PDA

View Full Version : Weights for camera?

TRACI
12-13-2007, 14:43
Do I need to get the weights with a camera housing ?

FOUNDATIONER
12-13-2007, 16:01
Still camera, probably not.
Video camera, probably. I hang a little weight on my
video cam, just enough to leave it a little positive.
I like it to hang "up" when retained by the lanyard and
if I have to let it go, I know it will go to the surface.

FishFood
12-13-2007, 17:20
I wouldn't get "THE WEIGHTS". If you need weight, small lead pellets from the fishing department work great, are cheap, and come in different sizes.

CompuDude
12-13-2007, 18:46
I hate floaty cameras. They have a habit of floating up in inconvenient places. They also make it impossible to set a camera down and expect it to stay where you put it.

A little weight, just barely negative, is pretty ideal, IMO.

This is generally only a problem with smaller P&S camera. Bigger rigs have a nasty habit of being so negative you have to add flotation to the rigs, just make them easier to manage without your arms getting tired.

Manuf. housing weights tend to be pretty pricey, although they deliver the cleanest solution. You can save a few bucks by just getting a little bolt sized to fit the tripod mount hole and some heavy washers or other little slabs of steel for weight.

WAHMof2
01-27-2008, 10:35
We were thinking of using those stick-on wheel weights like they use to balance aluminum wheels. Anyone tried that?

Aspendiver
01-27-2008, 12:44
No, but sounds like a great idea. Inside or out of the case?

WAHMof2
01-27-2008, 17:42

I sure wouldn't think it would matter. The hubby says the adhesive is super strong, so it's not like they would fall off if you put them on the outside. They'll stay on an aluminum wheel going 150mph :smiley2:

CompuDude
02-01-2008, 17:51

I sure wouldn't think it would matter. The hubby says the adhesive is super strong, so it's not like they would fall off if you put them on the outside. They'll stay on an aluminum wheel going 150mph :smiley2:

Perhaps, but how waterproof is the seal? Lots of "strong connections" I've seen may be strong, but not when you soak them in salt water and move them around for hours on end.

RoyN
02-03-2008, 20:56
If you add a tray that is made out of metal like Ultra light's arm and tray, then you probably won't need a weight metal for it.

fisheater
02-03-2008, 21:04
Why not try it out in water and check its buoyancy?