PDA

View Full Version : How's your confidence?

PlatypusMan
07-24-2007, 10:33
Recently, I've been reading about incidents that seemed to arise out people exceeding their training/experience and subsequently running up against situations they could not or barely handled because they were inadequately prepared for them. Could this be because of their confidence level?

Have you ever done something that, in retrospect, you should NOT have done because you were never trained or had experience for it?

Have you ever just not 'felt right' about a dive, but went ahead for whatever reason? What did you attribute that feeling to?

I realize that this is a little vague; it's intentionally fuzzy so that a broad spectrum of discourse can happen.

cummings66
07-24-2007, 10:39
I've done dives I didn't really want to do. Some say that if you "feel" like you shouldn't do it then don't. I tend to weigh my skills and if the dive is within my training I'll do it. I've also aborted some of those dives I did where I didn't feel like it but it was within my skills.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sometimes your buddy isn't what he claims, and that's often why I get that nagging voice that says lets do a different dive.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've never done something clearly beyond my training, I don't think I ever will either. That's not my personality.</DIV>

94GTStang
07-24-2007, 13:55
I have yet to do something I didn't feel comfortable with. I haven't put myself in an awkward situation either. I would say I am fairly confident in the way I dive

TxHockeyGuy
07-24-2007, 15:24
I have solo dived, gone into an overhead environment, and I am not trained for either. However I fully realized that I was not trained for this and as such I severely limit my depth on solo dives to something that I could easily make a CESA from. I have also entered the plane out at CSSP but only a direct swim through of the rear hatches which left me in an overhead environment for maybe 6' of length. I doubt many would criticize me too much for the overhead as that is a classic swim through example. Many will probably criticize me for my solo diving on the other hand. The only way this could possibly effect others is if I were to become distressed and they chose to attempt a rescue.

What does slightly concern me is how comfortable I am becoming with diving in general. In the past I've always had that little voice telling me I'm entering a dangerous environment and that I need to pay special attention. That voice is not there any longer and I don't like that. That little bit of hesitation, anxiety, or whatever you want to call it I do believe has kept me from doing things that I perhaps shouldn't and would prefer that it always be there.

ertechsg
07-24-2007, 15:27
I have solo dived, gone into an overhead environment, and I am not trained for either. However I fully realized that I was not trained for this and as such I severely limit my depth on solo dives to something that I could easily make a CESA from. I have also entered the plane out at CSSP but only a direct swim through of the rear hatches which left me in an overhead environment for maybe 6' of length. I doubt many would criticize me too much for the overhead as that is a classic swim through example. Many will probably criticize me for my solo diving on the other hand. The only way this could possibly effect others is if I were to become distressed and they chose to attempt a rescue.

What does slightly concern me is how comfortable I am becoming with diving in general. In the past I've always had that little voice telling me I'm entering a dangerous environment and that I need to pay special attention. That voice is not there any longer and I don't like that. That little bit of hesitation, anxiety, or whatever you want to call it I do believe has kept me from doing things that I perhaps shouldn't and would prefer that it always be there.
you forgot Sisco

TxHockeyGuy
07-24-2007, 15:36

you forgot Sisco

I've never actually seen it as I've never actually been to that part of the quarry. If I recall from what people tell me it is 25' long and while I wouldn't mind going through it, I would not do so as part of a large group. I don't want to be stuck not being able to go forward or back in case someone panicked. I do respect overhead environments.

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 18:28
Stories of people in trouble or dying are what keep me from becoming over confident. Overall, I consider myself to be confident, but not overly so. I'mwilling to back out when it doesn't look right. I also recognize situations where I shouldn't go further.

However, I also am only OW certified and have done overhead (no caves, but I have done cavern diving) diving and I have gone down to 126 feet. It's sort of like, I'm not a Nascar driver, but I've also gone over 90 mph :)

I feel confident that I could handle many problems that could crop up, and I also know that if I die then I probably died because of a stupid decision of mine and I won't hold that against the Big Guy up there. It'll be like "Well...I guess this means I don't have to worry about that SI, I guess...." :)

As for solo diving, I wouldn't do it now, just because I'm a wimp. I'd do it in clear spring water, but not in the ocean in cloudy water. I'm very scared of sharks, I have an overactive imagination. I really hate sitting on the surface the most. :)

And my knowledge of how easily the crap could hit the fan is why I want to get more safety gear and get into tech diving, where I could handle any problem by myself, with redudnant gas, etc. :)

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 18:47
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I havenever doneanything beyond my training.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I dive the Harry Callahandive method.</DIV>
<DIV>A man's gotta know his limitations.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Clint Eastwood in Magnum Force the movie.</DIV>