PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Military Divers clean curacao reef!!!

fyrediver
12-17-2007, 17:53
Most of us stationed in Curacao had our Christmas party at "Hooks Hut" cleaning the reef where years of abuse from it being used as a land fill or something. Scuba divers would bag and bring up debri from the reef, up to about 10' where snorklers and shoremen would drag the tons, and I do mean tons, of filth and trash from the once healthy reef. over 200 people, logistically tasked like a "Military operaton" stunned the beach owners, and delighted the Palemento people with the amount we drug up. The assult for many was three well prodctive dives. Grid patterns were used to leave no beer can or tire safe from our diving fighting men and women. We could have had a fatty meal at one of the resorts, be decided to give our efforts to show the locals just how bad ONE of their places was when it is used as a dump, and it kills the reef, and the fish move on, etc. Within moments of both "attacks" the vis went to like swimming in milk. I now know how an Oreo feels. Proper buddy care and safety minded leaders kept all well and safe. We hope, and we pray, that just MABEY a seed was planted, and the Islanders may one day stop treating their island as a toilet.

I would love to post pix, but I've got none at an url: yet.

1_T_Sub
12-17-2007, 21:40
Great Job!

Daved
12-17-2007, 22:25
From what I hear --job well done. Every Day is a Learning day--

fisheater
12-17-2007, 22:57
Thanks for doing this, not only for the people of Curacao and for the people of the U.S., but for our planet.

Well done and we're all proud of you guys & gals.

Keep up the great work.

BoomerNJ
12-18-2007, 04:25
Awesome! Thank you!

Cheddarchick
12-18-2007, 05:01
OH my goodness.....Having dived there last year.. I can't begin to tell you how great you guys are, it was a complete mess...We are coming down to Curacao in Feb....Anything you guys want just ask.....I love our military guys & gals!!!! Lets plan on meeting at the divebus, I'll buy the drinks

fyrediver
12-18-2007, 05:17
awwwwww, nuts!!! our group, the firemen divers, will be gone by then. Are replacements will be around. I don't know how many dive. Westpunt is where I like to dive the best. "Alice in Wonderland," and "Watamula" rock. We get to stop and dive in Bonaire for three days of diving on the way home,so we want to know the top "3" over their.

Thanks, for all the thanks. I had a real good time being good to the sea, my new friend.

Cheddarchick
12-18-2007, 06:13
If I know the firefighters, most will become certified while stationed in Paradise.....Is anyone there from WI or the neighboring states?? Or coming in from there?? Last year we met the best bunch of guys from Tenn and Minnesota

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 07:42
This is a great example of what we all can - big things happen in little ways.

scubaculture
12-18-2007, 08:12
Well done to all of you!

fyrediver
12-19-2007, 08:10
Back at your question, Cheddar chick: you are SO right, the odds are, many of our replacements wil take up SCUBA, as did we!! the crew coming down here, when your here, is a hodge podge of nine different units. We DO have two cheedar heads here now. They are both OW, but didn't keep up with it after that. They did do the reef clean up,though. If you want to "find" the firemen when your here? ask the shops where they are taking classes, and my best guess right now, would be, "Hooks Hut," as he is cutting us the best prices by a mile. If that dosen't pan out, go to the Holiday Beach Hotel, between 5-7pm nightly, and "troll" the inside and outside, "Tanga bar." no less than half of those guys will be the Fire guy's, everytime. Do let me warn you, 99% of us, although pirates by nature, are good folks, and are social, make friends quickly, and are protective of others.(cop groupies tend to be into weird stuff, fire groupies are looking for a husband and father, NOT saying that's you, just what I see over the years.) The other 1%?will attempt to stalk you into their rooms if your under the age of 80, still breathing and happen to be female. Just keep that in mind when you make contact, unless that sounds like fun, and if it dosen't, still make friends, 'cause the other 99% will pull the whorehound off of you right now. Theres always at least one bad apple in every barrel. Once you get to know the 99% of the good guy's? you'll have best freinds that you can trust, and will have your back, everytime. Lastly, being pirates, we can drink most humans into a coma. If thats not you? pace yourself, please. I can't count the times that people go out with a group of Firemen, and need to be carried out of the bar and put to bed. Be comforted knowing we wouldn't leave you there!! but it wouldn't be hard to find us. If I see peeps on the list from your way, I'll PM 'ya on dat'

Cheddarchick
12-19-2007, 14:27
Man Fyre, you made my day....As an old married woman the thought of being carried away made me laugh my butt off. I have many cops and FF as friends. You are high in my estimation, all of you because of they way you risk your lives everyday. Plus you guys are great to party with, (coming from an old married safe woman).

fyrediver
12-19-2007, 16:36
Then that makes you double safe, and off limits:smiley36: I'm 42 and married, even here. Please don't mistake my last post! I was in no way implying that you were a groupie, at all. I was just giving you an honest run down of the pirate culture that comes with being a Fireman. I respect and treat female Firemen as long as they live by, "the code," too. But being female, you're not a mail carrier, you are a female FIREMAN. no more than I would be a barber if I worked in a salon. When you asked about the guy's from up 'der, I thought you may know some. I've went to all kinds of places with your homies, and the way they talk and some of the sayings just floor me. We got two out of fourty guys here, right now that act per my last post. We TRY to use "bunker justice," to correct these things. Two weeks ago, at Jan teil, a couple of teenage Dutch chicks were laying out, sans top. I admit it, I had one quick look, out of the corner of my sunglasses ( they were nice ) and went about my dive off the house reef. THESE two guys, just stood five feet from the two for at least an hour, drooling over them like morons. AHHHGG WE HATE THOSE GUYS oh, they are from West Virginia, whatever that means. Thank you, for the warm regards about what I do for a living, full, AND part time. I can't imagine what life would be like for doing anything else. ( I retire in four years, dive Instructor here or Bon Aire?:smiley2:) I just wanted you to have the whole picture if you look up the new guys you'll find some great friends. Age ranges from 19-58, so sorry if you read my meaning the wrong way. I'm so sad I'm outta' here jan 8th. Then back to cold, grey ohio :smiley19:

Cheddarchick
12-19-2007, 18:08
Absolutely no harm no foul....I have met many guys stationed there, we have been going there for 3 years straight for vacation. And as a wise Doctor told me when I was 9 months pregnant and very sad at the shape I was in, "honey, all men look, It doesn't matter where they get their appietite as long as they eat at home"

fyrediver
12-19-2007, 20:43
Well, my wife had the good fortune, to be able to come down and visit. She has given me three wonderful children, yet has kept her shape and playfull demeanor that makes my house, my home. I was under employed when we married, and we for the most part, did the J.O.P. deal. I bought her wedding band from JC-Pennys. I was able to give her the honeymoon she always deserved, but never had. It was one of the best weeks of my life. I had a DM that I made friends with take her on a discovery dive with me at Alice in wonderland. My wife is afraid of ants, but really was calm and enjoyed the ride. I bought her one of those yesterday, today, and tommorow rings she has always dreamed of in Punda. It makes her wedding band look like a brass washer. I will miss my kids Christmas morning, but that happens every other holiday, anyway. Someone has to be at the house. Like I said, were big hearted guys, we can't help it if 1-2 weirdos sneak in. Home is where the heart is, but my day dreams will forever be in tropical waters :smiley31:

Cheddarchick
12-20-2007, 04:50
You aand your wife are special people, I give thanks you found each other.