PDA

View Full Version : PADI problems...

Fireplug
12-15-2007, 22:22
Anybody else had problems dealing with PADI? I finished my open water end of September and mailed the packet in certified mail. They received it 10/9/07. I called 11/13 and found name spelled wrong, address wrong and picture missing. Lady finally found a picture of guy with shaved head, big moustache and glasses. Should be me. Card on the way. Called 12/3. Address wrong again. Card on the way. Finally received a card 12/10. Not the picture of a great white I paid extra to Project AWARE for. No picture of my smiling mug. No picture, period. What's the point of sending a picture? I'm not impessed.

Only good thing was Cristal Charters, Key Largo who let me dive on my instructor's paper temp card. Kudos to Cap't George and all in Florida. Great dive folks.

texdiveguy
12-15-2007, 23:18
Never had that happen....hope you get it worked out soon.

WV Diver
12-16-2007, 00:29
This is strange, I've dealt with PADI a lot with both my personal diving and seen lots of students go through and have never heard of this or anything remotely like it.

Sorry to here about it. I would stay on them and try to speak to someone at a higher level.

If you get it back again and it is wrong I would just have them send you another PIC Envelope (free) and just submit it again from scratch. They do hundreds of these things everyday, I can't see why your are having this problem.

RoadRacer1978
12-16-2007, 02:40
Sorry to hear you are having such problems. I received my night diver card and PADI had my middle initial wrong. I shot them an email the day I got my card. The next day I had received an email back telling me they would get me another card in the mail with the correct middle initial. A couple weeks later my new card arrived at my LDS. Everything was correct. I was very happy with the service I received from PADI. They are a little on the slow side, but they fixed the problem and I didn't need the card for any dives I was doing.

adv_diver1
12-16-2007, 04:38
I am sorry you had such a crap experience... very weird as I just ordered a replacement cert card online, uploaded my picture and it came in the mail about 5 days later. Maybe you just got handled by the one idiot in that department.... give'em another shot.

robjoubert
12-16-2007, 09:46
Newbie question: how long does it usually take after the last certification dive until you receive your c-card? My final OW certification dive was 11/24/2007 & the instructor got the papers to the LDS on 11/27/2007 so I am not expecting anything until January 2008. Or should it be sooner?

RoadRacer1978
12-16-2007, 10:10
I think mine took about 4 to 5 weeks to receive. I did mine in the summer however and that seems to be a much busier time for processing certs. You might get yours a bit sooner. :)

cgvmer
12-16-2007, 10:25
My son and I sent them in together, both came back in 3 weeks that was in we certified in April.

Disneymom
12-16-2007, 11:09
The only problem I've experienced was with my original OW cert card - they had my birthdate wrong. I sent them an email and they corrected it and got a card right back out in the mail. I got all my cards (OW, specialty, AOW) about three weeks after competion of each. Sorry you're having trouble with yours.

WV Diver
12-16-2007, 12:35
I had missed that you said you dove with Cristal Clear Charters. I have been out with them and they are really a great bunch. Actually, they took me out to the Spiegel Grove and shallow reef for free.

BuzzF117
12-16-2007, 14:57
I can't imagine trying to read all the applicants hand writing in the little boxes that you have to fill in, so if they only get one wrong then I think they are doing a great job. I know my handwriting is horrible I made doubly sure you could read what I filled in. If I am not mistaken with PADI you don't need to send in a picture everytime you juse have to have the identicle name and bday and they can match up your pic.

Zyxistal
12-16-2007, 22:30
I've never had any problems in my dealings with PADI.

PsychDiver
12-17-2007, 00:49
No problems with PADI. While not super fast, they are adequate.

DZorn00
12-17-2007, 14:08
my buddy and I took our course in September did our dive in October and had our cards by November. Sorry to hear that you are having trouble. Hope things work out for ya...

DeepDiver36
12-19-2007, 01:04
With all this technology at our disposal, why not have the students fill in the information online including scanning in a picture. Either the student or the LDS can do this easily. :smiley20:

Once the course is completed, the DM scans and sends in the final paperwork with the signatures and such and then the cert agency just has to verify and hit print. Seems so simple. No more paper or mistakes.

