PDA

View Full Version : Drysuit Training checkout dives

eenglish
12-15-2007, 13:06
For Xmas my husband and I have signed up for drysuit training. The checkup dives are at DS in Feburary. Has anyone bring to DS in Feb. How do you stay warm during suface intervals ?

Matt P
12-15-2007, 13:38
I didn't realize they were open that time of year. I have heard of people setting up tents & keeping warmer(er) that way. I've been there in late April and the water temps were very cold then...38-40 F at 70ft. I only lasted about 25 mins a dry suit. BRRRRR!

CompuDude
12-17-2007, 19:43
Depends on where you are. How cold are we talking about? If surface temps are well under 50, you may want to simply go into your car? For surface temps in the high 40's and up, frankly, just stay in your drysuit and keep zipped up. The same suit that keeps you warm(ish) underwater, in very cold water, does a bang-up job of keeping you warm topside, too... better, in fact, since you don't have water conducting heat away from you.

If you're talking about surface temps well below freezing, perhaps the tent thing works, or perhaps you just go to your car... I've read that's how they do it in Alaska... they literally leave their cars running with the heat on, and when they exit the water they dump their gear and dash for the cars as fast as possible!

I'm sure your LDS can let you know what the procedures applicable to your specific local conditions are, however.

texdiveguy
12-17-2007, 19:52
For Xmas my husband and I have signed up for drysuit training. The checkup dives are at DS in Feburary. Has anyone bring to DS in Feb. How do you stay warm during suface intervals ?

I see you live in NJ....were is DS?

BouzoukiJoe A.K.A. wrecker130 AKA Chuck Norris AKA joeforbroke (banned)
12-18-2007, 09:23
DS = Dutch Springs is my guess.

eenglish
12-18-2007, 17:33
Dutch Springs is near Allentown Pa. South of the Poconos. In Feb I would expect it to be in the 30s. CompuDude had a great idea. Just stay in my drysuit.

BoomerNJ
02-05-2008, 08:09
It was in the 40's when I did my dry suit check out dives in October '07. I was actually a little too warm with my suit closed up & had to crack it open to cool off during surface intervals. Once you climb that hill coming out on the student side, you should be plenty warm to carry you through the SI, unless it's really cold. We had a burner set up with come hot choc going too... It really wasn't bad at all...