PDA

View Full Version : Getting my Canon G9 today!

CARDIVER
12-13-2007, 10:00
Does anyone have any tips for my first time out with the Canon G9? I'm getting it via UPS today and am planning on diving it tonight.

NitroWill
12-13-2007, 10:08
Well, when you first get it familiarize yourself with as many of the functions as you can of the camera. Especially know how to set white balance, focus, etc. Just play around with it because if you don't know the camera topside - it can waste your time underwater.

Then for the first dive I would say just have fun - get close, shoot up, and take a lot of shots! You will have a lot to learn but with practice will continually improve every dive!

thor
12-13-2007, 14:18
Sweet. I got mine a couple of months ago, but haven't dived with it yet. The screen is a thing of beauty. The camera itself is a little slippery to grip, but shouldn't be an issue in a housing. Bring an extra battery, as the battery life is not that great. Report back.

CARDIVER
12-13-2007, 16:50
Thanks for the info on the battery. I'm going from the Casio EX-Z1000 that I've really liked. It has given me many excellent photos and I'm looking forward to the better macro capabilities of the Canon. he big difference that I've noticed so far is that the housing is HUGE compared to the Casio. That will take some getting used to.

Easydiver
12-15-2007, 18:26
I've recently purchased a G9 with an Ikelite housing with dual DS-125 strobes.
I just got back from its inaugural dive trip to Quadra Island near Vancouver, BC. I took 600 pics over 4 days of diving.
No battery problems noted but I was using external strobes. System performed flawlessly. I also used the modeling lights on the strobes nearly every dive and still only got down to 1/2 power at the end of the day.
I used the AV (aperture mode) and bracketed the exposure with the F-stop and set the strobes to TTL. It seemed to work well. I've been out of SLR photos for a while so I didn't try any full manual shots. That will be for later when I'm more proficient.
I also shot several videos using the strobe's modeling lights and they came out very nice--they're a little low powered for video so I had to be fairly close for good color saturation.
Good luck and keep us posted.