PDA

View Full Version : Would you sell artifacts recovered from a wreck?

LRDWILDER
12-12-2007, 21:08
I was look reading online and looking around earlier today and to my surprise found people selling artifacts from the Andrea Doria. Specifically Gary Gentile who made huge advancements to the wreck diving community selling artifacts recovered from the doria. I am not really sure how I feel about this, I'm sure its his right, but it seems to me to almost minimalize those people who have lost their lives on the wreck (diving) as most of these people only died chasing the china....sad though that sounds.....more importantly what do you all think about this practice?

adv_diver1
12-12-2007, 21:24
When I collect artifacts or fossils on local river dives, I keep them for my personal collection or give them to people who are really interested, otherwise I leave them at the botton of the river.

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
12-12-2007, 22:14
At thrwe right price I'd sell just about anything. I have no problem whatsoever with someone selling artifcats that belong to him.

adv_diver1
12-13-2007, 05:34
I have no problem with selling artifacts either... I just don't have the time to do it... not to mention I don't have enough to sell.

I am going to trade a really nice Megaladon tooth for a half day fishing charter though - Captain's Kid really wants one and he said they cost several hundred bucks.

WV Diver
12-13-2007, 05:43
There are several schools of thought on this subject. All having valid points legally and morally. In the end, barring any governing body, I believe it must be left to the individual who has recovered the artifacts to make a decision based on what they believe is the right thing to do.

I know this is a wishy, washy kind of an answer but having discussed this in some detail over the years and on many threads I don't know that there is one correct answer.

RoadRacer1978
12-13-2007, 07:08
There are several schools of thought on this subject. All having valid points legally and morally. In the end, barring any governing body, I believe it must be left to the individual who has recovered the artifacts to make a decision based on what they believe is the right thing to do.

I know this is a wishy, washy kind of an answer but having discussed this in some detail over the years and on many threads I don't know that there is one correct answer.

That sums up my respose to this question pretty well.

LRDWILDER
12-13-2007, 07:28
Hey WV Diver, Road Racer78, thanks for your comments, Yeah I understand its the owners decision, I think I'm more looking for peoples thoughts on if they would actually do it...Could YOU part with something that YOU found, or worked so hard for, or others died trying to get?

WV Diver
12-13-2007, 08:34
I would be much more likely to display Andrea Doria stuff in my home or donate it to a maritime museum than to sell such artifacts. I believe it would be best to share and admire them than to leave them on the ocean floor to degrade.

Although I can definitely see the sacred burial argument but if people are diving it anyway why not share the experience. In some ways having the articles where they can be viewed can give some folks closer, others will hve nothing to do with it.

SkuaSeptember
12-13-2007, 08:45
The few things I've found, I've kept or given duplicates to friends. If I were in the position to subsidize my habit by selling some finds, I certainly would.
As to wether or not this practice trivializes the loss of those who have died or been injured in the pursuit, I don't think there would be any question if the community itself weren't so small.
Gold, diamond and coal miners etc. die world wide in pursuit of commercial riches. Archeologists,astronauts,explorers and researchers have perished in the pursuit of knowledge. Athletes and sportsman of all kinds have perished while pushing the envelope or by just making an unlucky decision. Many of us benefit on a daily basis from these activities with no moral angst. Why sweat about a teacup or a plate?

wheelman
12-13-2007, 08:46
I guess it would depend on what it was... I might be inclined to donate to a museum if one existed for the objects. I don't have any issues with people or myself selling artifacts they have collected.

mike_s
12-13-2007, 08:52
Also, I think it would depend on what wreck it came off of, how the article was obtained.

For example, if it came off a sunken Civil War battleship that was a war grave, I'd have a big problem with people selling stuff off it. (However, most of these wrecks are protected by the government anyway).

Or, if they had to use cutting tools to remove the item from the wreck, then to me that is different than picking up dishes in the sand/silt also. However, I think everyone would love to find a ships bell on a virgin wreck that they could easily remove and put on their mantle. So you have to look at both sides here...

Just some thoughts... doesn't mean I'm right or wrong...

RoadRacer1978
12-13-2007, 13:42
For the right price I would probably sell an artifact I had found. Until then I would proudly display it at my house. I don't think I would actively seek out a buyer or put an artifact up for sell, but I can't see me holding onto something, unless for sme reason it has a lot of sentimental value to me, if the price offered was a good one.

WaScubaDude
12-13-2007, 13:52
My thought is that if it is loose, like China or Gold coin etc fine, if it's not a protected site. Just no wrenches, prybars, or hammers.
Silt lifting suction tube, now that's a tougher call.

in_cavediver
12-13-2007, 17:13
Personally, I have an issue with 'stripping' wrecks in freshwater (great lakes) where degradation is a very slow process. Saltwater - recover them or they will fall apart.

As for selling them, its up to the rightful owner, which may or may not be the diver who brought them up.

Clanggedin
12-20-2007, 17:00
If the artifact is of significant historical and/or archaeological importance, then it should only be sold to those who will give it proper display in a museum or of that sort... I'm not sure it if should be sold at all, but donated.

If the artifact is not important, then sell it to someone who will enjoy it.

RECDiver
12-20-2007, 18:28
The few artifacts that I have gotten from wrecks I have kept for myself.

morrberg
12-24-2007, 18:44
Nope, i wouldnt, besides i would never recover an artifact from a wreck.

Goober
12-25-2007, 15:37
It would depend. If it had some significant sentimental then no. If it was just a trinkit and someone offered a price that would be foolish to turn down...I probably do some more research on it before I decided:smiley9:

kancho
01-07-2008, 07:30
If I was a treasure hunter.. Yeah I would sell it. Since that is a perfectly good living. If he located the ship and brings an item up, by international law, he has the right barring some governmental right to the ship/artifact. There is nothing wrong with it. For instance If you find an really old coin on the street.. Will you not get it appraised. What will you do with it if you are not a collector. You will not throw it back on the street, most likely you will sell it.

RECDiver
01-07-2008, 21:01
The artifacts I have found, I have kept, but I don't think anybody would buy any of them anyway. However, if I had china from the Andria Doria, I might sell some, but would keep the best for myself.

cummings66
01-11-2008, 16:30
I think I would be able to sell artifacts with a clear conscious. As long as the item is mine legally I would have no problem selling it I guess is what I'd say.

Stripping a wreck, well, to be honest I'm not a sentimental type person. As long as it's legal I don't think I'd care much about it one way or another. I don't think I'd strip a wreck myself but I don't believe I'd judge you if you did so, assuming you had the legal right to do so.

It's kind of like, ask me when I'm in the position and we'll see how I react then.