View Full Version : Rebreather training

PlatypusMan
07-24-2007, 13:38
Would you go for rebreather training?

Why or why not?

mwhities
07-24-2007, 14:28
No, I wouldn't.

It's to expensive. It's to much hands on with a lot of stuff that I don't care to learn about. To scary... die to quick if something isn't done correctly.

Michael

ertechsg
07-24-2007, 14:33
Too hardcore. Macho B.S.and yes expensive.

WaterRat
07-24-2007, 14:46
I would if I had a need for it. I guess the "need" would be defined as needing to significantlyextend my gas milage or in a situation where bubbles would interfere with the task.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

Ajuva
07-24-2007, 15:09
In real terms, if cost were no object, we all would I guess.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It's like anything else that has a bit of mystique about it.</DIV>

techgnostic
07-24-2007, 21:02
Only if I got all the other training that would go along with it...but sadly I'm over 30 (turned 36 in Feb.), so they wouldn't take me if I tried.

woody
07-24-2007, 22:50
Only if I got all the other training that would go along with it...but sadly I'm over 30 (turned 36 in Feb.), so they wouldn't take me if I tried.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What horse sh** is this? Over 30? Who did you talk to? I've never seen this requirement.</DIV>

PlatypusMan
07-24-2007, 22:56
<div></div>
<div>What horse sh** is this? Over 30? Who did you talk to? I've never seen this requirement.</div>

I think he's referring to military induction age limits for the rebreather training, not civilian recreational use.

techgnostic
07-24-2007, 23:00
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What horse sh** is this? Over 30? Who did you talk to? I've never seen this requirement.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sorry, I didn't clarify: Special Forces.

You can join the Army until 40-something, but you cannot volunteer for any of the interesting small-unit stuff after 30...I suppose the cost of training is so high, the need more years out of you to recoup.

I wouldn't want to risk a rebreather unless I got to HALO to the dive site first &amp; get hooked by a high speed zodiac for the egress. :)
</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-25-2007, 11:13
I would be interested if the cost of entry wasn't so high. I can barely afford to dive with OC. By the time I get enough money hopefully the newer models will have additional safety features as well.

ertechsg
07-25-2007, 11:17
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What horse sh** is this? Over 30? Who did you talk to? I've never seen this requirement.</DIV> Struck a nerve!

techgnostic
07-26-2007, 00:51
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What horse sh** is this? Over 30? Who did you talk to? I've never seen this requirement.</DIV> Struck a nerve!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I guess I must have. But I am torked about the &lt;30 thing...I feel like I am in considerably better condition than I was at 23, or 28.</DIV>

woody
07-26-2007, 01:46
Yep i guess so. I just hate it when I have to cut through some of the misconceptions on the various aspects of Technical Diving. I can understand the age limititations from the special operations group. Bummer that it's getting in your way.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Thanks,
<DIV>Woody</DIV>

techgnostic
07-26-2007, 01:54
Yep i guess so. I just hate it when I have to cut through some of the misconceptions on the various aspects of Technical Diving. I can understand the age limititations from the special operations group. Bummer that it's getting in your way.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Thanks,
<DIV>Woody</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>What ya' gonna' do?</DIV>

SiscoKid
08-01-2007, 19:03
Would you go for rebreather training?

Why or why not?

After you have gotten a few tec. courses behind you and decide to make some dive deep dives. You will be looking at CCR diving not as bad as you would think. I dive the Optima has all kinds of back up might be something to look at. http://www.diveriteexpress.com/rebreathers/optima.shtml

quarrydiver
09-11-2007, 22:18
Yeah, i wouldn't mind trying it but the instructors here don't want to put that much money into the equipment.