PDA

View Full Version : Henderson Thermoprene review

teog
12-19-2007, 17:06
Hello all,
I received my 3mm shortie thermoprene today in the mail. I havent had it in the water yet, hopefully soon.

The quality seems excellent. The stitching is well done and no mis-alignment that I have seen with cheaper brand wet suits. I was happy to receive an all black wetsuit. The logos are stylish and not a billboard for the wetsuit manufacture as seen with other manufactures.

The suit went on easy. Im a big boy at 6'2,230lb so I wear a xxl. The fit was excellent. The thermoprene material is more elastic than my conventional 3 mm suit. It allows for easy movement. The wife did notice that body parts seem to be more noticable in this suit.lol

So far I realy like it and cant wait to get it wet. Ill keep you posted.

hychang
12-21-2007, 06:01
Thanks for the review especially as I'm looking at them for warm water dives "I hope to make in the future." Looking forward to hearing how it performed in the water. Happy Holidays.

teog
12-21-2007, 15:48
Thanks for the review especially as I'm looking at them for warm water dives "I hope to make in the future." Looking forward to hearing how it performed in the water. Happy Holidays.

Ill keep you posted as soon as I get it in the water.

Goober
12-21-2007, 16:43
I as well appreciate the review as this is most likely the wetsuit I'm going with.

divingchef
12-21-2007, 18:43
hey Goober.....good luck with the body parts thing......this reminds of the corrupt a wish thread!

Merry Christmas!

Goober
12-21-2007, 19:24
Touch'e big guy! Merry chrismas to you as well bro!

divingchef
12-21-2007, 19:31
have you looked REAL closely at the photo in the ST site? Look real close....especially at the female model.....real close......notice anything strange? I know why you want wetsuit goober.....

kancho
12-21-2007, 22:56
I looked at it just now haha.. I never noticed it before.. I wonder if anyone got it before it went out to print?

teog
12-22-2007, 11:02
Thats too funny. Poor girl.

teog
03-03-2008, 00:33
Its been a couple of months since Ive purchased this wetsuit so I wanted to give an update.

I find this wetsuit very comfortable and easy to get on. I have plenty have movement with the theromprene material. Im glad i bought it from ST.

Aussie
03-03-2008, 03:34
Its been a couple of months since Ive purchased this wetsuit so I wanted to give an update.

I find this wetsuit very comfortable and easy to get on. I have plenty have movement with the theromprene material. Im glad i bought it from ST.

How many dives have you racked up on this wetsuit?
Henderson wetsuits are great new but if your doing alot of diving they dont seem to last the distance. All of my Hendersons have had their seams redone with extra glue (aquaseal) as they started to fall apart. One friend had a insta-dry and had it replaced 3 times other friend had one replaced 5 times.

Aussie

Zenagirl
03-03-2008, 07:55
Wow, I have to wonder if sometimes there are simply bad "batches" of suits from Henderson. Both my husband and I have Hyperstretch suits with well over 100 dives on them and they both look nearly new with no seam or other problems. The only problem we're having is that they're getting rather compressed and we'll need new suits later this year.

Byte Me
03-03-2008, 08:32
For what ST is charging for these 3mm suites I had to pick one up. I was fine in my $19 cheapo 2mm shorty in Playa last December but I knew I'd need a full 3mm. Much more comfy than my shorty and easy to get in and out of. I bought based on how much I like my 7mm gold core farmer john from Henderson and am really happy with it. Of course, since it's still frozen around here I've only worn it around the house. I'll be testing it out in May and November in Playa and Jamaica.

teog
03-03-2008, 12:02

Henderson wetsuits are great new but if your doing alot of diving they dont seem to last the distance. All of my Hendersons have had their seams redone with extra glue (aquaseal) as they started to fall apart. One friend had a insta-dry and had it replaced 3 times other friend had one replaced 5 times.

Aussie

I have owned a couple hendersons over the years and never had any issues with them. Im only a warm water diver so no dry suit here.

I have 14 dives so far on this suit.

CompuDude
03-03-2008, 12:47

Aussie

Super-stretchy neoprenes all come with a drawback. They get compressed quickly and don't last as long as other neoprenes. That's the price you pay for comfort... there's just no getting around certain realities of neoprene materials.

Instadry's don't last as long. That's true. It's not that there is something inherently wrong with them, it's the lack of the nylon-bonded layer that gives them their quick-drying properties. Neoprene isn't very strong, by itself, and while the coating they use instead of nylon helps, a coating is nowhere near as strong/durable as an actual nylon layer. So that's your trade-off with the instadry.

There are no free lunches. :(

That said, I still really like the instadry. You just have to be willing to accept the shorter lifespan in return for the quick-dry advantage.

Aussie
03-04-2008, 05:34

Aussie

Super-stretchy neoprenes all come with a drawback. They get compressed quickly and don't last as long as other neoprenes. That's the price you pay for comfort... there's just no getting around certain realities of neoprene materials.

Instadry's don't last as long. That's true. It's not that there is something inherently wrong with them, it's the lack of the nylon-bonded layer that gives them their quick-drying properties. Neoprene isn't very strong, by itself, and while the coating they use instead of nylon helps, a coating is nowhere near as strong/durable as an actual nylon layer. So that's your trade-off with the instadry.

There are no free lunches. :(

That said, I still really like the instadry. You just have to be willing to accept the shorter lifespan in return for the quick-dry advantage.

The price you pay for comfort and quick drying properties.

I dont think $1000AUD (thats how much the instra-dry retailed for over here) for a wetsuit that rips and falls apart after 3 months is a good trade off. All my friends said that the instra-dry was a great suit when new but only after a couple of months of regular use it ripped and fell apart.

It does come down to the amount of use a wetsuit also gets. Honestly If I get more than 12 months use out of any wetsuit I am lucky but if your only diving the average 20-30 dives a year well you might get a few years of service out of a good suit.

I find my Hendersons Semi-drys are much better after I took to them with aquaseal and put extra sealant on the stress point and anything that even looked like it was coming apart. I have 3 of these suits and I got them cheap enough to throw away after 9-12 months.

Aussie

CompuDude
03-04-2008, 09:21
The price you pay for comfort and quick drying properties.

I dont think $1000AUD (thats how much the instra-dry retailed for over here) for a wetsuit that rips and falls apart after 3 months is a good trade off. All my friends said that the instra-dry was a great suit when new but only after a couple of months of regular use it ripped and fell apart.

It does come down to the amount of use a wetsuit also gets. Honestly If I get more than 12 months use out of any wetsuit I am lucky but if your only diving the average 20-30 dives a year well you might get a few years of service out of a good suit.

I find my Hendersons Semi-drys are much better after I took to them with aquaseal and put extra sealant on the stress point and anything that even looked like it was coming apart. I have 3 of these suits and I got them cheap enough to throw away after 9-12 months.

Aussie

If your friend's insta-dry only lasted 3 months, I agree completely. Henderson does have a manufacturer warranty, however, and that would be a prime reason to take advantage of it.

Mine is no longer in pristine condition, but it has well over a hundred dives on it and is a couple years old, and it still definitely in good enough shape to keep using here in SoCal's 50-60F temps. (Although I really only use it when assisting classes and in the summer at this point, as I prefer diving dry once it dips much under 60F.)