PDA

View Full Version : Not on your life!

PlatypusMan
07-24-2007, 13:43
Who would you NOT dive with, if paired up on a typical dive charter as an IstaBuddy(r)?

Note that I am asking about types of people, not for specifics like names, etc.

How would you go about making certain that this did NOT happen?

mwhities
07-24-2007, 13:43
Strokes, don't dive with stroke.

Michael

mwhities
07-24-2007, 13:46
Ok, I'm picking. I would want to say people that look like they just bought their gear. I can't though, I just bought all of mine and it spanky looking new.
I'll dive with anyone that has all of their gear stowed properly. If they are going to a big stride or back roll off a boat and their SPG/Octo/anything else is hanging free, I will call the dive.

if I do dive with someone that keeps their gear tidy but, they careless about being a buddy underwater, I'll call the dive. If they don't plan to be a team and actually dive together, I'll pass.

I'm sure there are other things as well but, I'll stop for now..

Michael

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2007, 13:53
I just check their mask strap. If it doesn't say ScubaToys... I'm out of there!smileys/smiley2.gif

94GTStang
07-24-2007, 13:53
People who bought their gear online

Just kidding. smileys/smiley36.gif

ScubaToys Larry
07-24-2007, 13:56
Of course I'm just kidding... If it doesn't say ScubaToys - it's a chance to make a new customer!

I don't mind diving with someone who doesn't know what they are doing - heck, I'm a course director and instructor - I do that all the time. It's only if I try to make a suggestion on something and they blow me off as "I know everything" attitude that I won't dive with them.

I learn from everyone I can on every dive - and if someone does not want input and assistance - I assume I; 1) could have trouble with them, and 2) not enjoy the company.

PlatypusMan
07-24-2007, 14:03
If they don't plan
to be a team and actually dive together, I'll pass.

I believe that's referred to as "Same Ocean, Same Buddy" (or something to that effect).

I don't mind diving with someone who doesn't know what they are doing - heck, I'm a course director and instructor - I do that all the time.

Good point...I probably should have made the condition "Outside of a training situation" in the original post.

tc_rain
07-24-2007, 14:21
I think someone would have to do something really stupid, like put their BC on backwards, for me not to try diving with them once. If they did something ridiculously unsafe during the dive, I would not dive with them again. We were all beginners and have looked to others for experience; therefore, I don’t mind helping the next person out. However, I will not risk my life because the other diver is too stupid to learn or take GOOD advice. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

WaterRat
07-24-2007, 14:56
I think you can usually look at a person and see if they have their stuff squared away or not. I knowI don't want to be 100 feet down and not know how this person is going to handle a stressful situation. I would be happy to dive with them on the shallow reef where I'm not pushing up against NDL's. See how that goes and then go from there.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 17:09
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Anyone that say's "see you at the bottom!" during the dive briefing. </DIV>

Joew
07-24-2007, 17:37
I'm a DM, so I'll dive with pretty much anybody so long as they're certified and have appropriate training/experience for the given dive.

TxHockeyGuy
07-24-2007, 17:38
1. If the diver is a know it all and obviously doesn't.
2. If they diver does not know how to put their own gear together AND is unwilling to take advice/learn.
3. If the divers skills are so bad they are a danger to themselves and others AND they are unwilling to take advice/learn.
4. A diver who refuses to stay within close contact/visual contact when in buddy team.

JahJahwarrior
07-24-2007, 19:05
I dove with my uncle once. He hadn't been diving in several years, we went n a trip on a cruise, so a DM was keeping an eye on us. He actually did suprisingly well.

I'll dive with anyone who I think can make it out of the water alive. If I really think I'll spend the entire dive babysitting someone, or that they'll call the dive a minute in because they are out of air or cold or something, well, I might speak with the DM about it, or just refuse to meet them to dive,if it's a local spring or something. As long as the person looks like they cantake care of themselves, that's cool. If they look really bad, I grab my regs that has no octo, then make sure they see it while I'm setting up. "What happens if I run out of air?" "You die. I only have one reg." "gulp. I'm gonna find a different buddy." When new buddy shows up, I put on the other set of regs :) Or I tell the guy that if I run out of air, it's my fault and I don't explect him to help, and the same will have to be true of him, unless he wants to learn how to buddy breathe. :)

Rascal1933
07-24-2007, 19:14
<DIV>"What happens if I run out of air?" "You die. I only have one reg."</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Hey JahJahwarrior, I like your buddy selection process &gt; funny too! http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-25-2007, 06:01
i would not dive with my brothers buddy during certification...
hes the guy that would float by... upside down, 40ft deep... no control for like minutes at a time... underwater he was like "look here... big fish" and my brother would say ok... lets go, and he would go "BIG FISH" BIG FISH" RIGHT HERE...