DollFin
12-19-2007, 02:06
I got certified in mid October and had my card from PADI by the end of the month. Sorry you're having problems but don't give up.

Fireplug
12-23-2007, 10:03
FINALLY, everything must have aligned correctly in California and I got my ow card yesterday. Complete with pic of my smiling :smiley11: mug, correct dates, name, even the GRINNING great white shark on the other side. Thanks to PADI, Project AWARE, my instructor Rick McFarland, the academy awards people, my agent...you get the idea. Thanks go out to all the folks on scubatoys' forum who encouraged me. Now if I could only get my mask to stop leaking thru past my moustache....

Merry Christmas to all and have a great 2008!!! Hope to see ya diving in some water.

WV Diver
12-23-2007, 12:19
So glad to hear that everything worked out for you finally.

wheelman
12-23-2007, 15:20
Glad to read it worked out. I've never had an issue with PADI.

teog
12-23-2007, 15:39
Im glad to hear it work out for you.

TxScubaBear
01-11-2008, 07:23
Good to hear, thanks for the update. I had the experience of my C-card showing up after OW cert as a Scuba Diver......uh, I don't think so. Took one call from me, one fax of all my docs and one call from my instructor to get is straightened out. It probably depends on who you talked to and the "mood" they might've been in, always feel free to ask for a supervisor if you aren't happy- they really do try to keep thousands of clients happy.

cummings66
01-11-2008, 10:54
And they don't have thousands of people to do it. It could be worse, I think NASE has 6 people taking care of business.

SYOTABUCS
01-16-2008, 12:53
My wife and I got our AOW at the same time. When we got our cards back they had the my pic on her card and hers on mine. Called them and straightned it out easily. Actually the LDS could have screwed that up. But it was easy enough to correct.

St.jimmy
01-21-2008, 16:27
Original poster: Put some Chap-et on your 'stache.

georoc01
01-21-2008, 17:27
I have a bunch of PADI cards, my best was when my AOW card came with no certification on the front. Basically a blank. I could have stamped Instructor on the front and been perfectly fine :)

What I like to do is look up my certs on the PADI website. You can log in and see your certifications under the my education tab.

DiveCaptain
01-21-2008, 20:44
That's a cool website. I never realized they had a listing of your cert.'s online at their site.

MLenyo
01-21-2008, 21:56
mine came in no prob, but it's the worst picture i've EVER taken.... EVER!!

kancho
01-22-2008, 08:58
Only problem I have had was the training center not submitting my information on time. My open water cert card took 3 months to arrive.

WAHMof2
01-24-2008, 19:58
We have had no problems to date, except they got my hubbys birth date wrong. They fixed it and had him a new card in like two weeks.
We recently joined the PADI dive society (or whatever it's called) just because it was a pretty good deal for the mags and the cool little gear bags......but so far we've received nothing. The checks were cashed over a month ago. :smilie40:

Dive4Fun
02-08-2008, 16:40
The only thing I've done with PADI was OW and I had no problems. Did AOW and night with NAUI and again, no problems at all. I think any of the big ones are good to deal with otherwise they wouldn't be around.

KGNickl
02-08-2008, 18:49
I never had any problems with PADI. My first card came quick and my replacement even came quick! Only problem I had was minor and it was with the instructor who forgot to put picture numbers to names. So processing the applications was delayed to someone went down to the shop and put names to faces for him. Also I have never had to deal with PADI directly, its always through a shop that deals with them.

justaddwater_ifukuda
02-08-2008, 20:54
Got my OW, AOW, RD, replacement card for RD without issues.

Hollywood703
02-11-2008, 17:25
Agreed that this is a Fluke, I have had Hundreds of Transactions with Them for Students, and outside of Spelling errors (usually from bad Handwriting over PADI Error) I have not seen any problems. As stated they are kinda slow, Call and ask to speak to a Supervisor if you are not getting the resolve you wish.

pyre24
02-13-2008, 01:30
No problems yet. But I still have alot of classes to take left.

