into the store wanting. I went in wanting one of the new Atomic masks but both models didnt fit me right and caused pressure on my forehead, which I could only imagine how it would have felt at depth. In the end, I chose the Mares Liquid Skin mask. No other mask fit "ME" as good as it did and the feel of that silicone is pretty sweet as well. I also wanted a black mask but the liquid dont come in black so I chose the nontransparent silver and I've been extremely pleased with mine.

teog
12-17-2007, 15:13
Yeah I tried the atomics of the weekend and didnt fit to good. Im going to look into the knock off soon

whitenoise
12-18-2007, 03:54
Initially I had the Atomic clear frameless, but it was getting increasingly on my nerves due to small leaks. I don't have the luxury of trying things in the pool before I buy them, so I bought the Atomic. Later I found out that I would get water slowly entering the mask all the time. Frankly I had enough.

Bring on the LiquidSkin! A bit different since its got a silver skirt but so far no leaks! An added benefit is that I find it much easier to clear, compared to the Atomic. I was always finding that I had to clear the Atomic a few times to get rid of that last bit. More testing is required, but it looks like that the Atomic is going to be a backup from now on.

azdiver
12-18-2007, 17:44
alot of the different companies actually buy there products from the same manufacturer... the only difference being what name is put on it in the end.

AUTiger
12-19-2007, 00:52
I loved my Atomic frameless - until the ocean stole it from me. I guess King Neptune wanted it.

I replaced it with an Atomic ARC (Anti-reflective coating sub-frame) and it also fits very well.

David

davieeeee
12-19-2007, 03:50
another thumbs of for frameless here ( i have a Tusa though)

PsychDiver
12-19-2007, 09:21
I use a hydroOptix mask for the vision correction and field of vision. If not I think I would go frameless.