PDA

View Full Version : Heavy feet?

Scubastud16
12-17-2007, 23:33
I cannot stop my feet from sinking. It's awful!

I was in my pool the other day, adjusting my BP/W, and I have XS Scuba 3 or 2mm low-top boots. I was wearing my 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch, with a Henderson 5mm hood, an AL 80, and my AL plate/hog harness.

I was trying to get good trim for my upcoming cruise, but I could NOT keep my feet from sinking. Every try turned into a fin pivot drill!

So to attempt to counteract this problem, and get my feet in proper "cave" trim, I ordered some Tusa 5mm zippered high-top boots.

I use Tusa Tri-Ex fins, and they dont' seem to be terribly heavy. Maybe going to something like a Slipstream would help?

What are everyone's thoughts on how to get rid of this?

Thanks!

Danny

mitsuguy
12-17-2007, 23:47
where are your weights at?

try moving them higher up on your body.... sounds like a combination of heavy feet and too much weight low on your body - maybe move some to a tank band...

Airborne!
12-18-2007, 00:42
I had the exact same problem as you. Even having all my weight up high on my plate and making sure the tank is as high as practical I was still foot heavy. I got Pinnacle 7mm high tops and it helped a great deal. Enough to where I can control it better with the position of my legs by bending my knees.

One thing on the fins. It is not their weight, but their buoyancy that makes the difference. Just because a fin is light or heavy does not make it more or less positive or negative. One thing that really irks me about Fin Manufacturers is for the most part they never list the fins buoyancy. It seems like a small matter, but for people like you and me it would really be of great benefit.

PsychDiver
12-18-2007, 06:45
I think you are on the right track to start. More buoyant booties. And as posted - do your fins sink. I have Scubapro fins and they float. Might help. Just what you wanted to hear - right - another $200 for new fins. I'ld borrow some different fins and booties if you can to work out the problem before spending alot to get a different buoyancy.

keyshunter
12-18-2007, 09:14
I have a pair of Tusa Tri-ex fins. They are slightly positive, so that is not your problem. I have been tortured by muscular (read heavy) legs for most of my life. I carry my tank as high as I comfortably can and use high trim weights and thick booties to help maintain a level attitude in the water.

Scubastud16
12-18-2007, 12:09
In my 3mm, I require no additional weight to sink (weight test done "PADI" style at the beginning of a dive) with my BP/W in fresh water (aka my pool). They ONLY reason I had weight on my reg was 4 lbs up on the top tank band for trim. Boots are on the way, I guess I'll see how they do.

I thought the Tri-Ex's were buoyant as well. I hope the boots work!

Thanks everyone. Keep the suggestions coming.

Danny

UCFKnightDiver
12-19-2007, 11:43
My Tri Ex's are bouyant toss them in the pool and see if they float

Jas0n
01-14-2008, 14:26
I had the exact same problem as you. Even having all my weight up high on my plate and making sure the tank is as high as practical I was still foot heavy. I got Pinnacle 7mm high tops and it helped a great deal. Enough to where I can control it better with the position of my legs by bending my knees.

One thing on the fins. It is not their weight, but their buoyancy that makes the difference. Just because a fin is light or heavy does not make it more or less positive or negative. One thing that really irks me about Fin Manufacturers is for the most part they never list the fins buoyancy. It seems like a small matter, but for people like you and me it would really be of great benefit.

Thanks for pointing this out - I'll keep that in mind as I've always felt as though I've had heavy feet when free floating (not PADI yet).