PDA

View Full Version : Stockton Lake, December 17

Dark Wolf
12-17-2007, 17:23
Well unfortunately for all of you reading this, it is my turn to write the report!

The day started off at 0500 and was.....................COLD! I met up with Lineman Larry at Burger King here in Nevada at 0700. He followed me to my apartment and we loaded all of my gear out of my car and into his truck. We stopped by my Dad's house to grab my tent and poles, then we were on the road to clayhwalker's house. We spent a little while there checking out his home improvement project that turned out great! He doesn't look like Bob Villa, but he can lay tile like a pro!

We arrived at the dive site, on the West end of 215 bridge, at about 0900 or so and began to set up camp. CW brought a kerosene heater to compliment the tent and we soon had those items set up and the heat was starting to feel good.

In the mean-time I started a fire (with much heckling from the audience!) and we got some water on to warm to pour down the wetsuits (for some reason Lineman Larry didn't want us to pour water down his drysuit to help keep HIM warm).

After thawing out my suit (while putting up with more heckling), we got geared up for dive #1 and entered the water where I promptly lost a fin! After about 5 minutes of searching the fin was found and we continued with getting in the water. We did a short surface swim to get to the area that we wanted to dive. I should mention here that CW had decided to dive with his gargantuan can light. Out of the water, I think it weighs somewhere in the one TON range!
We had discussed things during the surface swim, and had decided that if we should become separated that we all felt comfortable continuing the dive solo. It was 1109, so we decided that we would end the dive no later than 1145. This was agreed upon and we descended.

Vis was minimal, as was expected (1-5'). After we submerged, I could not seem to find anyone. I stopped, picked up a rock and spent a couple of minutes banging it on the bottom of my left tank. After waiting a few minutes and thinking that I heard someone returning my call (which very easily could have been wishfull thinking!), I made the call to continue the dive. I found a nice tree stump to tie off our dive float in 22' of water. I took off heading SE when I had the bright idea "I should clip off my reel and lay line. I can use the practice and maybe they (assuming "they" are still together) might come across the line, and follow it to me." Backtracked and clipped off the line and continued to head in a roughly SE direction. Had to turn my light on at about 35'.

Ended up with a max depth of 51' when I decided to turn the dive and check on everyone else. I began reeling my line in, and was almost to my tie off point when the reel quit working. I had been trying to keep the line tight so that it would not turn into a bird's nest. But in complete disregard to all my efforts, I ended up with a bird's nest anyway. Luckily, I was nearly to the bouy line, and was not a big deal. I left the float in place and started to ascend. Finished my safety stop and surface very close to where I had dropped at. After about a minute, I saw CW surface and began looking for LL. He surfaced shortly thereafter, thankfully.

Dive #1 ended with 23 minutes of bottom time, with a max depth of 51' and a low temp of 49. Vis was variable from between 1-5'.

We did a nice long SI and warmed up in the tent while telling lies and acting like we believed them! The heater we were using was designed to heat a large house, and worked well in a SMALL tent. When no one was looking I cranked it up to high and it went to town. I don't think that anyone noticed until it got to the point that the heat took your breath away when you stood up! We then proceeded to head back out (with wetsuits steaming) to get geared up for #2.

Dive #2 we did the surface swim to the bouy with the same agreement on becoming separated. We went down the bouy line, and as we neared the bottom LL signaled that he was having trouble with his mask and was going back up. CW had decided to use his reel/wench on this dive, so I let him tie off and we went. Before long LL caught up with us and had his problem taken care of. We made it to 52' and thought that CW had called the dive, so LL and I turned around and began following the line back. When we got to the bouy line, CW was nowhere to be found. We waited for a minute or so and decided to go look for him. In our defense, from just a few feet away you could not even see each others lights very well. In places the vis was only a foot or so. After some hand signals, we took off to look for him. We passed his second tie off point and (almost literally) ran into him soon after.

We all made it back to the bouy line and I reeled it up while we made our ascent.
Stats for dive #2: Max depth of 52', bottom time of 26 minutes, and low temp of 48F.
We warmed up in the tent again and started to break up camp. The warm water in the suits helped a lot (you made a believer out of me CRNA), and we had a couple of good challenging dives

In closing, my thanks to LL and CW for a couple of fun dives. And my apologies to the rest for such a long-winded report! I will have to defer you all to LL and CW for their report on dive #1!

DW

DivingCRNA
12-17-2007, 19:54
Nice report, man!

Who gets to write up New Year's Day? I imagine I will write up the St. Thomas dives.... Maybe we can get Beka to write one up! :smiley20:

Well unfortunately for all of you reading this, it is my turn to write the report!

