PDA

View Full Version : Snap Bolts

loudgonzo
07-24-2007, 13:13
What is the best way to attach a snap bolt to a hose? I have seen pictures of hoses secured to a snap bolt, which are then easily clipped to a D ring. Is it regular string that secures the hose to the "eye" of the bolt?

mwhities
07-24-2007, 13:15
http://mwhities.dirdivers.com/index.php?level=album&id=10 (http://mwhities.dirdivers.com/index.php?level=album&id=10)

That might help.

Just use cave line that comes on the finger spools.

Michael

mwhities
07-24-2007, 13:18
Ok, sorry.

This might REALLY help you.

http://diveriteexpress.com/library/boltsnap.shtml

Michael

loudgonzo
07-24-2007, 13:46
Ok, sorry.

Michael

Perfect! Thanks!

techgnostic
07-24-2007, 21:14
Ok, sorry.

Michael

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Not only is the info useful, but the site is nice too. Thanks. </DIV>
<DIV>though they show SS, but why not just use brass?</DIV>

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 21:20
I used a ziptie on my SPG. I don't believe in "breakaway" things in case of tangling. If I tangle, I drown. ;)

Caveline is the way to go, but my brain goes into knots when my hands try to. Ziptie was simple. Regular string will probably rot. If you don't have a spool with line you can steal, find a shop that has Tech gear, they'll have a huge roll of the stuff, I'm almost certain. If you really can't find any, I could mail you a foot or so of bright yellow #24 cave line.

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 21:23
<div></div>
<div>Not only is the info useful, but the site is nice too. Thanks. </div>
<div>though they show SS, but why not just use brass?</div>

Techgnostic--I know alot of people complain that brass clips wear more easily than SS ones. Not a problem really, except that this can supposedly create sharp edges on some part of the clip, which can slice thumbtips open. I've never seen a problem with these on my gear, but they swear it happens. It probably does, my gear isn't in the water or in use as much as some tech divers :)

Also, sometimes you'll find brass clips sold with steel springs, which rust very quickly. SS are better all around, just more expensive. (you could probably find an SS clip or double ender with a steel spring too...) Keep and eye out though, at some point on TDS a guy was selling a whole bunch of brass and SS parts for a good price....

If you just need one, and have the cash, get an SS one. You probably won't regret it.

Woops....just saw I made two posts in the same thread :) I don't usually do that....my bad.....

CompuDude
07-24-2007, 21:41
Brass gets stickier as it gets older, too. SS stays smooth.

techgnostic
07-24-2007, 21:41
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Not only is the info useful, but the site is nice too. Thanks. </DIV>
<DIV>though they show SS, but why not just use brass?</DIV>

Techgnostic--I know alot of people complain that brass clips wear more easily than SS ones. Not a problem really, except that this can supposedly create sharp edges on some part of the clip, which can slice thumbtips open.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I tend to use brassTrigger Clips, so it would have to wear a lot to get sharp.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
</DIV>
<DIV>Also, sometimes you'll find brass clips sold with steel springs, which rust very quickly. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I hadn't pondered that aspect. I just assumed the springs would have been stainless...whoops.</DIV>

techgnostic
07-24-2007, 21:42
Brass gets stickier as it gets older, too. SS stays smooth.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have run into that. I guess I like the maritime feel of brass. I'm a sailor at heart.</DIV>

JahJahwarrior
07-25-2007, 08:16
I like the feel of brass as well :) You use trigger clips...haven't seen many people using those on SCUBA. Most people use...eh....single ended double enders :) or suicide clips/mariner's clips. The latter are very not-DIR, and they cost about the same, so I always go with double enders or the single ended version of a double ender.....:) Any particular reason you choose to use trigger clips, other than you use them in other sports than SCUBA? A

And does anyone have any particular reason that trigger clips are good or bad for scuba?

CompuDude
07-25-2007, 11:40
I used a ziptie on my SPG. I don't believe in "breakaway" things in case of tangling. If I tangle, I drown. ;)

Caveline is the way to go, but my brain goes into knots when my hands try to. Ziptie was simple. Regular string will probably rot. If you don't have a spool with line you can steal, find a shop that has Tech gear, they'll have a huge roll of the stuff, I'm almost certain. If you really can't find any, I could mail you a foot or so of bright yellow #24 cave line.

If you don't believe in "breakaway" things, I'm surprised you're using zipties. They are the ultimate breakaway... in fact, the reason a lot of divers don't like them is because they break away a little too easily.

Zip ties seem very strong and tough, but they break quite easily if you twist the bolt they're connected to.

I'd recommend learning to tie the cave knot. It's not that complicated. An evening in front of the TV practicing and you'll never have to think about it again.

JahJahwarrior
07-25-2007, 11:49
I've had the same ziptie on the thing for 6 months or so, and it hasn't broken. I know in some applications they do break easily, but I've never had a problem here.

And I actually don't have a problem with breakaway things, but I don't see the point in using them on my SPG. If I was using a clip to hold an octo on something, then yes, I would use an oring.

