PDA

View Full Version : water temps philipines?

mudshark
12-13-2007, 03:37
looks like I might be going to Philipines in early-mid Feb for 10 days or so in Puerto Galero and Coron. What water temperatures can I expect, i.e. what mil suit will I need to pack?

Also is there any way of getting to the Philipines without the +2 days air travel? I've flown to Asia several times before but it's been only +1 day.

Thanks.

chip104
12-14-2007, 21:33
expect temps in the mid 20s-low 30s (celsius) range. It's a great time to dive the PI during that time. Question is: do you get cold easily? If not, 3mm is plenty enough - most of the time I dive over there in just my beach shorts. It's a great feeling (until the zooplankton begin biting! :D). Some people get cold easily and need a hoodie with 3mm.

Have fun in Coron, great wreck diving there. And PG...always a great time there.

From the west coast, the only direct flights I'm familiar with is Philippine Airlines from LA - Manila or San Fran - Manila. From the east coast i only know Cathay's NY - HK, HK - Manila. My usual travel time is 18 hours from the west coast, just over 24 hours from the east.

Have fun and enjoy your travels!

scubamike
12-15-2007, 17:39
I would wear a 5mm. IF you are doing 1 dive a 3mm is ok. But there are some thermal areas were water was just too cold.

5mm is perfect and a hood. The water temp was in the low 80 (81F)

Asiadiver
12-17-2007, 15:09
Not much you can do about crossing the international date line, its going to +1 day anyway you look at it. About all you can control will be the connection times. Generally the cheaper the airfare the greater the number of stops and/or connection time. That's just the way it is.

I normally dive there myself in Feb and Mar, I always get by with a 3/2 mil suit. Never wore a hood in my life anywhere in Asia.

pav
01-10-2008, 08:35
I will be diving in Puerto Galera with Action Divers the last 3 days of January. They suggested a 3mil full suit with a 3mil hooded vest for this time of year. I'm going to heed their suggestion. If I get a chance I'll try to put a post up here about my experience in PG right after I finish up there.

I would also suggest staying at the Portofino. This will be my 3rd time staying with them...I was very satisfied with them. They are generally considered to be the best hotel in the Sabang-Puerto Galera area. They are also giving me a package rate for staying with them and diving with Action Divers - saved me some money. They arranged it all through email.

Portofino Beach Resort, Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, Philippines (http://www.portofino.com.ph/)
Dive Puerto Galera, Dive Philippines, Dive Action Divers (http://www.actiondivers.com/)

I can't wait to leave for the PI. This will be my first time diving in PG since "Discover Scuba" in Dec 06...back to where the scuba bug bit me.

Can anyone recommend a dive shop on Panglao Island, Bohol at Alona Beach? I'll also be going there for a few days.

h2odragon1
01-10-2008, 11:11
My wife and I are going to be in Cebu Feb. 9-15. We will be bringing our 3mm suits. Check with your airline most airlines allow 70 lbs per bag not the 50 lbs limit for other flights to other destinations. The full equiptment rental per dive is not all that much, $5-$7 if you want to leave anything at home,(or the airline 'looses' it).
You can't go wrong diving in the Philippines:smiley20::smiley20:

gbrdiver
01-10-2008, 18:57
I used a full 3mm suit in PG Feb last year and it was fine...except for one dive when we hit a cool current. Temp dropped about 3 deg but felt really cold and made te rest of the dive uncomfortable.