PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Hose / o-rings: when to use lubricant?

BobbyWombat
12-13-2007, 16:31
OK,

So I've been reading some threads since I need to change out my LP inflator hose for my new BC. Looks pretty easy, but one question I have is what o-rings should get some lubricant, and which ones don't need it?

It seems from what I have read that static o-rings don't need lubricant. You screw it on and leave it. O-rings that seal against something moving or are loaded/unloaded often like on a camera housing ("dynamic o-rings") need to be lubricated.

If using air and only air, silicon lube is OK. If using or could use Nitrox, you need to use christolube.

Does that sound right????

in_cavediver
12-13-2007, 19:07
OK,

So I've been reading some threads since I need to change out my LP inflator hose for my new BC. Looks pretty easy, but one question I have is what o-rings should get some lubricant, and which ones don't need it?

It seems from what I have read that static o-rings don't need lubricant. You screw it on and leave it. O-rings that seal against something moving or are loaded/unloaded often like on a camera housing ("dynamic o-rings") need to be lubricated.

If using air and only air, silicon lube is OK. If using or could use Nitrox, you need to use christolube.

Does that sound right????

Yep. That pretty much covers it. Two minor differences. Even if its static, sometimes I'll add a bit of lube. Thinking tank o-rings here. Just makes it easier to get together and apart. Small stuff like Reg hoses i keep dry.

Also, I am lazy. I only use 02 compatible lubricant on everything. For a single diver, its not cost prohibitive. I'm on the same 'tub' for the last 6 years and I rebuild regs, BC inflater's and VIP tanks.

PsychDiver
12-17-2007, 01:04
When putting on silicone grease use a very small amount and rub it between the tips of your thumb and index finger. Then coat the o-ring without causing any build up by rubbing the o-ring between your thumb and index finger. Make sure you use a O2 o-ring and silicone approved for O2 if your are using the o-ring on a device that will be used with nitrox or other mixure.

robjoubert
12-17-2007, 09:49
This thread has made me realize that I need an inflator hose - especially as I have just bought a new first & second stage, octo abd dive computer form ST!!

Are the inflator hoses standard for all BC's - or is the hose I need dependant on the BC I have and use?

texdiveguy
12-17-2007, 10:04
I never lube the static o-ring at the cylinder valve to cylinder connection as it greatly increases the chance of a ring 'bulge' out...I have seen it happen with other divers.....leave this ring dry IMO.

No Misses
12-17-2007, 10:08
Inflator hoses do come in different legths. The most common is 22". I think that mine is 15". I'm not positive, but I can check when I get home.

in_cavediver
12-17-2007, 10:54
I never lube the static o-ring at the cylinder valve to cylinder connection as it greatly increases the chance of a ring 'bulge' out...I have seen it happen with other divers.....leave this ring dry IMO.

Actually, your right. Thinking about it, I lube the threads, not the o-ring on the tank..

BobbyWombat
12-17-2007, 11:29
This thread has made me realize that I need an inflator hose - especially as I have just bought a new first & second stage, octo abd dive computer form ST!!

Are the inflator hoses standard for all BC's - or is the hose I need dependant on the BC I have and use?

When you buy a BC, it should come with an appropriate length hose. I *think* the quick disconnect is pretty standard among different brands, but you may want a different length hose depending on your BC setup.

I had a "generic" BC inflator hose that was long enough for a typical jacket style BC. When I bought my BP/W, it came with a shorter hose, more appropriate for that style of BCD. (a longer hose would loop out instead of staying streamlined over your shoulder).

--------
All - thanks for the great input.

BobbyWombat
12-17-2007, 11:31
OK,

Next question: hose protectors.

Any tips/tricks for getting them on and off yourself??

WaScubaDude
12-17-2007, 11:51

Some are propritary. I think there are about 3 different types of fittings, not including those for an integrated octo/inflater. There is one that is fairly standard and common. Just let ST or your lds know what brand of BC/inflator you are using and they can hook you up.

texdiveguy
12-17-2007, 11:53

Actually, your right. Thinking about it, I lube the threads, not the o-ring on the tank..

..... :)

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 22:51
I never lube a tank o-ring either. But I do lube inflator hose, reg, octo o-rings that I attach to the first stage. I do know there are different size fittings for octo/inflators and standard inflators. I don't know if there are different standard fittings.

davepoff
12-23-2007, 21:16
I like a size 28 or 30 LPI hose. I think it is Oceanic or Aeries that has a different version fitting than standard inflators.

Flatliner
12-23-2007, 21:56
OK,

Next question: hose protectors.

Any tips/tricks for getting them on and off yourself??

I haven't had to take one off yet, BUT I did have to put one on. The guy at the LDS where I got it said to put it in a cup of boiling water for a minute or so first. I did so and it slipped right on. After it fully cooled it was as secure as the other ones.

cummings66
01-03-2008, 11:30
Yup, the boiling water trick works well. I know some will use a hair dryer on the protector as well, never on the hose.