I should learn the cave knot, and when Ineed to tie it, I can, I just sit and look at pictures for a while before trying :) But you know that one knot where you make a loop and then the rabbit goes back through the loop, or something like that? I love tha tknot, but i have to look at one already tied to figure it out. Sometimes I can do it fast, other times it takes me forever. Hand eye cooridnation isn't my thing. :)

CompuDude
07-25-2007, 11:53
Grog is your friend if you ever have knot questions. Now if only we could get him to add the Cave Knot to his page! LOL

http://www.animatedknots.com/

loudgonzo
07-25-2007, 15:19
Grog is your friend if you ever have knot questions. Now if only we could get him to add the Cave Knot to his page! LOL

You know, I keep bookmarking all these links with the intent to quickly find a link, but now I have so many links bookmarked that I can't find what I'm looking for quicklysmileys/smiley18.gif

techgnostic
07-26-2007, 00:57
I like the feel of brass as well :) You use trigger clips...haven't seen many people using those on SCUBA. Most people use...eh....single ended double enders :) or suicide clips/mariner's clips. The latter are very not-DIR, and they cost about the same, so I always go with double enders or the single ended version of a double ender.....:) Any particular reason you choose to use trigger clips, other than you use them in other sports than SCUBA? A

And does anyone have any particular reason that trigger clips are good or bad for scuba?

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I like the large, easy to operate flange of the trigger snap. Stick a thumb on it and push...gloves or not. I don't always get a good 'grip' with the tiny thumb actuator of the normal snap bolt. </DIV>

techgnostic
07-26-2007, 00:59

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>that might be too specialized, even for Grog.</DIV>

JahJahwarrior
07-26-2007, 07:45
Makes sense, Techgnostic. I don't like how they open like a mouth and you have to stick something inside....it's not that I would not use them, it's that I'd rather use other things.

Then again, if I was wearing gloves, I would probably be more willing to use them:)

3rdEye
07-26-2007, 08:41
You know, I keep bookmarking all these links with the intent to quickly find a link, but now I have so many links bookmarked that I can't find what I'm looking for quicklysmileys/smiley18.gif

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>you should try using this: http://del.icio.us/</DIV>

techgnostic
07-27-2007, 12:53
Makes sense, Techgnostic. I don't like how they open like a mouth and you have to stick something inside....it's not that I would not use them, it's that I'd rather use other things.

Then again, if I was wearing gloves, I would probably be more willing to use them:)

Ah, would we could design the perfect hardware...but alas, it is not to be. (Unless you know a metal fabricator.)

DirtyWaterIL
07-28-2007, 12:21
zip ties. cheap and easy

cummings66
07-29-2007, 11:30
For the million dollar question, why are they always priced around $10?

cummings66
07-29-2007, 11:31
zip ties. cheap and easy

But don't use it on gear you can't afford to lose. I've had them break on me so I won't use them. They're strong in the beginning, but you can't tell when they're weakened until it's too late.

frankc420
07-29-2007, 17:34
I haven't put bolt snaps on any of my stuff yet but that's the next thing on the list. I have a 7' hose so I'll need one on that. My backup light will have one too. This thread came at a good time :)

TxHockeyGuy
07-29-2007, 18:12
zip ties. cheap and easy

But don't use it on gear you can't afford to lose. I've had them break on me so I won't use them. They're strong in the beginning, but you can't tell when they're weakened until it's too late.

You can put two on and that generally prevents them from twisting at all, which is in my experience what seems to weaken them. I also replace them annually, just in case. The only problem with putting two zip ties on is that it does make it much more difficult to break the equipment away if that is your primary concern.

CompuDude
07-30-2007, 13:51
For the million dollar question, why are they always priced around $10?
Industry conspiracy. ;-)

I usually get mine at TechDivingLimited. They have sales on a regular basis and you can pick up most for around $5 each (some a little more, others a little less). I buy a bunch at once, and try to group it with other purchases, to save on S&H costs. Really brings down the price compared to any urgent bolt snap needs at the LDS, which end up costing $8-12.

One of these days I'll place a big order at the Nix Dog Collars place, which brings the price a little lower, but you have to want like 20 at once, so I've been content to order 5-10 at a time from TDL instead. I'm pretty well stocked up at the moment.

frankc420
07-31-2007, 08:37
Why not use the SS snap bolts that are sold at Home Depot? They are like $1.50 each I believe!?

CompuDude
07-31-2007, 12:32
Why not use the SS snap bolts that are sold at Home Depot? They are like $1.50 each I believe!?
Because they don't have SS springs. Rust City!

loudgonzo
07-31-2007, 13:19
Because they don't have SS springs. Rust City!

Good info, I didn't know that.

mona
09-26-2008, 12:04
Great info on a few threads about how to attach bolt snaps to various gear/accessories/equipment...I note that some prefer brass snaps and others stainless steel.
Just wondered about the nickle plated snaps...are those best avoided for diving (primarily in fresh water and on rare occasion in salt water)? I assume those are prone to easily rust and/or malfunction compared to SS or brass.