The day started off at 0500 and was.....................COLD! I met up with Lineman Larry at Burger King here in Nevada at 0700. He followed me to my apartment and we loaded all of my gear out of my car and into his truck. We stopped by my Dad's house to grab my tent and poles, then we were on the road to clayhwalker's house. We spent a little while there checking out his home improvement project that turned out great! He doesn't look like Bob Villa, but he can lay tile like a pro!

We arrived at the dive site, on the West end of 215 bridge, at about 0900 or so and began to set up camp. CW brought a kerosene heater to compliment the tent and we soon had those items set up and the heat was starting to feel good.

In the mean-time I started a fire (with much heckling from the audience!) and we got some water on to warm to pour down the wetsuits (for some reason Lineman Larry didn't want us to pour water down his drysuit to help keep HIM warm).

After thawing out my suit (while putting up with more heckling), we got geared up for dive #1 and entered the water where I promptly lost a fin! After about 5 minutes of searching the fin was found and we continued with getting in the water. We did a short surface swim to get to the area that we wanted to dive. I should mention here that CW had decided to dive with his gargantuan can light. Out of the water, I think it weighs somewhere in the one TON range!
We had discussed things during the surface swim, and had decided that if we should become separated that we all felt comfortable continuing the dive solo. It was 1109, so we decided that we would end the dive no later than 1145. This was agreed upon and we descended.

Vis was minimal, as was expected (1-5'). After we submerged, I could not seem to find anyone. I stopped, picked up a rock and spent a couple of minutes banging it on the bottom of my left tank. After waiting a few minutes and thinking that I heard someone returning my call (which very easily could have been wishfull thinking!), I made the call to continue the dive. I found a nice tree stump to tie off our dive float in 22' of water. I took off heading SE when I had the bright idea "I should clip off my reel and lay line. I can use the practice and maybe they (assuming "they" are still together) might come across the line, and follow it to me." Backtracked and clipped off the line and continued to head in a roughly SE direction. Had to turn my light on at about 35'.

Ended up with a max depth of 51' when I decided to turn the dive and check on everyone else. I began reeling my line in, and was almost to my tie off point when the reel quit working. I had been trying to keep the line tight so that it would not turn into a bird's nest. But in complete disregard to all my efforts, I ended up with a bird's nest anyway. Luckily, I was nearly to the bouy line, and was not a big deal. I left the float in place and started to ascend. Finished my safety stop and surface very close to where I had dropped at. After about a minute, I saw CW surface and began looking for LL. He surfaced shortly thereafter, thankfully.

Dive #1 ended with 23 minutes of bottom time, with a max depth of 51' and a low temp of 49. Vis was variable from between 1-5'.

We did a nice long SI and warmed up in the tent while telling lies and acting like we believed them! The heater we were using was designed to heat a large house, and worked well in a SMALL tent. When no one was looking I cranked it up to high and it went to town. I don't think that anyone noticed until it got to the point that the heat took your breath away when you stood up! We then proceeded to head back out (with wetsuits steaming) to get geared up for #2.

Dive #2 we did the surface swim to the bouy with the same agreement on becoming separated. We went down the bouy line, and as we neared the bottom LL signaled that he was having trouble with his mask and was going back up. CW had decided to use his reel/wench on this dive, so I let him tie off and we went. Before long LL caught up with us and had his problem taken care of. We made it to 52' and thought that CW had called the dive, so LL and I turned around and began following the line back. When we got to the bouy line, CW was nowhere to be found. We waited for a minute or so and decided to go look for him. In our defense, from just a few feet away you could not even see each others lights very well. In places the vis was only a foot or so. After some hand signals, we took off to look for him. We passed his second tie off point and (almost literally) ran into him soon after.

We all made it back to the bouy line and I reeled it up while we made our ascent.
Stats for dive #2: Max depth of 52', bottom time of 26 minutes, and low temp of 48F.
We warmed up in the tent again and started to break up camp. The warm water in the suits helped a lot (you made a believer out of me CRNA), and we had a couple of good challenging dives

In closing, my thanks to LL and CW for a couple of fun dives. And my apologies to the rest for such a long-winded report! I will have to defer you all to LL and CW for their report on dive #1!

DW

snagel
12-18-2007, 05:43
Nice report DW....hey, I sent you a PM...let me know.

S. Nagel

Dark Wolf
12-18-2007, 09:30
Here is a link to the topside pics that were taken yesterday.

Stockton Lake December 17, 2007 (http://www.netnotworking.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=4338)