PDA

View Full Version : Noob question...what to wear under wetsuit?

Judge
12-13-2007, 16:19
All of my swimsuits are baggy...just like my clothes.....so what do I use under my shorty (Cozumel in May)

comet24
12-13-2007, 16:29
Oh crap your supposed to wear something under those.

These day I normally wear a Under Armour compression shorts under my wetsuits.

dallasdivergirl
12-13-2007, 16:32
a bikini or a bikini & a rash guard....

RoadRacer1978
12-13-2007, 16:33
I wear some Nike compression shorts made for swimming. The long ones, not the tiny binkini kind.

dallasdivergirl
12-13-2007, 16:36
http://forum.scubatoys.com/wetsuits/377-what-do-you-wear-under-wetsuit.html

for some more answers

Navy OnStar
12-13-2007, 17:25
Oh crap your supposed to wear something under those.

These day I normally wear a Under Armour compression shorts under my wetsuits.

Same, underarmour compression shorts unless it's cold then UA Cold Gear

OnStar

booger
12-13-2007, 17:44
My fiance calls the so called "compression shorts" ,"sausage shorts".:smiley36:

CompuDude
12-13-2007, 18:43
They're called Jammers. Speedo, Nike, Tyr... pretty much any major company that makes suits for competitive swimmers... they all make them.

"Speedos" aka "budgie smugglers" are an abomination reserved for Europeans and people with poor taste. ;)

For women, a simple swimsuit (one piece or two as dictated by comfort) works just fine.

RoadRacer1978
12-13-2007, 18:53
They're called Jammers. Speedo, Nike, Tyr... pretty much any major company that makes suits for competitive swimmers... they all make them.

Yes, Jammers. That is what I wear. Thanks for jogging my memory, I couldn't remember what they were called so I just tried to describe them.

Navy OnStar
12-13-2007, 20:16
Banana Hammock is another term you guys are missing.

Compression shorts are like boxer briefs

fisheater
12-14-2007, 01:13
Divers Direct has descent jammers that are cheap and in a wider range of sizes than I've been able to find elsewhere, including - alas - ScubaToys.

They're under their house brand EVO. I've been using a pair for 3-5 times a week for swimming and have been very impressed with the quality for the price.

CompuDude
12-14-2007, 04:24
You're thinking like divers. Which is good in some ways, not in others.

We are hardly the target market for swimwear. Tiny population.

Gotta find the people selling to the BIG population. That's NOT your LDS. Or even a fabulous online LDS like ScubaToys.

Men's Swimwear: Swim Jammers: SwimOutlet.com - The Web's Most Popular Swim Shop (http://www.swimoutlet.com/Swim_Jammers_s/213.htm)

divingbuddy
12-14-2007, 07:46
Either a speedo (they don't bunch up) or nothing at all.

I would not recommend the commando option in a rental, but in my own suit it works well.

Just my two cents....Cheers!

CODMAN
12-14-2007, 08:08
If you don't have anything else, biking shorts are very comfortable under a wetsuit. But if you're diving in salt water, you'll need to wash them regularly cause the Chamois gets smelly fast (doesn't dry very fast unlike real swim trunks). But being a cyclist, I have 7-8 pairs of old biking that don't serve anymore and I use for that.

Hope this helps!:smiley20:

RoadRacer1978
12-14-2007, 08:51

Gotta find the people selling to the BIG population. That's NOT your LDS. Or even a fabulous online LDS like ScubaToys.

Men's Swimwear: Swim Jammers: SwimOutlet.com - The Web's Most Popular Swim Shop (http://www.swimoutlet.com/Swim_Jammers_s/213.htm)

Of course e-bay is another option when it comes to getting some jammers. Found my for under $10.

scubaculture
12-14-2007, 09:30
I just wear a pair of Nike workout shorts, ride up a little but nothing uncomfortable.

Judge
12-14-2007, 09:56

I like those....and they can double as my compression shorts for kickboxing as well.....sweet (and are cheaper)

terrillja
12-14-2007, 11:12
I just wear surf shorts, as long as you smooth them out they are fine, once I take my wet suit off I want to have some freedom. I'd like to have kids some day, no need to cut all the blood off.

teog
12-14-2007, 12:25
I always use my swim shorts. Im not big for bannana hammocks.

cheebaweebie
12-14-2007, 13:28
I wear a pair of Tilos neoprene (they are like 1 or 1.5MM) shorts, a pair of boxer briefs or go commando. Once I get that damn suit on for the day, it doesn't come off (maybe down to the waist) until the boat is on it's way back to the dock anyway.

PsychDiver
12-14-2007, 18:16
I wear either compression shorts (cheap ones from walmart) or my old spandex shorts. If I wear the spandex I don't let my kids see me because they get real embarrased. But what are fathers for if not to embarrase their kids.

Shortyman801
12-14-2007, 19:15
I usually dont wear anything under my wetty. I think that it keeps me warmer because I don't have to transfer heat to my bathing suit (its an untested theory). Plus, I don't like having a bathing suit press up on my thigh, its itchy and leaves some nasty red marks for hours after I take of my wetsuit.

Duckydiver
12-14-2007, 19:46
I haven't really had problem wearing a slighting bagy suit under a wet suit.
I did however have the trunks split most of the way along the front while trying to get the wet suit off. How embaresing. Thank god for large beach towels..