KGNickl
02-13-2008, 05:33
If you want problems just deal with getting a passport. I'm in the middle of that now. They sent a letter saying I didn't include a bunch of stuff (i saw the women put each of the missing papers in the folder that was mailed. Now they need me to resend them within 90 days or they keep my money and I get nothing. A waste of my time, luckily I decided against a out of country vacation this year! Also at least you can call and yell at PADI and possibly get somewhere on the phone. With the government they have the do what we want or you don't get what you need attitude.

navyhmc
02-13-2008, 10:32
If you want problems just deal with getting a passport. I'm in the middle of that now. They sent a letter saying I didn't include a bunch of stuff (i saw the women put each of the missing papers in the folder that was mailed. Now they need me to resend them within 90 days or they keep my money and I get nothing. A waste of my time, luckily I decided against a out of country vacation this year! Also at least you can call and yell at PADI and possibly get somewhere on the phone. With the government they have the do what we want or you don't get what you need attitude.

What paperwork? All I sent was the completed application and my birth certificate. Personally, I would send them the requested paperwork. The Gov't ain't getting any of my money with out a lot of sweat and tears.

fisheater
02-14-2008, 00:27
Received my PADI OW card today, only 2 weeks and a day after I mailed my paperwork in.

I also received an email confirmation only 8 days after I mailed my paperwork in.

No complaints here!

KGNickl
02-14-2008, 00:39

What paperwork? All I sent was the completed application and my birth certificate. Personally, I would send them the requested paperwork. The Gov't ain't getting any of my money with out a lot of sweat and tears.
They lost the photocopy of my drivers license.

RoyN
02-14-2008, 13:12
Nope, no problems with PADI, NAUI or anything.

pyre24
02-14-2008, 15:46

Same here. I put mine in 6 months before going to Ukraine. Got it on month before leaving. I knew I was dead set on going, so I put in for it early. Ill keep going as long as I can afford to go over there. It does take them awhile to process.

navyhmc
02-14-2008, 21:47
Took my PADI Nitrox at the end of Jan, sent the Pic in about a week later. Still haven't gotten the card, but when I log onto the PDI site, it's on my certifications. So that should suffice until the card comes-not that I intend ot do nitrox in the next 2 weeks. (I know, "Bummer!!!")

Athena2c
02-19-2008, 21:07
My husband and I each completed the PADI nitrox course on our liveaboard trip in Jan, and mailed in the forms and pics a couple weeks later. We both received our cards in 2-3 weeks-no problem.

emcbride81
02-19-2008, 21:21
My husband and I each completed the PADI nitrox course on our liveaboard trip in Jan, and mailed in the forms and pics a couple weeks later. We both received our cards in 2-3 weeks-no problem.

Yep, I got my nitrox card in 3 weeks and my AOW just got here today...I sent out the papers 2 weeks ago.

sgarland
02-21-2008, 15:03
yes, I had some similiar problems with name spelling differences between OW and AOW. It took about four weeks and three phone calls to straighten out, get new cards, rectify history and everything. PADI's help line was friendly, polite and eventually everything was fine.

jmoors
02-29-2008, 13:10
I sent in 7 certs ... AOW, RD, Deep, Nav, Boat, PPB, and Naturalist. They all came back fine but one. The Naturalist was lost. The cashed the check for Project Aware but no card nor record of it. I called them and they said they would email the form and to fax it back. Never got an email. Called them again, this time they said I didn't need to fill out a form, just fax in the front and back of temp card, atten Richard ... I also told them about the check and that I wanted the GW card ... asked them to let me know that they got the fax ... have not heard from them yet???

My Better Half got her OW card from them yesterday ... It says Open Water Enriched Air ... NOT!!! It should have been just regular open water so will have to call them about that one now. Still waiting for her AOW, and Boat Spec. She did get an email about her AOW.

Anyway that is what is happening here ... I'll update as things move forward.

I would like to say on PADI's behalf ... they have been very polite and easy to deal with.

John

jmoors
03-04-2008, 16:28
I sent in 7 certs ... AOW, RD, Deep, Nav, Boat, PPB, and Naturalist. They all came back fine but one. The Naturalist was lost. The cashed the check for Project Aware but no card nor record of it. I called them and they said they would email the form and to fax it back. Never got an email. Called them again, this time they said I didn't need to fill out a form, just fax in the front and back of temp card, atten Richard ... I also told them about the check and that I wanted the GW card ... asked them to let me know that they got the fax ... have not heard from them yet???

