PDA

View Full Version : Console vs wireless

Cambria
12-15-2007, 01:51
I'm looking to get an AI computer, but can't decide between a console or a wristwatch style. I'm leaning toward the console since I think it will be easier to read and less hassle when getting a wet suit on. Still I can see how it is nice to get rid of the extra hose. How do people feel about each type?

Grin
12-15-2007, 07:13
I thought about a wrist type with wireless tank pressure also. Expensive, And a good place to get lost or scratched up is on my wrist, And I am not so sure holding my wrist up for along periods while accending would be all that comfortable. I like holding the base of the console as it sticks up in my face where I can read it without having to hold my arm up and out for expended time. I think it comes down to style. I know many don't pay attention to their accent like I do and for them this would be no big deal, as a glance every now and then would not be fatiguing to the arm. And then there is the argument about reliability that is mentioned alot when this comes up. Regular old SPG attached to a hose is pretty hard to beat for being bullitproof. All that said I still think they are nice many would like them. I just think I'd destroy the thing, or loose it. And another thing I didn't even think of until you just metioned it is the fact you would probably be removing and putting it on between each dive, which is just one more item to add to the list of tedious tasks.

clayton
12-17-2007, 18:24
I had a sunto geko for a year and loved it,but old eyes find it hard to read.So my wife got me the sherwood wisdom 2 which is air integrated ans larger display i really like it.She has a wrist Mares computer and has no problems but it isnt AI. Check them out and choose the form and function you need.

abcitydiver
12-17-2007, 20:29
i have an Atom 2:
Though my eyes are starting their downward spiral ( I do use cheaters for bedtime reading), I find the Atom easy to read both topside and at depth.
Since I dive with the mares atrim, I dont have my one arm in the air for long periods of time, its resting on the controls at my hip....I started diving with the atom on my left wrist (airtrim control wrist), but after a few dives moved it to my right wrist...then there is never a conflict of use.
I love having a wrist computer, it stays with me, on my wrist throughout my dive trips, (topside) functioning as a watch, an alarm clock, and way for me to keep my eye on altitude. Its also come in handy for conversations around evening drinks..when reviewing depth/temp/duration questions.
I love having one less hose.

RoadRacer1978
12-17-2007, 21:53
It all comes down to personal preference. I have found that I hate to reach down, pull up my guages, look at them, them let them go. I am so used to looking at a watch to see what time it is that a wrist computer to me seems the convient way to go. But like I said. It is all personal preference. I also don't see a wrist computer getting all that scratched up as I don't drag my arms along the bottom and I know exactly where my hands are at all times during the dive, unlike a console that could come lose and be flying around. This is all my opinion from the short amount of experience I have, but thought I'd throw it out there for what it is worth. Also if you go with a wrist computer one thing I have read is that yu might want to wear it on your right wrist rather that your left wrist. The reason being is that it will be easier to watch the computer o your right wrist while usin your left hand to operate the BCD dump valve as you ascend.

Cambria
12-18-2007, 01:57
I appreciate everyone's suggestions. If I got a wireless computer, I was thinking that something along the line of a VT3 would work. It has the larger size but is worn on the wrist. I have no intention of wearing it around when I'm not diving so it would be a good compromise. It can also be mounted on a retractor if I didn't like wearing it.

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 06:40
I have the VT3 and love it. So easy to use underwater. And easy to read.

CODMAN
12-18-2007, 07:23
This is my oppinion exactly. I check my gauge for pressure maybe every 2-3 minutes. But I check my depth, dive time, and ascent rate much more regularly. Having a console/computer would drive me mad. Wrist mount it is for me!!!!:smiley20:

It all comes down to personal preference. I have found that I hate to reach down, pull up my guages, look at them, them let them go. I am so used to looking at a watch to see what time it is that a wrist computer to me seems the convient way to go. But like I said. It is all personal preference. I also don't see a wrist computer getting all that scratched up as I don't drag my arms along the bottom and I know exactly where my hands are at all times during the dive, unlike a console that could come lose and be flying around. This is all my opinion from the short amount of experience I have, but thought I'd throw it out there for what it is worth. Also if you go with a wrist computer one thing I have read is that yu might want to wear it on your right wrist rather that your left wrist. The reason being is that it will be easier to watch the computer o your right wrist while usin your left hand to operate the BCD dump valve as you ascend.

