PDA

View Full Version : Used tanks on Ebay

adv_diver1
12-14-2007, 17:32
I found this dive shop that is selling used rental tanks from a large inventory they purchased from another dive operation. They have NO RESERVE, the bidding starts @ 1 penny and the shipping is only $20.

Just search "80 scuba tank" and you should find them. They are a light scratched up sea blue. Previous sales have been from $27 - $61 from what I can see if you are in the market for a used tank or a spare. The feedback on the tanks is HIGH as well. with them passing vip and hyrdo, but these tanks don't need hydro until 2009 and just had vip service in july 2007.

snagel
12-14-2007, 17:48
Interesting, double check shipping. Will UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. ship a tank unless the valve is removed? Also, I heard something about some tanks (pre 1984 I think) that were made out of some "lesser alloys" not able to be filled by the LDS. We checked and our LDS didn't care, but there seems to be some "skuttlebutt" about this.

Always a skeptic in the crowd.

S. Nagel

adv_diver1
12-14-2007, 18:37
Yeah... these tanks are 1994 and they state that they ship with the valve on in the open position. I guess that is acceptable for the method of shipping, which is not stated.

Scubastud16
12-16-2007, 01:30
Pre 1990 are the "bad" tanks. I would worry about 13 year old AL tanks, as well as tanks that were beat up as rentals. It's your choice, but after seeing all the AL's that come through the shop that I work at, I'll buy new.

-Danny

awap
12-16-2007, 09:34
Pre 1990 are the "bad" tanks. I would worry about 13 year old AL tanks, as well as tanks that were beat up as rentals. It's your choice, but after seeing all the AL's that come through the shop that I work at, I'll buy new.

-Danny

Danny

What are you seeing that looks "bad" on older but post 1990 AL tanks? Are these defects still passing VIS?

RoadRacer1978
12-16-2007, 09:44
The problem is the Alloy used in making the older aluminum tanks. Most shops will not fill an aluminum tank manufactured before 1990.

Here are some links to threads where this has been discussed.
http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/1596-what-look-used-tanks.html

http://forum.scubatoys.com/tanks/2492-luxfer-6351-a.html

navyhmc
12-16-2007, 11:25
From what I have been seeing in a lot of the "No Reserve" Tanks on ebay are the pre-1988 tanks that are the bane of the diving world. I knwo, I have 3 of them and two are going to scrap soon. :( It hurts even thinking about it.

davepoff
12-16-2007, 21:52
What I have heard is that if the tank was manufactured prior to 1987 then they have to have a yearly eddy current test to see if they are still sound. I bought one off of ebay before I knew this and the LDS charged me an extra $10 for the test and told me I had gotten lucky with mine passing, they see about a 10% pass rate.

PsychDiver
12-17-2007, 01:46
Some dive shops will fil a pre 1988 tank with an eddy current vip and some will not. Buying tanks on-line is a risk but when you get a good one is worth it.

BSea
12-17-2007, 09:19
What I have heard is that if the tank was manufactured prior to 1987 then they have to have a yearly eddy current test to see if they are still sound. I bought one off of ebay before I knew this and the LDS charged me an extra $10 for the test and told me I had gotten lucky with mine passing, they see about a 10% pass rate.Only 10% pass? WOW, I've never heard anything like that. Sounds more like they were discouraging you from buying anymore off of E-Bay. Now I wouldn't buy a pre 1990 for all the reasons that others mention. But I've never heard of a 90% failure rate.

terrillja
12-17-2007, 10:08
Interesting, double check shipping. Will UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. ship a tank unless the valve is removed?

ST has sent me a couple of tanks with the valve on them, so you can ship them with the valve still on.

WaScubaDude
12-17-2007, 12:27

-Danny

Danny

What are you seeing that looks "bad" on older but post 1990 AL tanks? Are these defects still passing VIS?

With all the issues around alum tanks I would not buy a rental tank that looked anything but new. Rental tanks tipicaly take many more fill cycles and often "hot" fills, fast fills that put more heat and stress on the alum. Year for year I would rather buy an Alum tank off craigs list that looks gently used and still had air in it when sold.

I can see no good reason to buy a pre 1990 tank. The difference in price is very negligible and the risk of incident or LDS not being willing to fill it is too much.

Remember...E-bay tank + Shipping + Hydro/VIP/fill and possible eddy test $ = close to new tank prices anyway.

Lastly, Check into the price for Hydro/VIP/and fill. Around here it's about $40, not including any valve work.
Makes a brand new, or fairly new, lightly used tank seem pretty reasonable if they come with current Hydro & VIP.

Puffer Fish
12-17-2007, 16:00

-Danny

Danny

With all the issues around alum tanks I would not buy a rental tank that looked anything but new. Rental tanks tipicaly take many more fill cycles and often "hot" fills, fast fills that put more heat and stress on the alum. Year for year I would rather buy an Alum tank off craigs list that looks gently used and still had air in it when sold.

I can see no good reason to buy a pre 1990 tank. The difference in price is very negligible and the risk of incident or LDS not being willing to fill it is too much.

Remember...E-bay tank + Shipping + Hydro/VIP/fill and possible eddy test $ = close to new tank prices anyway.

Lastly, Check into the price for Hydro/VIP/and fill. Around here it's about $40, not including any valve work.
Makes a brand new, or fairly new, lightly used tank seem pretty reasonable if they come with current Hydro & VIP.
It should also be noted, that from time to time there are sales on new tanks... this summer Diversdirect had AL80's for under $100.. new ones. Ok they were bright metalic pink... but hey, they were under $100.

Scubastud16
12-17-2007, 21:19
Everybody else got it. 6351 = bad news. Eddy test should be done with all visual inspections.

VeniceDiver
12-21-2007, 17:38
Pre 1990 tanks are for scrap. But you can sell them to metal scrap
dealer for about .60-.70 a pound. 27lbs per tank. But they must be
clean, paint free & cut in half to get top dollar. I sold 2 of them that way.:smiley2:

in_cavediver
12-21-2007, 19:15
Everybody else got it. 6351 = bad news. Eddy test should be done with all visual inspections.

No. Eddy current testing is required on 6351 tanks during hydro. Recommended for annual VIPs by dive shops but no force of law.

Unless you have shop who knows what they are doing, you don't want them eddy current testing a 6061 tank. Eddy current can be done, and with good results but it is different than the 6351 alloy settings. If they don't make the adjustments, you can get bad data and a possibly condemn a good tank.

teog
12-22-2007, 18:12

-Danny

Danny

This seems like wise words to me. I wouldnt purchase one.