My Better Half got her OW card from them yesterday ... It says Open Water Enriched Air ... NOT!!! It should have been just regular open water so will have to call them about that one now. Still waiting for her AOW, and Boat Spec. She did get an email about her AOW.

Anyway that is what is happening here ... I'll update as things move forward.

I would like to say on PADI's behalf ... they have been very polite and easy to deal with.

John

Update ... My other half finally got all her cards and they are now correct. However still can have not received my naturalist specality. I have called twice, faxed in my temp card still nothing, when I sent in the fax I wrote on it to please call me when they got it ... nothing ... so now I have emailed them and waiting to see if I hear back this way.

John

rye_a
03-04-2008, 16:35
Bummer. Sorry you had a tough experience. I have always filled out my info myself brfore the LDS sent it in, so I suppose that I am responsible for accuracy.

georoc01
03-04-2008, 17:38
I had PAdI send me back a blank card once. No certification listed. I still have it, but not sure what value it actually has..

rfb3
03-04-2008, 18:23
I am actually shocked that more people have not had issues... I have personally seen the same types of issues, wrong pic, missing paperwork, etc... If you every get an email or phone number to someone that can help, hang on to it. Glad is all worked out...

NoTime58
03-05-2008, 06:50
Completed the wreck diver specialty last week while in Key West. Everything was "E" transmitted by the dive shop (SubTropic Dive Center). We'll see how long it takes to get the cert. card and if it's correct. Never had any problem before. Took NITROX and Deep diver cert's. in Grand Cayman back in November. I mailed in all the info and got the cards back in @ 17 days.

NucMed Man
03-05-2008, 10:58
No problems with Cert. cards from PADI but did have trouble with membership.:smiley5: Signed up for three (3) year deal and was supposed to get PADI bag, hat, and windbreaker.:smiley20: Got bag only, so sent off e-mail to check on other items (thought might be out of stock) but no reply. Then got another bag delivered!:smiley29: So called and discussed with rep who confirmed that they failed to ship other items and that remainder of gear would be sent in next morning mail. One week later recieved the hat, windbreaker, and a THIRD BAG!:smiley36:

rfb3
03-05-2008, 11:00
One week later recieved the hat, windbreaker, and a THIRD BAG!:smiley36:

Sweet!

BeachBunnyCrissy
03-08-2008, 15:56
Anybody else had problems dealing with PADI? I finished my open water end of September and mailed the packet in certified mail. They received it 10/9/07. I called 11/13 and found name spelled wrong, address wrong and picture missing. Lady finally found a picture of guy with shaved head, big moustache and glasses. Should be me. Card on the way. Called 12/3. Address wrong again. Card on the way. Finally received a card 12/10. Not the picture of a great white I paid extra to Project AWARE for. No picture of my smiling mug. No picture, period. What's the point of sending a picture? I'm not impessed.

Only good thing was Cristal Charters, Key Largo who let me dive on my instructor's paper temp card. Kudos to Cap't George and all in Florida. Great dive folks.

When I did my open water, the picture was a different person not even someone in my class then I called the LDS I did it through and by then I had done my Nitrox and they finally got that one right.

divergirl
03-14-2008, 14:15
... I noticed a few of you said you got cards for the completion of your specialty courses... is that normal? I did my 5 specialities and attained my advanced open water but I only have an O/W and AOW card...

terrillja
03-14-2008, 14:21
... I noticed a few of you said you got cards for the completion of your specialty courses... is that normal? I did my 5 specialities and attained my advanced open water but I only have an O/W and AOW card...
if you are talking about the 5 DIVES you did for AOW, those are not specialties. Specialties are specific courses, if you for instance did 1 wreck dive for your AOW, then you would have to do 3 more dives to get the specialty.

AOW is a trial for a specialty, but you don't do it in depth, the specialty course covers it in depth.

As for the cards, it depends on the shop, some include the card, some you have to pay to get the card.

divergirl
03-14-2008, 23:58
if you are talking about the 5 DIVES you did for AOW, those are not specialties. Specialties are specific courses, if you for instance did 1 wreck dive for your AOW, then you would have to do 3 more dives to get the specialty.