Puffer Fish
12-18-2007, 07:39
I have one of every type... and use them, but I have a few preferences.

I have my air integrated Oceanic on a small retractor. it is close to my body, easy to read and has everything I would like to know on one screen. It is my favorite computer.

My wireless is nice, but it is on my wrist, which is not a good place to be if hunting lobster, but great if taking pictures. So, I don't wear it if lobsters are even close to being on the dive plan. As I have several transmitters, when diving with my wife, I can also see her tank psi and consumption rate... nice feature.

I have the standard computers, but like air integrated, more for a record of how the dive went, my air usage and future planning.

teerlkay
12-18-2007, 15:11
personal preference - I keep my computer on my wrist and wouldn't have it any other way

Matt P
12-18-2007, 17:54
My personal preference is the wrist mount. I had a console but switched it out after only 1 year. I got so tired of having to grab the console everytime I wanted to check gauges. I've also found it quite nice on the ascent. I have it mounted on my left wrist which is the same hand I use to purge my BC while ascending. I can view my guages while also holding up the hose and purging the BC.

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 23:10
My VT3 is wrist mount and I have Cobra2 which is a console. I look at the VT3 much more often than the console.

2Dogs
12-19-2007, 23:42
I recently got the wireless transmitter for my Vytec DS computer and interestingly the cylinder pressure on the computre consistently reads 10bar higher than the Halcyon SPG. Not sure which one's right but I guess I should assume the lowest.

Anyone else had similar experience?

CompuDude
12-20-2007, 19:28

Well said.

As to the complaint about keeping your arm out during an ascent, well, if you haven't tried it, don't complain! It's really a non-issue. Else people in the standard tech diving position (the superman position as it's sometimes called) would be REALLY tired by the end of a multi-hour dive...

http://www.gue.com/Equipment/Config/true_catalina0742.jpg http://www.h2ogeek.com/2006-12-02%20La%20Bufadora/thumbs/IMG_1718-crop.jpg

CompuDude
12-20-2007, 19:30
I recently got the wireless transmitter for my Vytec DS computer and interestingly the cylinder pressure on the computre consistently reads 10bar higher than the Halcyon SPG. Not sure which one's right but I guess I should assume the lowest.

I've read that some computers take temperature into consideration when measuring pressure. This results in slightly different readings from an SPG, which the manufacturers contend in less accurate, since it does not compensate.

Personally, I wish they just matched more, but I've learned to live with it.

2Dogs
12-20-2007, 20:37

I've read that some computers take temperature into consideration when measuring pressure. This results in slightly different readings from an SPG, which the manufacturers contend in less accurate, since it does not compensate.

That seems odd. I would have thought simply reporting the pressure without any adjustments for temp, moon cycles or marital status:smiley2: would be what everyone would be expecting. Same as a simple SPG.

CompuDude
12-20-2007, 20:56
That seems odd. I would have thought simply reporting the pressure without any adjustments for temp, moon cycles or marital status:smiley2: would be what everyone would be expecting. Same as a simple SPG.

I agree. But there it is. :smiley29:

tc_rain
12-20-2007, 21:49
Your wrist, you will look at it more

Puffer Fish
12-20-2007, 22:03

Any bourdon tube device will have accuracy issues....the standard dive one is usually 2.5% percent, full scale, in the middle third of the gauge...so a 5,000 psi gauge is usually within +/-125 psi.

My backup is an XS scuba.. and it is a 5% accuracy gauge, or +/- 250 psi (when new, in the middle one third of the gauge)

As you get off that middle, the gauge may be far less accurate.

This also means that the gauge may be dead on... random luck.

The load cell technology used in digital gauges is more a factor of the electrical measurement system design accuracy. Worst I have ever seen is 1.5% full scale, across the whole scale, and .5% is common.

My smart Tec reads around 200 psi off of the XS scuba gauge...and if you put them on a pony bottle and drain, it is obvious that the Smart Tec is low by around 50 psi, and the XS scuba is high by around 150 psi. 50 psi is 1%, which would be reasonable.