he was a muscle man... took like 45#'s to keep him down the first day in the pool... he was down to like half of that for the dives though..
he did manage to hit my brother in the head with his tank on one of his uncontrollable upside down floating moments.
i would not go in the water near him.. to dangerous.

cummings66
07-25-2007, 07:41
I dive with almost anybody given the appropriate dive conditions. I've told my dive shops I do business with that if they have a new OW diver wanting a buddy to ring me up, I'll dive with them.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have a couple things I look for, that's a diver who's not into bragging or tries to show off. Those people are usually covering for deficient skills. I would avoid them by having a buddy in place already if it was on a boat. In fact normally I get on a boat size up the divers and start chatting with the ones I consider potential buddies. At some point we'll buddy up before the DM gets to it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>One of the ways I look for a good diver is how he handles his gear as he's getting ready, the other is how soon he gets to the boat. Of course that doesn't mean a lot because one of my good dive buddies who's got it together is usually there right as they're getting ready to leave, he's always in a nick of time.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>In the end, I read a diver, approach and befriend, and buddy up before the official DM pairing up happens. At the local quarries I will dive with anybody.</DIV>

Moxie
07-25-2007, 07:49
I will dive with almost everyone. The only person I would not dive with is the really pushy, bossy ones predive. I've found that once under they are still that way.

94GTStang
07-25-2007, 08:11
I just check their mask strap. If it doesn't say ScubaToys... I'm out of there!smileys/smiley2.gif

Good thing my mask strap says Scubatoys on it. I remember getting the sales pitches during my open water class and then when it came time for the pool, I had ScubaToys clearly labeled on the back of my head smileys/smiley36.gif

ertechsg
07-25-2007, 08:34
I'll dive with anyone untilthey put me in an OOA situation.

paulwall
07-25-2007, 13:35
Strokes, don't dive with stroke.

Michael

Any of those black-suited, Hog-harness wearing, longhose wielding neanderthals, spouting "You're gear is going to kill you" over and over.smileys/smiley36.gif

I tell my regular dive charters to put me with newer divers. I watch over them, and offer advice, if it's needed and wanted. Haven't lost one, yet.

Harshal
07-25-2007, 14:11
If it’s a shallow dive with good visibility and not much current, like ideal conditions, I would be ok to dive with new dive buddy.
Now if someone does not know how to assemble the gear, or missing scuba toys strap I will be getting jittering diving with them…….lol
Most of the time most of the divers are pretty cool, its just sometimes either they are over excited or something, one time I had this couple dive with me and I guess either they had this new camera or something they would come and bump into you coz they wanted to get closer to the reef to take pictures……… was annoying I can tell that………lol
But we survived and nobody was hurt or killed …….LMAO I just made sure I was either saying little behind that couple or ahead of that couple and not with them……..lol

cummings66
07-25-2007, 15:34
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who's willing and actually asked to be buddied with new divers. We've all got to start somewhere and we all make mistakes.
<DIV></DIV>

ParrotheadDiver
07-25-2007, 15:49
2. If they diver does not know how to put their own gear together AND is unwilling to take advice/learn.
3. If the divers skills are so bad they are a danger to themselves and others AND they are unwilling to take advice/learn.
4. A diver who refuses to stay within close contact/visual contact when in buddy team.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'm with you....on your points...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>your right anyone that is a know it all and talks non stop get me away from them....</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>or ifanyone asks the question "do you know how this thing works"? right before you go in the water</DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-26-2007, 13:39
My Mom!

loudgonzo
07-27-2007, 10:24
Celebrities

Ajuva
07-27-2007, 18:08
Hannibal Lecter!!!

He might just think it was a soup.

Vercingetorix
07-29-2007, 07:51
My pet peeve. I always try to remain in visual contact with buddy. Always. I check for buddy probably at least every 15 seconds. In low viz environment (such as TxHockeyGuy and I had at Athens), even 15 seconds is often enough. If buddy went further than 4 feet, he was just a dim shadow. He and I were probably within two feet of each other during first tour of Rescue weekend.

This contrasts with my OW buddy. The instructor had to talk with him three times about his (lack of) buddy skills. Even threatened to fail him if he could not locate his buddy (me) within 5 seconds underwater or not within 10 feet (max viz at CSSP in January). "Who would I not dive with?" Answer: my OW "buddy"

quarrydiver
09-11-2007, 22:34

exactly! I like the new divers but I don't try to take them beyond their comfort level. I was on a boat where an "instructor" (not associated with the boat) took a newly certified OW diver to 160 feet. That's incredibly stupid.

Capt Hook
09-12-2007, 00:46
The loud mouth expert who has "been there dove that"!

