PDA

View Full Version : Bio vs Atomic Slpit Fins

Lowrider
12-19-2007, 14:28
I am thinking about getting another pair of fins any suggestions between these the Apollo Bio and the Atomic Smoke on the water Split fins, they both were rated very high in Scuba Diving mag.

Mycroft
12-19-2007, 14:37
I have some of the original Atmoic that came out. I enjoy them and they work well. Your Milage May Vary.

teog
12-19-2007, 16:17
Ive been thinking about the same purchase. Just cant decide which to go with.

NitroWill
12-19-2007, 16:22
Ive tried the Original Atomic Splits and the bio fins. To me, the atomics feel like they are considerably less stiff then the bio fins yet the propulsion seemed ok. The bio fins are a good bit more stiff and dont feel like they are bending near as much as the atomics do. I am sure they are both good fins - but if I had to pick - I would go with the bio fins. You're best bet is to try both on in the pool and see what you prefer.

teog
12-19-2007, 16:26
Ive tried the Original Atomic Splits and the bio fins. To me, the atomics feel like they are considerably less stiff then the bio fins yet the propulsion seemed ok. The bio fins are a good bit more stiff and dont feel like they are bending near as much as the atomics do. I am sure they are both good fins - but if I had to pick - I would go with the bio fins. You're best bet is to try both on in the pool and see what you prefer.

This would be ideal is to try before you buy. I have only found one dealer of the atomics in Orlando. And never seen bio fins in the LDS here. Know of any place local Will?

NitroWill
12-19-2007, 16:32
This would be ideal is to try before you buy. I have only found one dealer of the atomics in Orlando. And never seen bio fins in the LDS here. Know of any place local Will?

Haven't seen one. According to Apollo the closest dealer to Orlando is in Ocala.

teog
12-19-2007, 16:37
Thats a bummer. I think though when Im ready next month to buy some new fins I am going with the bios. Theyve won best fins year after year. There must be a reason as to why.

Lake Diver
12-19-2007, 17:22
I have Atomics and love them...hardly feel like you have any fins on at all...with regular blade type fins my ankles would be sore after diving, now no problems...also you CAN get good control despite what others say, if you practice and are comfortable in the water...

Lowrider
12-20-2007, 08:56
Thanks for all of the input I think that I will go with the Bios when I get my new fins. I wish that there was some place to try out all new equipment before you buy it and if you have trouble in Florida trying out new stuff image what it is like in Connecticut.

BSea
12-20-2007, 09:13
Thanks for all of the input I think that I will go with the Bios when I get my new fins. I wish that there was some place to try out all new equipment before you buy it and if you have trouble in Florida trying out new stuff image what it is like in Connecticut.
It really just depends on what's available in your area. I have tried the Atomics at my LDS's pool, and plan on trying the new slingshots next time I go. But they don't carry Apollo. The only negative I've heard about apollo's is the foot pocket isn't as comfortable as others. But this isn't from personal experience, just from what I heard others say.

CompuDude
12-20-2007, 12:25
I've tried both and prefer the Apollos. They're a little shorter and thus more maneuverable and easier to pack. Both give similar amounts of thrust. The all-rubber bio-fin will outlive the plastic Atomic by far. I also prefer a little extra weight in my fins, so the rubber wins again.

thor
12-20-2007, 16:38
Another vote for Bios.

I've tried both and prefer the Apollos. They're a little shorter and thus more maneuverable and easier to pack. Both give similar amounts of thrust. The all-rubber bio-fin will outlive the plastic Atomic by far. I also prefer a little extra weight in my fins, so the rubber wins again.

I have also tried both and agree. Additionally, the Atomics are quite a bit longer which also makes it more of a tripping hazard when doing a giant stride off of a dive boat. I have found that the Bios are by far the most comfortable fin that I have used.

teog
12-21-2007, 15:46

Thats good to know about the length. Id prefer a shorter fin for packing.

divingmedic
12-22-2007, 16:14
I have to Atomic Split fins, while not the new Smoke on the Water ones, to me they rock. Just have to remember with the split fins, you do not kick like other fins, just small kicks from the ankles. On my recent trip to St Croix, we dove the pier there. On a leisurely run out to the end of the pier it was 44 minutes. But I made it back in 14 minutes. People that saw me come through said I looked like an attack sub hunting a missile sub :D

kobalap
12-22-2007, 22:19
Nothing wrong with either fin that a some duct tape won't fix. :)

teog
12-25-2007, 21:53
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Apollos tongiht. Cant wait to get them in.:)

DLXM Cayman
12-26-2007, 10:04
I had the atomics and now have the bios - both are great although I prefer the bios. The only thing to watch is the sizing which is always bigger than you think and also the weight (I found it made a big difference to my buoyancy and had to start from scratch). The bios are great underwater though and would definitely recommend them.

teog
12-26-2007, 11:36
I had the atomics and now have the bios - both are great although I prefer the bios. The only thing to watch is the sizing which is always bigger than you think and also the weight (I found it made a big difference to my buoyancy and had to start from scratch). The bios are great underwater though and would definitely recommend them.

