PDA

View Full Version : Bennett Springs

snagel
12-15-2007, 12:43
We've got things set up to dive Bennett Springs in a couple weeks 12/29. We're familiar with the park and the springs, but have never dove it before. Previously, there was a post on this and I believe Cummings provided some very good pictures.

Can anybody give us some information on diving this such as good entry points. Things to do, not to do?

S. Nagel

DivingCRNA
12-15-2007, 13:40
We've got things set up to dive Bennett Springs in a couple weeks 12/29. We're familiar with the park and the springs, but have never dove it before. Previously, there was a post on this and I believe Cummings provided some very good pictures.

Can anybody give us some information on diving this such as good entry points. Things to do, not to do?

S. Nagel

There is only one entry point. Where the spring comes out of the cavern.

rach
12-15-2007, 16:58
wow, bennett spring, like in lebanon, MO? that's MY HOMETOWN, baby!!

Please, please, please post pics--I used to be the manager of the pool over there--what great memories!! (too bad i learned to dive after I left for college!) Stop at Cornerstone Pizza for some stromboli for a good post dive meal!!

cummings66
12-15-2007, 20:16
Look at my profile, the homepage I list there has the link to the photo's of Bennett Springs.

Diving Photos (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving/)

cummings66
12-15-2007, 20:21
What not to do, do NOT penetrate the cave without proper certification, make sure you check in at the Park Office and let them copy your cert card. They want AOW for starters.

Park near the entry point, just suit up and walk in where it's easiest, ie no large steps should be required. Swim towards the darker color and soon you'll see a cavern, guideline is on the right side. When the guideline runs out you're nearing the cave, the room by the way is called the Popcorn room and if you're lucky you can see the rocks floating or popping up from the bottom.

If I recall the depth there would be about 82 feet or real close, might be lots of current or little, it all depends.

Follow the rule of thirds and pay attention to the SPG.

snagel
12-15-2007, 21:16
Thanks for the info, Cummings, and no, we don't plan to enter the cave. Just a side note, we were in Mexico a month ago and did some Cenote Dives. They call them Cenotes, we were in agreement, they are caves. But, we are not going in this cave.

S. Nagel

DivingCRNA
12-15-2007, 22:06
Look at my profile, the homepage I list there has the link to the photo's of Bennett Springs.

Diving Photos (http://www.mcmsys.com/~cummings/diving/)

If I am not mistaken, your avatar photo is taken at Bennett Springs??

cummings66
12-16-2007, 20:39
Yes, it's right where you're going to park if you're smart and don't want to walk far.

If a person has doubts where it is, once you check in at the office they will tell you how to get there. It's a stones throw away, at least a throw for a professional baseball player on steroids at any rate.

SteveC
12-17-2007, 22:31
Cummings,

I was under the impression that there wasn’t any real cave area there. Am I mistaken?

Thanks,
Steve