PDA

View Full Version : 2 Computers 2 transmitters?

dulinor
12-13-2007, 10:18
Just got back from a dive trip to Cozumel. VT3 worked well, although did one dive where it couldn't find my transmitter (time for a new battery I guess.)

My usual dive buddy is about ready to get her own computer, was impressed with the setup. I know I can put a transmitter on her reg and do a buddy check (how we do it now.) What I'm wondering is if I we get a 2nd Oceanic computer (Atom 2 or VT3) can we set it up with the existing two transmitters so we can each buddy check the other? E.g. are the transmitters able to link to two computers simultaneously?

Also, she seems to prefer console mounted stuff, but also likes the wireless - is there such a beast or should we just take a VT3 and move the unit into a console?

Thanks.

marchand
12-13-2007, 21:35
Of course. The transmitters do not actually "link" to a computer. All they do is emit a signal that basically says, "I'm transmitter #XXXXXXX this is what is going on." It is the computers job to weed out the specific transmitter to read.

CompuDude
12-13-2007, 23:55
Just got back from a dive trip to Cozumel. VT3 worked well, although did one dive where it couldn't find my transmitter (time for a new battery I guess.)

My usual dive buddy is about ready to get her own computer, was impressed with the setup. I know I can put a transmitter on her reg and do a buddy check (how we do it now.) What I'm wondering is if I we get a 2nd Oceanic computer (Atom 2 or VT3) can we set it up with the existing two transmitters so we can each buddy check the other? E.g. are the transmitters able to link to two computers simultaneously?

Also, she seems to prefer console mounted stuff, but also likes the wireless - is there such a beast or should we just take a VT3 and move the unit into a console?

Thanks.

Think about it. If you are buddy checking your buddy, your computer is linked to both your transmitter and her. And her transmitter is linked to both your computer and her own, of course. So clearly they can maintain multiple connections.

As for console vs. wrist... well, has she ever tried wrist mount? Everyone I know who has tried wrist mount has ended up preferring it, with the exception of lobster hunters who need to keep their arms clear to shove under rocks. I think once she tries it, she'll like it... her love of console is likely mere habit, and she'll soon grow to love the wrist units.

That said, the puck-style computers (some of which are AI) can generally be installed either in a wrist mount or a console, so that style should be able to do both.

If you're buying from ScubaToys, a call to the shop will definitely clear up any questions you may have.

dulinor
12-14-2007, 09:41
Thanks - seemed highly likely that it would work, but didn't want to just assume.

CompuDude - I think you're right about the wrist mount long term, but wanted to make sure we could satisfy the preference for now.

PsychDiver
12-19-2007, 09:44
This type of linking is exactly what the buddy system transmitters are for. It will work. Their is a hose mount adapter for them if she wants it console style.

DiverJoe
02-13-2008, 16:07
just remember that the transmitters have a range limit (obviously) and the weaker the batteries, the lower the transmit range. You should'nt have any problems though. Also, you can use the VT3, the Atom 2.0 or the DataMask. If your friend has the dough, and does not like the wrist-mount, the DataMask is great, it does not however display 2+ units:smiley13:

Safe Diving

DiverJoe