AOW is a trial for a specialty, but you don't do it in depth, the specialty course covers it in depth.

As for the cards, it depends on the shop, some include the card, some you have to pay to get the card.

Hmm... I was under the impression It was the same thing.. because my dive shop gave me the option of doing 5 seperate specialty courses which then makes you an advanced diver.. or taking that course with 5 specialities and getting it done that way...

terrillja
03-15-2008, 00:05
Well one possibility is that when they were talking about 5 specialties, they were referring to the master scuba diver rating, where a diver has >50 dives and 5 specialty certs. AOW on the other hand is just 5 dives with each one in a different specialty, sort of a try out each one and see what you like kind of deal.

fisheater
03-15-2008, 00:18
Each of those five dives counts as the first dive for that particular specialty.

For instance, the navigation dive taking in your AOW course counts as the first of the three required UW Navigation Specialty dives.

terrillja
03-15-2008, 00:23
Each of those five dives counts as the first dive for that particular specialty.

For instance, the navigation dive taking in your AOW course counts as the first of the three required UW Navigation Specialty dives.

*however, some shops will not count your aow dives for a specialty iif you did not do the aow with them.

Just a shop being a PITA

NoTime58
03-15-2008, 06:28

*however, some shops will not count your aow dives for a specialty iif you did not do the aow with them.

Just a shop being a PITA

I haven't run into that problem before. Redsail Sports on Grand Cayman counted my deep dive, (85ft) during AOW training in Thailand toward the deep diver specialty I did with them back in November. For my wreck dive certification in February I made four wreck dives even though I had made a wreck dive during AOW training. That was fine by me, just more time under the water and it was included in the certification fee as were all my specialty certification cards, (deep, NITROX, wreck).

NoTime58
03-15-2008, 06:29
No problems with Cert. cards from PADI but did have trouble with membership.:smiley5: Signed up for three (3) year deal and was supposed to get PADI bag, hat, and windbreaker.:smiley20: Got bag only, so sent off e-mail to check on other items (thought might be out of stock) but no reply. Then got another bag delivered!:smiley29: So called and discussed with rep who confirmed that they failed to ship other items and that remainder of gear would be sent in next morning mail. One week later recieved the hat, windbreaker, and a THIRD BAG!:smiley36:

Can I have one of the extra bags you have......broke the zipper on mine already !!

divergirl
03-15-2008, 12:36

Just a shop being a PITA

I haven't run into that problem before. Redsail Sports on Grand Cayman counted my deep dive, (85ft) during AOW training in Thailand toward the deep diver specialty I did with them back in November. For my wreck dive certification in February I made four wreck dives even though I had made a wreck dive during AOW training. That was fine by me, just more time under the water and it was included in the certification fee as were all my specialty certification cards, (deep, NITROX, wreck).

So now I feel as though I've been ripped off.. they obviously didn't explain it very properly because I've been thinking for the last 5 yeasr of my life that I had my drysuit/deep/nav/night/wreck certification.....

So.. do I now have to go pay them even more to take each class seperately to finish the other dives? or can I do the dives with a buddy and log them in my book?

Also does that mean if I'm renting a drysuit from another shop they won't let me? because... every dive I've taken since my O/W have been in a drysuit... uggh so many questions.

terrillja
03-15-2008, 13:06
So now I feel as though I've been ripped off.. they obviously didn't explain it very properly because I've been thinking for the last 5 yeasr of my life that I had my drysuit/deep/nav/night/wreck certification.....

So.. do I now have to go pay them even more to take each class seperately to finish the other dives? or can I do the dives with a buddy and log them in my book?

Also does that mean if I'm renting a drysuit from another shop they won't let me? because... every dive I've taken since my O/W have been in a drysuit... uggh so many questions.
Yes, you have to pay more, and take a class to get the full specialty certification.

As for the DS, some require the cert to rent one, some don't, but either way you will have to take a DS specialty course to get that cert card.

Hollywood703
03-15-2008, 13:26
I have not had a problem renting a drysuit from other LDS that I didnt cert with. But, they did question me a bit the first time, to make sure i knew how to use it.