PDA

View Full Version : MLB Scandal

mm_dm
12-13-2007, 16:12
Andy Petitte took steroids? What was he before he took them, a woman?

plot
12-13-2007, 16:29
Players linked to Radomski:
Lenny Dykstra
Larry Bigbie
David Segui
Brian Roberts
Jack Cust
Tim Laker
Josias Manzanillo
Todd Hundley
Mark Carreon
Hal Morris
Matt Franco
Rondell White
Roger Clemens
Andy Pettitte
Chuck Knoblauch
Jason Grimsley
Gregg Zaun
David Justice
F.P. Santangelo
Glenallen Hill
Mo Vaughn
Denny Neagle
Ron Villone
Ryan Franklin
Chris Donnels
Todd Williams
Phil Hiatt
Todd Pratt
Kevin Young
Cody McKay
Mike Lansing
Kent Mercker
Adam Piatt
Miguel Tejada
Jason Christiansen
Mike Stanton
Stephen Randolph
Jerry Hairston, Jr.
Paul Lo Duca
Adam Riggs
Bart Miadich
Fernando Vina
Kevin Brown
Eric Gagné
Mike Bell
Matt Herges
Gary Bennett, Jr.
Jim Parque
Brendan Donnelly
Chad Allen
Jeff Williams
Howie Clark
Nook Logan

Other players:
Current major league players Rick Ankiel, Paul Byrd, Jay Gibbons, Troy Glaus, Jose Guillen, Jerry Hairston, Jr., Gary Matthews, Jr., and Scott Schoeneweis, and former players David Bell, Jose Canseco, Jason Grimsley, Darren Holmes, John Rocker, Ismael Valdez, Matt Williams, and Steve Woodard.

Alot of these guys are still active players, Tejada was just apart of that big trade, him for 5 other players... and it looks like alot of them were at the end of their careers (either by age or injury) when they started juicin.

And those are the guys linked to one dealer... just the tip of the iceburg. I wonder what will come of it all.

Also, most (if not all) of them can be linked to new york...

wheelman
12-13-2007, 18:15
I think it is just sad...
a) they think they needed to do it
b) the league knew and did nothing

teog
12-14-2007, 08:26
Its pathetic that anyone in a players capacity to have to take steriods. These guys make great money and are role models for so many of the youth.

FishFood
12-14-2007, 15:13
Am I the only one that doesn't care? So they took steriods, big deal.

MSilvia
12-14-2007, 15:30
Nope... I don't care either. In fact, there's a part of me that would like to see some professional sports played without any of those regulations. I'd like to see some genetically modified, jacked up, bionic super athletes with titanium bone replacements and steroid-enhanced supplimental muscle grafts compete against each other. Like you wouldn't watch a game where someone could hit a 172 mph fastball halfway to the moon, or drop a 478 lb. wide receiver who can run the 50 in 2.6 seconds.

That's just good entertainment.

mm_dm
12-14-2007, 16:24
I really don't care either. I thought it odd that Andy Petitte's name showed up on the list. He's not exactly an over-bearing physical specimen. It was kind of like hearing that Bob Denver had to take steroids to play Gilligan.

wheelman
12-14-2007, 17:02
Not all steriods are taken to 'beef up' some are taken to speed up muscle repair / injuries.

mm_dm
12-14-2007, 20:01
Yes, and the nasal spray I use to combat allergies has a steroid in it as well. But, in professional sports I doubt that healing injuries is the first concern.

Tableleg
12-14-2007, 20:39
Am I the only one that doesn't care? Nope, I don't care either. I'm more impressed they can hit that ball moving at 80mph on the juice or not. :smiley36:

FishFood
12-14-2007, 20:41
Am I the only one that doesn't care? Nope, I don't care either. I'm more impressed they can hit that ball moving at 80mph on the juice or not. :smiley36:

Hahaha! True Dat. The only way Id get on first is to step in front of the ball :smiley9:

PsychDiver
12-14-2007, 21:53
I am totally against steroid use in sports. It is not a true picture of their abilities. All records by steriod users should be stripped. It is not just the problems the athlete has from steriod use but also how it affects behavior in general causing periods of intense anger in some athletes that have lead to domestic violence and the possibility of defects in future children. Don't just think that the athelte is the only one is harmed by this practice.

Bigg_Budd
12-16-2007, 06:14
Its pathetic that anyone in a players capacity to have to take steriods. These guys make great money and are role models for so many of the youth.

News flash, hot shot: Just about every pro athlete is on some sort of performance enhancing drug. It's been this way for decades, and will continue to be this way. Even in the NFL, you have to fail the drug test three separate times before they suspend you...

I could care less, especially in the case of MLB. The league knew about it, and some would say, endorsed it. I don't know why they insist of performing this investigation. If it wasn't against league regulations, then why implicate all these players now? It's going to ruin the sport for years.

Oh well. I hated baseball anyway...

snagel
12-16-2007, 08:34
For me, baseball ended in 1994 with the player strike. Just never got back into it after that. Not sure why - is it that I just can't stand to see millionaires cry about money and how they are treated. Not sure I really care even about this. Go ahead juice up, kill yourself, ruin your family and personal life, you still won't get another penny out of me. My only issue is with my 13 year old. He really doesn't care about professional baseball either (thinks it's boring to watch), but does love to play it. He is more in-tune with professional football players and "pro" wrestling. He likes the big aggresive players (Linebackers). I'm sure there is a little juicing going on in these sports also. Does this have an effect on my son? I would like to believe that he is smarter than that, but at his age he doesn't comprehend what these drugs do to the body (he is still trying to wrap his hands around algebra). He just see's the immediate outcome of a linebacker crushing a running back. Could he at some point in his life be faced with the decision and think hey the professionals do it and look at them; so I must do it also - maybe. Who knows, but trying to pin this decision on the professional sports figures is a little far fetched also. They didn't sign up for that although many believe they did. In the end, it's my son's decision, I just hope I've taught him well enough to make that decision correctly.