DevilDiver
09-12-2007, 01:09
Nerves........ It's all about comfort. Not being the "New guy" or the "Old salt". You can see it in there eyes. Thrill-seekers, Big-Talkers, I have such and such issues but I will be OK....... Some people just can't be comfotable with themself..... How could you expect them to be reliable in an emergency situation.

Capt Hook
09-12-2007, 08:33
Did a 15' dive once with a Friend who started diving in the Early 60s, never again he had no idea about buddy diving. Could not keep track of him at all.

quarrydiver
09-12-2007, 09:04
Nerves........ It's all about comfort. Not being the "New guy" or the "Old salt". You can see it in there eyes. Thrill-seekers, Big-Talkers, I have such and such issues but I will be OK....... Some people just can't be comfotable with themself..... How could you expect them to be reliable in an emergency situation.

Big talkers and thrill seekers always seem to be the worst. Confidence is good but over confidence can get you in trouble.

diverdad
09-12-2007, 19:00
i watch the people before the dive to see if they know what they are doing right or wrong and see what kind of person they are, confident and kowledgable or timid and unsure. as being a newbie i prefer to dive with more experienced divers so that i can learn more.

CrzyJay456
09-12-2007, 19:10
i don't dive with Rambo, Speed Racer, Speedy Gonzales etc...
if you're gonna swim around at 100 miles per hour, and me ( a girl) having to try to keep up with you... screw it, im done. i dont dive with incompetent people either.
fortunately im pretty set with my dive buddy, and dont have to worry so much about it.

tnfireman
09-12-2007, 19:15
I'll dive with just about anybody, at least once.

Osprey
09-12-2007, 19:20
Well, not speaking with experience, I would assume most anyone can make a fine buddy as long as they are willing to communicate clearly and are there simply to enjoy the day, not race off and do whatever they want regardless of your existence.

Flatliner
09-12-2007, 19:57
I will generally try diving with anyone the first time. To be totally honest some of you guys wouldn't dive with me. I am still pretty new and learning. I have been known to stir up a little muck, etc.

However, my last instabuddy lost me and the other team member in our trio on a low vis dive, (translate Nebraska) and NEVER EVEN BOTHERED LOOKING FOR US. We looked for him until we surfaced and got ready to start a search and finally found him tooling around the "sunken boat" in 20 feet without a care in the world. He then preceded to ditch us again in short order.

I won't be diving with him again ever.

Divingguy
09-12-2007, 21:18
On a deep dive, more than 80', I want someone who demonstrates familiarity with their own gear, an interest in doing pre-dive buddy checks, and the ability to understand and then stick with a dive Plan.
On a shallow dive, I am more lenient. I actually enjoy diving with Noobs who will be honest about their concerns. and are there to learn about diving and being a good buddy.

bversteegh
09-12-2007, 23:57
Photographers are lousy buddies (looking in the mirror here) - they should only dive with other photographers or a buddy that is willing be a spotter/model and won't be frustrated to dive at the photographers pace.

IMHO - you should never buddy up a new diver with a photographer, no matter how conscientious they are - unless they leave the camera in the boat. When you are really concentrating on getting a picture, you pay little attention to what is going on around you. If I have a really good subject and no one else is waiting to get a picture, I can easily spend 5 to 10 minutes in one place working the subject.

medicdiver
09-13-2007, 08:41
If the person I am to dive with doesn't seem concerned with making a dive plan or signals then I will call the dive. For example, my normal buddy and I were getting ready to do a 90 ft dive when the LDS asked us to take along another person. We didn't mind until we started talking about the dive plan. This person was looking around not paying attention and appeared not too concerned with what we had to say. My buddy and I gave each other a look and we changed the plan to a much shallower depth. Luckily when I entered the water my computer decided to act up and I called the dive. I will never again consider changing the dive plan because of someone else's lack of concern. I will just call the dive. We never dove with that person the rest of the weekend.

shooter3
12-27-2008, 09:27
I will dive with anyone. If they're a dope, I'll be there to protect them. There is one person I will never dive with again though!

I was diving with some friends off Oahu one sunny day, and I felt this thing poking me in the ribs. I turned around to see that my "buddy" had tucked his bang stick under his arm and was oblivious to the fact that he was hitting me in the ribs with it! Thank God the safty was on!!! I never dove, or spoke to him after that day, 35 years ago.

letonac
12-27-2008, 14:32
I will dive with anybody who has diving certificate. But as you already know sometimes this is not a proof for safety dives.
Im my opinion good/responsible diver can be recognize by:
1) listening pre-brief
2) properly assembling his/her equipment
3) relaxing behave (surface / under water)
4) under surface: diving according with plan, boddy contact during diving, frequently conversation)

After dive finnished all mistakes must be rocognize and realize by all divers. If someone still keeps his/her mistakes in next dives (specially those which are in close relation with diving safety) he/her will go out from my list of diving buddies.

imasinker
12-27-2008, 15:02
Don't judge a book by it's cover, not until you read a book can you determine if it is good or not!