CompuDude
09-26-2008, 14:27
Great info on a few threads about how to attach bolt snaps to various gear/accessories/equipment...I note that some prefer brass snaps and others stainless steel.
Just wondered about the nickle plated snaps...are those best avoided for diving (primarily in fresh water and on rare occasion in salt water)? I assume those are prone to easily rust and/or malfunction compared to SS or brass.

Brass is cheaper. That's it's sole advantage over SS. Other than that, Brass is inferior in every way. It gets "textured" over time, and does not slide as smoothly. It's also a soft metal which self-shapens with use. Eventually you end up with cuts on your thumb (I've seen people draw blood) from working the gate.

SS is worth the extra few bucks.

Avoid anything other than SS or brass like the plague. It'll rust out in no time.

Even with SS you have to be careful to get marine-grade snaps, since there are many cases where cheap SS snaps purchased from cheap shops have a non-SS spring inside, which leaves you with a dead SS snap in short order.

ReefHound
09-26-2008, 14:34
It gets "textured" over time, and does not slide as smoothly. It's also a soft metal which self-shapens with use. Eventually you end up with cuts on your thumb (I've seen people draw blood) from working the gate.

Just check your snaps periodically and file it smooth. Shouldn't be hard, after all brass is a soft metal.

mona
09-27-2008, 22:37
I looked a bit more closely at some snaps I picked up some time ago...they are marine grade that's why I'picked them up...I thought they were SS but in fact they are chrome plated brass...they'll do till I get SS snaps.

Came across some bronze snaps at the 'hardware' store. Any difference in the two other than brass= copper + zinc and bronze=copper + tin in terms of using them for diving application? Anyone use bronze snaps?

UCFKnightDiver
09-27-2008, 22:50
are snap bolts... bolt snaps??? never heard them called that. As for the brass cutting your fingers I have an old one I was using the other day, and yes my thumb is cut now!!!! get SS its worth it. to and if its good it shouldnt rust.

Heres an example, in extremely complex cave diving, ie the stuff the wkpp might do, a setup team drops stages, and sets up for the dives, rather than spending the time and money after the dive is finished, they sometimes just leave the used stage bottles/saftey/deco bottles in there. After a year I saw one that had been taken out after being in there for a year. A al 80 that was acctually extremly oxidized so yes AL does rust, but the SS bolt snap used looked almost new. (current creates a bit of a charge while runnig over the AL, and speeds up oxidization)

fire diver
09-28-2008, 04:12
I looked a bit more closely at some snaps I picked up some time ago...they are marine grade that's why I'picked them up...I thought they were SS but in fact they are chrome plated brass...they'll do till I get SS snaps.

Came across some bronze snaps at the 'hardware' store. Any difference in the two other than brass= copper + zinc and bronze=copper + tin in terms of using them for diving application? Anyone use bronze snaps?

Bronze will do the same thing as brass. Buy the right equipment the first time, buy SS.

Aussie
09-28-2008, 05:33
I use cable ties and normally use two. I also just recieved some cable ties which have a SS tongue so that they are extra strong. I will replace everything with these new cable ties as they are bullet proof.

Regards Mark

marchand
09-28-2008, 23:14
SS bolt snaps are my favorite. I used to use brass, and still have a few on my rig that I'm working on phasing out. Brass bolt snaps will cut you sooner or later; in my case it was sooner. For a while I would cut myself on one on every dive, sometimes several times a dive. It really sucks when your five minutes into a dive and you notice that there is a good amount of blood coming off of your thumb, and of course you never notice when you actually got cut leaving you clueless as to which snap cut you.

That said, I have been cut by a SS bolt snap before. Sometimes the SS snaps have burs on them which need to be filled down.

MSilvia
09-29-2008, 09:52
(Brass is) also a soft metal which self-shapens with use. Eventually you end up with cuts on your thumb (I've seen people draw blood) from working the gate.
It might draw blood if you're lucky enough not to be wearing dry gloves. I prefer a cut thumb to ruined gear and 38 degree water flooding my suit.

cmburch
09-29-2008, 14:19
I have started using 5" SS tuna clips for attaching to my gear, boogie board, gun, calipers, irons, float lines, shooting lines, popper spearfishing float/SMB, kayak, etc.

I have change out all my old OSH brass boat clips for SS snap clips.

I use the brass boat clips for things that are not too critical like attaching a dry bag to the inflatable.

mike_s
09-29-2008, 16:29
anyone "maintenance" their snap bolts?

I mean squirt a little drop of oil or WD-40 in the action to keep it lubricated?

MSilvia
09-29-2008, 16:40
Yeah, I give 'em a drop of lube whenever they seem to be sticking a little.

beperkins
10-15-2008, 12:10
Thanks to all for the info, I was wondering the same thing as the OP the other day.