PDA

View Full Version : ST Hose Protectors

TommyB
07-24-2007, 12:16
When I purchased my reg/octo, you guys put on a cute little red
"Scuba Toys" hose protector.
Some reason when I got my wife's the other day "Could be because Joe was the one that built the wife's) it did not come with one.

I looked on your store inventory, but don't see them listed. This something that just get's added as a freebie or can I buy a couple.

She want's "purple" or "blue".
'Red will work' she says, but she wanted me to point out red really does not match the B2's face plate / purge valve :)..
Just passing along that bit of fashion info--pfft women and their color matching--

Judestudio
07-25-2007, 03:18
Sorry to steal your post here. While we're on the topic, I also want to know what's the main purpose for the hose protector? Protection from what?

TommyB
07-25-2007, 03:27
I think the main thing is it keep the house from being kinked at the coupling.
Or would the techie term be, exceeding the minimum bend radius at the coupling ??
:)

That, and my wife wants so.. I did not even notice they were on mine, until she asked, "how come I have those and she does not" --

picxie
07-25-2007, 03:34
When I purchased my reg/octo, you guys put on a cute little red
"Scuba Toys" hose protector.
Some reason when I got my wife's the other day "Could be because Joe was the one that built the wife's) it did not come with one.

I looked on your store inventory, but don't see them listed. This something that just get's added as a freebie or can I buy a couple.

She want's "purple" or "blue".
'Red will work' she says, but she wanted me to point out red really does not match the B2's face plate / purge valve :)..
Just passing along that bit of fashion info--pfft women and their color matching--

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oooh I think I'd like one of these as well. But blue. To match my other blue stuff http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif</DIV>

Judestudio
07-25-2007, 05:05
Oh I did a search on Google, apparently they're to reduce hose stress. I don't have them on mine, I wonder what's gonna happen?

JahJahwarrior
07-25-2007, 08:09
Are you sure it's not "exceeding the maximum reccomend hose bend angle" ?

I have them on most of my hoses. They are like, $3.50 at a store near me, but they are plain. They put them on for me too :) Don't think it's DIR, because they can hide corrosion and whatnot.

If your hoses are new, I don't know if I'd worry about it. If your hoses are asold as mine are, and the only reason you have them on is to hold it all together, keep 'em! :)

WaterRat
07-25-2007, 09:14
I have seen DIR with and without hose protectors/strain reliefs.If you use them, I do, then you need to pull them back a little when rinsing your regs to make sure you clean under them good.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

Judestudio
07-25-2007, 19:17
How important it is to have the hose protectors? Like, is it gonna reduce the lifespan of the hoses if there isn't a protector?

comet24
07-26-2007, 13:44
They prevent the hose from bending at extreme angles where it goes into the female connection which screws into the 1st stage. This prevents the hose from wearing early in that section.

JahJahwarrior
07-26-2007, 20:25
Lots of other factors can reduce lifespan as well, and hoses aren't that expensive to replace every four or five years, so don'tworry about it if you don't already have them.

przeor
07-26-2007, 20:28
I'd be more worried about what is growing under them than the chance I'd bend my hose at a weird angle... (oh that didn't come out right...)

cummings66
07-27-2007, 09:17
I wonder, do they make antibiotics for hoses? This could become an epidemic. I'm not sure I want my hoses messing with yours.:rasta:

CompuDude
07-27-2007, 12:45
They're pretty (sort of), but if you take good care of your gear, they don't really help all that much. On the other hand, they can hurt by hiding corrosion unless you take the extra step of pulling them back to check and rinse under them every time you wash your gear.

I have enough stuff I have to deal with, and I take good care of my gear, so I pass on them.

techgnostic
07-27-2007, 13:12
If your hoses are asold as mine are, and the only reason you have them on is to hold it all together, keep 'em! :)

Ouch...good luck finding an insta-buddy once the rest of the scuba world signs on to the board and reads that. :p

JahJahwarrior
07-27-2007, 22:24
Ouch...good luck finding an insta-buddy once the rest of the scuba world signs on to the board and reads that. :p

Who needs instabuddies? I'm not even certified, and I only dive solo. Don't worry, I bought two Spare Air's and manifolded them together for redundant gas.

:) Actually I'm certed and I mainly dive with a buddy here, in local springs. And I don't have a Spare Air. But if I did, I would buy two and manifold them together, Ir eally would....And you will be happy to know that I have some new hoses in the mail, and the old hoses weren't that bad to begin with. :) But, the "Sherwood" stock hose protectors are now something like "petrified" and there's no way I can pull themback, they don't budge. One of th hoses started leaking under one of those hose protectors, so I bit the bullet and ordered some from Mo2vation on Scubaboard.

techgnostic
07-28-2007, 12:44

Who needs instabuddies? I'm not even certified, and I only dive solo. Don't worry, I bought two Spare Air's and manifolded them together for redundant gas.

ROTFL (so I'm not the only one)

Vercingetorix
07-28-2007, 17:10
When I bought a hose from ST, the protector was a freebie.