This just makes me even more excited in the fact I choose the Bios over t he Atomics.:smiley20:

sks77
12-27-2007, 09:26
I have the Bios and love them. I have had them for 6 years or so and they are durable, comfortable, maneuverable, etc. Every time I put on another pair of fins, I come up from the dive frustrated and go back to my bios.

CC1020
12-27-2007, 10:53
Never tried the Bios, but I do love my Atomics

Goober
12-27-2007, 11:58
Well I took the plunge and ordered the Apollos tongiht. Cant wait to get them in.:)

So that makes you and RoadRacer that just ordered them. I would love to hear...One, how quick they get to you teog (your a bit closer to me). And Two...a proformance report ASAP:smiley20:

Quick rundown...I've had surgury on the left foot/ankle twice. The first time when I was 15 to repair a compound fracture of Tib and Fib above the ankle. Recently (5 months ago)to do an open tibial tendon repair in which they cut from the lower shin down to the middle of the foot.

Left femur has a rod. Have had surgury on the left knee to repair a miniscus tear. Right foot was crushed heel to toe sustaining multiple broken bones as a teenager.

So basicly I'm very interested in the Bios because of their claimed reduction in effort. I'm somewhat eager to hear how comfy the foot pocket is because of the incision from shin to foot left side.

I'm presently diving cressi rhondines. They are stiff yet I have only had trouble just a few times when I needed to fin hard for prolonged periods. I want some thing I can fight a current with and have no fear of straining a bit too much.

Thanks in advance,

James

teog
12-27-2007, 15:29

So that makes you and RoadRacer that just ordered them. I would love to hear...One, how quick they get to you teog (your a bit closer to me). And Two...a proformance report ASAP:smiley20:

Quick rundown...I've had surgury on the left foot/ankle twice. The first time when I was 15 to repair a compound fracture of Tib and Fib above the ankle. Recently (5 months ago)to do an open tibial tendon repair in which they cut from the lower shin down to the middle of the foot.

Left femur has a rod. Have had surgury on the left knee to repair a miniscus tear. Right foot was crushed heel to toe sustaining multiple broken bones as a teenager.

So basicly I'm very interested in the Bios because of their claimed reduction in effort. I'm somewhat eager to hear how comfy the foot pocket is because of the incision from shin to foot left side.

I'm presently diving cressi rhondines. They are stiff yet I have only had trouble just a few times when I needed to fin hard for prolonged periods. I want some thing I can fight a current with and have no fear of straining a bit too much.

Thanks in advance,

James

Will do. I hear from everyone that dives split fins is that they have an easier kick to them. So I would imagine any fin will benefit you. But you might as well buy the best.:smiley2:

Goober
12-27-2007, 15:47

Thanks in advance,

James

Will do. I hear from everyone that dives split fins is that they have an easier kick to them. So I would imagine any fin will benefit you. But you might as well buy the best.:smiley2:

I tend to agree with you. Something else I neglected to ask was if the regular bio-fin pros (which I'm assuming is what you got) can be converted to the spring strap down the road.

CompuDude
12-27-2007, 16:13
I tend to agree with you. Something else I neglected to ask was if the regular bio-fin pros (which I'm assuming is what you got) can be converted to the spring strap down the road.

Anything, bio-fins included, can be converted, although some easier than others.

Goober
12-27-2007, 16:36

Anything, bio-fins included, can be converted, although some easier than others.

Thank you.

Clanggedin
12-31-2007, 12:39
I bought a pair of Bin Fins w/ the spring strap.. Once you go to a spring strap you will never want to dive in a fin with regular straps again.

DLXM Cayman
12-31-2007, 15:44
yes do get them with the spring strap if you can stetch to the extra as they are great. You will use a lot less effort with the bios than a normal fin. The foot pocket is very large so factor that in when ordering. They are perfctly comfortable when wearing booties.