Well I was a insta buddy a few times, and dove with a few insta buddies. I usually introduce myself, ask how long they been diving, things like what was the best dive they have had, to get a feel about their diving history. I make sure we talk about eachothers gear and safety and then dive. If I don't feel right, and I don't feel they are confident I won't dive with them.
If they act in any manner once we are below the surface that I feel is unsafe or careless I call the dive.

tndiverdude
12-28-2008, 12:36
OCD fake DIR divers.
I will dive with relaxed divers. Divers who are comfortable with what they are doing and enjoy it. But when it comes to OCD/DIRs who are not DIR trained but who are OCD fake DIRs i will just call in sick.
I do like to check out others gear and gve their stuff a try if they don't mind.

MConnelly2
01-02-2009, 16:51
Really depends on the dive. A shallow scallop dive - I won't dive with anyone that I see during the dive. Unless it's a good friend that I'm working with to bag up two bushels, shuck them together and just split them, if I see them then they're too close to the spot I'm trying to work. And people that want to eat but don't want to open. Or aren't calm and collected in the water. (Bay scallops never taste quite so good as when they're opened and eaten underwater)

But in general, I won't dive with mean people. I dive because it's so relaxing, so fun. I don't want to be exposed to negativity.

cole
01-02-2009, 22:13
any person who put their mask on the forehead.

cole

firstdive2005
01-02-2009, 22:44
I wont dive with someone who says they wont dive with someone else because they think their s@@t dont stink. Ah not really, I've been paired up with some real zingers they seem to disappear all on their own, I live by the rule that I am responsible for my safety. I wont chase anyone. If your OOA then dont drop 20ft on me and not let me know,cause your dead.:smiley2:

scubAfr33k
01-03-2009, 01:17
Considering I have no friends that dive regularly, every trip out for me is an insta-buddy situation. That being the case, I will dive with just about anyone, and I have in fact dived with a variety of different characters (One guy didn't even speak English! Thank God diving signals are more or less universal).

Because of the many comments I receive about how quiet and reserved I am, but how comfortable I look once under water, it would be hypocritical of me to judge someone based upon how insecure they might look on board the boat. Even when a man doesn't look confident, his skills may be better than his demeanor seems to portray (that is, he may believe himself to be under par when in fact he does an admirable job).

The only people I will refuse to partner with are those that think they will need to baby-sit me. I hate it when some jerk obviously doesn't take to the idea of diving with a younger man, and does a terrible job of hiding it. I am old enough to know what's what, thank you very much. Just because I still have more to learn doesn't mean that I need you to hold my hand.

boat
01-03-2009, 21:45
I just looked through my log. I dove with 16 different people this summer, only two of which I dove with before this year. I find it more useful to worry about me living up to their expectations than vice versa. I'm appreciative that these people were willing to instabuddy up with me and would be happy to dive with any of them again - I hope they feel the same way about me.

I probably would be hesitant to dive with someone who seriously used the expression "stroke" too many times.

Splitlip
01-03-2009, 22:06
I don't dive with instabuddies. I would rather go alone.

MConnelly2
01-04-2009, 19:35
Sharks, too. I won't dive with apex predators. Sharks eat people, I am a people, ergo, I don't want to dive with them.

PlatypusMan
01-04-2009, 21:09
This must be what a zombie thread looks like.

You post a topic, it eventually dies out, then is resurrected to a new, shambling life of it's own making.

Wow. At least it not looking to eat my brain.

scubAfr33k
01-04-2009, 22:09
Or is it....

(dun, dun, duuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnn) :003: :icon_eek:

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39:

UCFKnightDiver
01-05-2009, 09:27
any person who put their mask on the forehead.

cole

really? guess you wouldnt dive with me then.

kjvander
01-05-2009, 10:07
I wouldn't want to to dive with anyone that isn't willing to listen....if they don't want to talk over things first or plan anyhting out....then it's a done deal..

boat
01-05-2009, 11:47
This must be what a zombie thread looks like.

You post a topic, it eventually dies out, then is resurrected to a new, shambling life of it's own making.

Wow. At least it not looking to eat my brain.

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I didn't realize it was a "zombie" thread and fell right into. In my defense, there was a pretty full page of recent posts before I jumped in.

caroln
01-05-2009, 18:25
I dive with almost anyone, but I won't repeat if someone ignores a plan we made prior to the dive once we're in the water without good reason, especially if the part of the plan they fail to follow is gas reserves.