S. Nagel

mm_dm
12-16-2007, 10:41
I've coached basketball with middle school and high school aged boys and we did find that some of them were juicing. Unfortunately, your son will probably be presented with the opportunity. Fortunately, he has you for a father.

cgvmer
12-16-2007, 11:02
My son swims Div 1 in college, he has been competitive swimming since he was 7 he has over the years suspected other swimmers of using steroids, I showed him some of the results of steroid use. (ie ruptured muscles etc) and now that he is in Missouri, I can only hope this stuck with him.

Now I have to make my 14 yr old son and 10yr old daughter, they both are on swim teams, but my son also plays football in HS which is the environment that worries me.

The damage they can do at this age, both physically and pyschologically is huge.

As for pros, there are legitimate short term use for steroids, but since they obviously can't be trusted to stick to those limited uses they are banned and that is just the cost of entry into the profession.

Matt P
12-16-2007, 14:40
The reason I care is that it is cheating. It creates an unfair advantage for those players who are straight shooters and playing by the book. MSilva's got a point. Super-human players would be really entertaining. And, if a given subset of players is willing to take the risks associated with steroids or other enhancements then go for it. But, place them in another league. Maybe...

Bionic League Baseball, or
Cybor League Baseball

Navy OnStar
12-16-2007, 19:06

You don't care now, but wait until your kid wants to play (name your sport) and starts taking the stuff. How will you feel then? I would like to think talking to my kids about the dangers will be enough but their competetive nature is high. I don't want them to have to make the decision. If professional athletes weren't role models to so many young kids who now think they have to be on steroids to be competetive, I wouldn't care either.

FishFood
12-16-2007, 19:23

You don't care now, but wait until your kid wants to play (name your sport) and starts taking the stuff. How will you feel then? I would like to think talking to my kids about the dangers will be enough but their competetive nature is high. I don't want them to have to make the decision. If professional athletes weren't role models to so many young kids who now think they have to be on steroids to be competetive, I wouldn't care either.

Steriods are safe when not abused, and over 18. (better yet over 21) THis thread is not about minors and steriods, it's about profesional athletes.

My kids wouldnt dare do something stupid as ruin there body. Education, discipline, and threats of bodily harm would take care of that :smiley2:

Navy OnStar
12-16-2007, 20:09
Steriods are safe when not abused, and over 18. (better yet over 21) THis thread is not about minors and steriods, it's about profesional athletes.

My kids wouldnt dare do something stupid as ruin there body. Education, discipline, and threats of bodily harm would take care of that :smiley2:

The two are not seperable because professional athletes are role models. Whether you like it or not, everything a professional athlete does affect our youth.

I sure hope you are right about your kids, because even though I have done everything to teach my children about drugs and stuff, Peer pressure is tough and some other guymay not have been so good about teaching his. When some other kid offers your kid steroids to help the team, because "all the pros do it" can you be sure they'll say no? I don't even want them to have the offer so then I absolutely know the answer.

Education and discipline are funny things. I have seen some of America's smartest and most disciplined people get kicked out of the Naval Academy for stuff like this. You can never be absolutley sure what your kids will do!

Airborne!
12-16-2007, 20:38
Nope... I don't care either. In fact, there's a part of me that would like to see some professional sports played without any of those regulations. I'd like to see some genetically modified, jacked up, bionic super athletes with titanium bone replacements and steroid-enhanced supplimental muscle grafts compete against each other. Like you wouldn't watch a game where someone could hit a 172 mph fastball halfway to the moon, or drop a 478 lb. wide receiver who can run the 50 in 2.6 seconds.

That's just good entertainment.

I thought that sport was called Pro Wrestling? :smiley36:

FishFood
12-16-2007, 21:34

The two are not seperable because professional athletes are role models. Whether you like it or not, everything a professional athlete does affect our youth.

I sure hope you are right about your kids, because even though I have done everything to teach my children about drugs and stuff, Peer pressure is tough and some other guymay not have been so good about teaching his. When some other kid offers your kid steroids to help the team, because "all the pros do it" can you be sure they'll say no? I don't even want them to have the offer so then I absolutely know the answer.

Education and discipline are funny things. I have seen some of America's smartest and most disciplined people get kicked out of the Naval Academy for stuff like this. You can never be absolutley sure what your kids will do!

Im not sure where you went to school, but I never saw any evidence of riod usage... Maybe that's why we lost at virtually everything? :smiley5:

If Im going to worry about what factors influence the children, roid usage isnt the highest on my list. Drugs, alchol, dip/chew (hey Baseball?) Just because it isn't safe for minors (or stupid people) doesn't mean it should be completly outlawed. Up untill about a year ago you could walk into your local GNC and buy prohormones. Again, not safe more minors (or stupid people) so the government banned it. :smiley21:

Making roids illegal and sports banning their usage does nothing, obviously. Havent we learned about this already? (hey prohibition?) Make it legal, tax it, and educate people about the truth.

On the other hand I never gave a rats ass about pro-sports, so I dont know how much kids look up to them... Ill give ya that one, although I Still think they should be legalized.

PsychDiver
12-26-2007, 07:26
One of the newest practices of professional baseball players is to binge drink and then take large doses of Ritalin to pump back up for the game. It is because they can get a prescription and then it is not a drug issue. HA! HA! I know this for a fact because my wife's brother-in-law is was a pitcher in the majors for 8 years and we talked to him about it.